"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Jenna Renee is my newest fitness motivator. She lifts heavy weights and is muscular!!!

jenna.jpg

jenna_renee_5.jpg

jennajamie.jpg

Muscular?????? From Where???? Ewwhh NO!!

Jamie Eason YES!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In.

I have bulky days. Today I'm feeling pretty bulky. Wah wah wah. I need chocolate.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Whatever Jessica Biel is...I'll take two!
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    1555505_423252987778394_1759159647_n_zpsddb62e6b.jpg
    1486618_418426398261053_762656842_n_zps4e73ba50.jpg
    ed7968e1-5989-4230-8d7b-b7026c83afe2_zps2b1cbaa1.jpg

Now this is WOW!!
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Jenna Renee is my newest fitness motivator. She lifts heavy weights and is muscular!!!

jenna.jpg

jenna_renee_5.jpg

jennajamie.jpg

Agree! Jamie Eason ROCKS!!!!
    Muscular?????? From Where???? Ewwhh NO!!

Jamie Eason YES!!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like them all. Bulky, muscular, whatever. Beautiful women!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    1555505_423252987778394_1759159647_n_zpsddb62e6b.jpg
    1486618_418426398261053_762656842_n_zps4e73ba50.jpg
    ed7968e1-5989-4230-8d7b-b7026c83afe2_zps2b1cbaa1.jpg

Now this is WOW!!
    Drool.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Having to define bulky and muscular again.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Had to bump this. I think it would be helpful if when women post concerns about bulk,hugeness,muscleyness or whatever you want to call it the poster should show pics of what they are now or what they dont want to become. It would save a the rest of us from going at each other in the defense of lifting heavy. And thanks for answering the question i was going to ask.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wanted people here (especially females) to know what the difference is between "bulky" and "muscular" because for some reason, many think they are one in the same when they aren't. So first let's define the words:

bulk·y (blk)
    adj. bulk·i·er, bulk·i·est
    1. Having considerable bulk; massive.
    2. Of large size for its weight: a bulky knit.
    3. Clumsy to manage; unwieldy.

mus·cu·lar (msky-lr)
    adj.
    1. Of, relating to, or consisting of muscle: muscular contraction.
    2. Having well-developed muscles: a muscular build.
    3. Having or suggesting great forcefulness, especially at the expense of subtlety: muscular reasoning that does not bother with the finer points; muscular advocacy groups.

bobrien.jpg

This would be BULKY

fitnessgirl1.jpg

This (at least here on the forums by most members) would be MUSCULAR

As you can see there is a definite difference. So when a female here says "she looks too bulky" and is referring to a "muscular" female, then the description is WRONG. What should be said is she is "too muscular" for my liking. Now of course "muscularity" is defined by how much definition and body fat you're carrying so you can be muscular and not so defined. Like this:

BielBlue1.jpg
    BielWorkingOutJun2006368.jpg
    Just thought that needed to cleared up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm sorry but I feel like that shot putter is very muscular, she is also bulky.
    She's "muscular" with a layer of fat covering the muscle which is defined as "bulky".
    I think the second girl is what I would call very defined, not muscular, I don't think she has a whole lot of muscle mass, just low bodyfat.
    She has a degree of muscularity not carried by the average female. One can be "defined" without muscularity. Lots of long distance runners are like this. Defined in the upper body, but carrying very little muscularity.
    Jessica biel I would say is muscular and I think she is quite defined too, not as much as the second girl but still very defined compared to the average person.
    But again more athletic and muscular compared to the average actress in Hollywood.
    I understand what you are trying to do though, many girls confuse muscle definition with being bulky. A lot of girls just don't want to have that much muscle definition. What they want is enough definition to avoid saggy skin but not so much that muscle striations begin to show through the skin.
    As mentioned one can have definition without much muscularity.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Nice post.
    Guess I am classed as muscular, although I have been told I am just very lean @ 12% bodyfat.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that you can accurately define a word to be one thing or another, and relate it to a specific type of body shape.

The exception to this are scientific words that most people never get to see, but they're out there, defining slight variations of one thing or another.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that you can accurately define a word to be one thing or another, and relate it to a specific type of body shape.

The exception to this are scientific words that most people never get to see, but they're out there, defining slight variations of one thing or another.

There are words which have specific meanings in the fitness world, developed over decades of use. People on MFP confuse them regularly.

The OP was spot on.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options

There are words which have specific meanings in the fitness world, developed over decades of use. People on MFP confuse them regularly.

The OP was spot on.

So there is "Bulky" and "Muscular", what are the other names that the fitness world has defined?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

The OP was spot on.

So there is "Bulky" and "Muscular", what are the other names that the fitness world has defined?
    There is "ripped", "shredded", "jacked", "juiced", "cut", "natty", "freaky" to name a few.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition