Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Sooo funny!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My son is ADHD, and I don't medicate him. I give him iced tea in a container to take to school, it keeps him focused uptil the last 10 or so minutes of school.
  • emfilomena
    emfilomena Posts: 120
    Options
    LMAO! Hilarious :') So my mind track...

I'm hungry! *goes to kitchen, but stops in living room* .. Oh what's on tv? *sits down and forgets to tend to other things*
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Poster hanging in my aunt's kitchen:

" people say I have ADD but I don't th-
    Oh look! A chicken!"

My daughter spied it the moment we walked in her house a few months after she (my daughter) was diagnosed with ADD. We often quote it in our house.

I like the references to shiny.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    My wife has learned my train-jumping ways. She just laughs and tries to follow my never ending stream of jumping from track to track.

Pinup - You husband sounds a lot like me, but I've never bother being actually diagnosed.

JM

I know how your wife feels! We are very special, for putting up with your confusing ways :wink: I love my husband to bits, but a lot of the stuff he did used to drive me CRAZY until I finally figured out it's just how his mind works.

Yes, at first things I did & having conversations could be really frustrating. Leaving one task have done to go do or finish drove her crazy. I would walk through the house (mid task for a class or water or something) for something and start doing something completely different, totally abandoning the original task wherever it was :laugh:

JM
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I am now crushing on ElizabethRoad for her comment on this thread.
    I appreciate good swearing/ use of ****s
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options
    Can all the debating stop? It's the fun and games board! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

adhdlogo.gif
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    did someone mention Wheaties?
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I sold my pills in highschool! 5 bucks a 90 Mg. POP!!!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    For some reason, this comic makes me sad.

IlZ5Y.png

And this is exactly why I can't bring myself to put my son on meds.

I advocate not putting your son on meds unless absolutely necessary. I had ADHD growing up. With the help of my teachers and mom I was able to deal with it and learn other methods of helping me stay focused, remember homework, and minimize day dreaming. My mom would conference with my teachers often as they developed way to help me concentrate. Things that helped me were:

Color coding
    Underlining
    Taking Notes
    Eye Contact (though later in my academic career this stopped being a helpful method)

I was put in special classes for a while until I was able to catch up. I think I am much better for it. I do take medication occasionally now when I know that the tools I have just aren't quite enough. There are the everyday things that drive me crazy but this is where routine and consistency plays a vital role in my everyday life.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    My son is ADHD, and I don't medicate him. I give him iced tea in a container to take to school, it keeps him focused uptil the last 10 or so minutes of school.

In a lot of cases (you son's too is seems) caffeine actually helps with concentration. I know more that 2 cups as me ready to doze.

On the other hand, Benedryl wires me up to the point i can't function then have a terrible crash.

JM
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

In a lot of cases (you son's too is seems) caffeine actually helps with concentration. I know more that 2 cups as me ready to doze.

On the other hand, Benedryl wires me up to the point i can't function then have a terrible crash.

JM

Are you sure we're not each half of the same couple? Because everything you say is my husband to a T! He self-medicates with caffeine and gets totally weird on Benedryl :laugh:
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    I actually can't take a lot of medications because they don't do what they're supposed to. OTC sleep aids? I'm laying there, brain going 90 miles a minute, wide awake, but can't hardly move my limbs. Total misery.

JM
  • pinuplove
    Options
    I actually can't take a lot of medications because they don't do what they're supposed to. OTC sleep aids? I'm laying there, brain going 90 miles a minute, wide awake, but can't hardly move my limbs. Total misery.

JM

I feel for you! My husband is the same. He is awake a lot at night, but can't take anything because it all messes with his head but doesn't make him tired. He's just gotten really good at functioning on a few hours sleep.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options

JM

Are you sure we're not each half of the same couple? Because everything you say is my husband to a T! He self-medicates with caffeine and gets totally weird on Benedryl :laugh:

All right, you two: Do you like Pina Coladas? Getting caught in the rain?
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ha our family always calls it the blue ball syndrome, as for my youngest he is borderline dyslexic and has ADHD, my husband he is the same way, my oldest son and he has learned to cope with it really well to where he doesn’t get as distracted. I myself have learned to cope as well the only time I get distracted is if I have to be in a meeting or training for more than an hour.
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    :laugh: If you like piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain

Oh to be in the islands under a palm with a piña colada!

JM
  • pinuplove
    Options

JM

All right, you two: Do you like Pina Coladas? Getting caught in the rain?

LMAO! I hope not :blushing:
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For some reason, this comic makes me sad.

IlZ5Y.png

And this is exactly why I can't bring myself to put my son on meds.

I advocate not putting your son on meds unless absolutely necessary. I had ADHD growing up. With the help of my teachers and mom I was able to deal with it and learn other methods of helping me stay focused, remember homework, and minimize day dreaming. My mom would conference with my teachers often as they developed way to help me concentrate. Things that helped me were:

Color coding
    Underlining
    Taking Notes
    Eye Contact (though later in my academic career this stopped being a helpful method)

I was put in special classes for a while until I was able to catch up. I think I am much better for it. I do take medication occasionally now when I know that the tools I have just aren't quite enough. There are the everyday things that drive me crazy but this is where routine and consistency plays a vital role in my everyday life.

This entire chain of thought is highly worrisome to me. It is true that SOME PEOPLE do better without meds. MANY OF US with ADD, however, do need our medications to get by in life. It seems straight up dangerous to be using both propaganda and personal anecdotes to present only one side of the coin.

I cannot organize my thoughts without pumping my mind full of stimulants. A drug prescribed by my doctor is best, but a pot of coffee works well enough in a pinch. If you cannot imagine how a pot of coffee helps me to concentrate, please understand that you mind and mine work differently.

The brain of an individual with ADD generally functions best while in a novel environment or under stress. Our thoughts generally "clear up" under the very same circumstances most people's thoughts get confused. We are great to have around when our family is going through a crisis, but we are also not likely to remember to pick up milk on the way home.

My medicine, or coffee or nicotine before I was diagnosed, allow me to focus on "every day" activities. I use accommodations to help me, but all of the accommodations in the world will not help me to organize my internal dialog. Being medicated makes my life better.

If you or your child ever receive medication for ADD/ADHD and it takes away the thrill from life - talk to your doctor about it. Medication is not the right solution for everyone, but it has its place. It does not need to take away the "fun" or the "spark" that makes life interesting. I am just as creative on my meds as I was off of them but now I actually manage to finish more of the projects I start.