why are people afraid of 'fats'?

Options

Replies

• Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Love olive oil,nut butters,nuts and avacados! I try to have at least one good fat a day (didn't have any yesterday so ill try to get in two)
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

why are people afraid of 'fats'?

Because "fat" rhymes with "fat" which sounds a lot like the "fat" that settled onto our "fat" @sses forcing us to exercise to melt away our "fat" . Not to be confused with "phat", btw.
  • TwistedBanana
    Options
    I'm only afraid of spiders, ghosts and clowns.

I'm afraid of mice, and teeth falling out.

I'm afraid of all the above (not particularly the teeth, but I wouldn't like that to happen lol) we just had a mouse in our apartment =O but we caught him last night :D

and I believe it's the lack of knowledge about food and it's nutritional value. The media isn't much help with them pushing these "non-fat" and "sugar-free" options when in reality we have all the food we need on earth and we don't really need to mess with it as much as we do. We are fast pace people with our high-speed internet and 3g stuff so we all want results NOW and that includes weight loss. I think most people are looking for a quick fix, but if they were educated more about food then they would be less afraid of fats and more afraid of these crazy "diets" that the media pushes on us (:
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am afraid.. when i look in the mirror at my fat, i am scurred to death ahhh! scurry
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    PS - Now we see all the primal/paleo people come out of the woodwork, we love this stuff :)
  • GlfWid0
    GlfWid0 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Since I've started eating healthier(2 months ago) I pretty much each one whole avocado a day and I'm dropping pounds.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be debbie downer to all the peanut butter people..but most store bought peanut butters have hydronated oils in them. I'm considering doing as suggested by some and making my own with a food processor and dry roasted peanuts so I know what the one ingredient is.

The question is, how much?

Answer: not even enough to measure

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11368602
    The fatty acid composition of 11 brands of peanut butter and paste freshly prepared from roasted peanuts was analyzed with emphasis on isomeric trans-fatty acids. No trans-fatty acids were detected in any of the samples in an analytical system with a detection threshold of 0.01% of the sample weight. Hydrogenated vegetable oils are added to peanut butters at levels of 1--2% to prevent oil separation. Some hydrogenated vegetable oils are known to be sources of trans-fatty acids in the human diet. The addition of these products was not found to result in measurable amounts of trans-fatty acids in the peanut butters analyzed.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    From my own experience...I think that most people don't know the difference between "healthy" fats and not so healthy fats, so they just abstain from all.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I usually forget to log mine. For instance, I cook with EVOO but I never log it. And I put avocado on a lot of things too but I forget to log it or I just don't because I've talked myself into believing that since it's a fruit, I can spread it on everything and eat it all day. I do log my nuts though.

even though they may be "good" calories, they can add up very fast. you really should log them unless you arent concerned with your total calories
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Come on now, saturated fat is the main component of breast milk...........
    How is that, when it has almost twice as much lactose (carb) as it does total fat, and over twenty times as much water as fat?

That being said, I only cook with saturated fats (organic extra virgin coconut oil or organic butter) and agree that trans fats are the enemy, here.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I LOVE good fats (peanut butter, almonds and olive oil)... I especially like them because of their calorie density... they help me out tremendously on days when I'm having a hard time meeting my calorie goals.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    because fat makes you fat, duhhhhhhh.

jk.

i eat probably 80g+ of fat per day.

i think people are confused because for most of their lives they've heard that "low fat is the way to go!" "fat is bad!' "fat will give you heart attacks!" when all along, healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and portion-controlled nuts are very healthy and are important to everyone's diet.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be debbie downer to all the peanut butter people..but most store bought peanut butters have hydronated oils in them. I'm considering doing as suggested by some and making my own with a food processor and dry roasted peanuts so I know what the one ingredient is.

All you have to do is flip the jar over and read the label. There are plenty of nut butters out there that do not have any hydrogenated oils in them.
  • sarahmindbodysoul
    Options
    simply because someone told them to stay away from fats or someone didn't do alot of research on it...:) your body needs a balance of everything and people don't get that. its all in moderation.:smile:
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It made sense to me when I saw some cheezy video on weight loss when I first started mfp...about how your liver has two jobs, to break down fat and to process all the bad/fake stuff we consume. If its busy with all the fake stuff it cant do a good job with fat. That may be over simplified but it helped me understand the importance of cutting mad made ingredients out.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Fat is my BFF - but all of mine is plant based.

My hair is better and so are my moods. Women especially need fats for hormone regulation. Low fat dieting is for the birds!
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I ain't afraid of no fats! lol

On that note, most people are just not educated about the difference between healthy vs unhealthy fats.

^^THIS

The only fat I am afraid of is the % of me that is made of fat!
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I still prefer my glass of whole milk for creal and with my p&j sandwich and cheeses for snacking and in my salads, I also use real butter and my cholesterol is usually under and my docs are happy w ith my levels. I just use it all in moderation.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a chicken fat sandwich right now.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I think some people think that 'fats' will magically make them 'fat' because of the name. Plus the media demonized fats for a while before they decided to demonize sugar and carbs.