why are people afraid of 'fats'?

Options
Hey guys

I read many diaries and have noticed the lack of healthy fats in peoples diaries.

Given fat from fries, crisps, chocolate is garbage. But what about fats from nuts, nut butters, olive oil, udos oil, Eggs, avocados?

These fats help to keep you lean...

Why are people afraid of eating 'fats'? It would be good to get some feedback so people in general can be helped and encouraged to et healthy fats.

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I am not affraid of them and I am usually not concerned if I go over as long as they are good fats (nuts,salmon, eggs,etc)

A lot of people are also afraid of carbs that come from fruits and vegetables. I don't get this either. If you eat a well balanced diet, you should have a little bit of all areas in your nutrition.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    love me some EVOO, pistachios, peanut butter, avocados, etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm only afraid of spiders, ghosts and clowns.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on my peanut butter. No fear here!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Organizations like the American Heart Association confuse people when they talk out of both sides of their mouths when the tout the benefits of all things "low fat," yet their own guidelines recommend 50-70g of fat per day on a 2,000 calorie diet.

/rant
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Most people shy away from avocados and nuts with a high calorie content, not the fat itself.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I ain't afraid of no fats! lol

On that note, most people are just not educated about the difference between healthy vs unhealthy fats.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I eat fat!

(granted sometimes the garbage fat but not too much but every day I try to make sure i have good fat)

Women need fat!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm only afraid of spiders, ghosts and clowns.

I'm afraid of mice, and teeth falling out.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know.
    I eat PB like it's my job.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think when you're talking about fats and losing weight, people tend to mistake healthy fats for 'bad fats' just because it has a lot of fat in.
    I'm really trying to get my fats from healthier foods. :) Peanut butter is great and I've started eating more eggs too.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on my peanut butter. No fear here!

hahahahaha

PB on PB.... me too! mmmmmm
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else - but certainly for me, I have my calorie count down quite well and am now just starting to work out better, more healthy options - It's a slow process but certainly most of my life the emphasis has been that fat is "bad" and although I am aware of things like the oil in say avacadoes or peanut butter being an ok kind of fat, I still feel a bit reluctant to seek out fat as a healthy choice.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love healthy fats!!!

I eat quite a bit, and you are totally right..they are essential!
  • calcrunch
    calcrunch Posts: 18
    Options
    Goood post!

Importance of Dietary Fat
    Dietary fat contains nine calories per gram, which is more than double what protein and carbohydrates contain, four calories per gram. Because of this, dietary fat can be helpful for providing energy to fuel exercise and other strenuous activity. Dietary fat also helps your body absorb vitamins, and promotes proper growth and development. The American Heart Association suggests consuming between 25 and 35 percent of your daily calories from dietary fat.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids
    Omega-3 fatty acids are unsaturated fats that are found in fatty fish, olive oil and nuts. Omega-3 fatty acids are purported to improve heart health, but research indicates that this type of fat may also promote muscle gain. A study published in the October 2010 issue of the "Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition" found that six weeks of supplementation with an omega-3 fatty acid product resulted in a .5 kg, or 1.1 lb, gain in muscle mass and a 1.1 lb. reduction in fat mass.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/428268-fat-intake-causes-muscle-growth/#ixzz1nt7zZ4lU
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My husband is weird about this too! When he asks me to read the fat content on any food, I always point out "but it's unsaturated fat, the good kind". He doesn't like for me to cook with EVOO either (like I'll make his separate, even though I use it pretty sparingly). I just want to shake him!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I ain't afraid of no fats! lol

On that note, most people are just not educated about the difference between healthy vs unhealthy fats.

And on another note..................people are afraid of Saturated Fat when they should really be afraid of the PUFA's that are in vegetable oils such as corn, soy or canola oil.

Saturated fat is ESSENTIAL in moderate quantities for proper brain function and other body functions down at the cellular level.

It is common sense to know that saturated fat is healthier for us than we have been lead to believe. Come on now, saturated fat is the main component of breast milk...........
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My husband is weird about this too! When he asks me to read the fat content on any food, I always point out "but it's unsaturated fat, the good kind". He doesn't like for me to cook with EVOO either (like I'll make his separate, even though I'm use it pretty sparingly). I just want to shake him!

Saturated fat is not a bad fat. It has been unnecessarily demonized by one Ancel Keys and the AHA took and ran with it. SMH
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid of fats at all!! I eat peanut butter, almonds, fish. Yummy!!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    - Never Diet, always moderate
    - Say no to processed food (preservatives are sodium based and bad for you)
    - Reduce 3 white poisons Salt/Sugar/Flour
    - A diet rich in lean meat and fresh greens is the best