"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options

Replies

• foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    wwgp4m.jpg

Honest question, do the women here think she's bulky? Olympic tier female weightlifter in the 75kg weight class.

For me, I wouldn't say she was bulky... but i do think she would look muscular or for lack of a better word "toned" if she lost a few % body fat. The OP's example of the other olympic female competitor...she did look bulky to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    More muscular in "competition" and "bulkier" in the offseason. TIANNA TA is one of my favs.
    interview-tianna-ta_asm.jpg
    tianna_ta.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I want to be whatever Jamie Eason is =)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    More muscular in "competition" and "bulkier" in the offseason. TIANNA TA is one of my favs.
    tianna_ta.jpg

Perfect example! Same physique...just a little more bodyfat in the off season.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Great thread, making a much needed point. I am ummm permanently in the "off season" :happy:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    good post
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Great thread, making a much needed point. I am ummm permanently in the "off season" :happy:

As if that is a bad thing!!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    *like* Especially's Rae's breakdown.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    If you like bulky gymnasts, you're about to be in paradise!

Gymnast_Muscles_2_by_tonyyy.jpg
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Many women aren't concerned about bulking up; rather, they're worried about getting bigger in certain areas of their bodies. Not every woman who works out is going to look like the fitness model illustrating the "muscular"look, just as not every man who works out will develop the physique of a body builder. Genetics and other factors play a role.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think Zoe Smith looks great! Would a body fat of around 20% show a woman's muscles or have a more softer look?
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    So how do I become "muscular and defined" for a woman who has a lot of muscle but also fat, eats at a calorie deficit, and wants to start weight lifting for better definition and strength?

I always liked the thin "toned" look thinking that was supposed to be the ideal for a woman but now like the "muscular defined look BETTER! I will never be thin so why try!!! I think all the women in the pictures are beautiful....

What you need to do is lose fat while maintaining this muscle you already have. This is done by dieting at a moderate calorie deficit (which means loss will be slower but this is good). Eating adequate protein while dieting (1 gram per pound of lean body mass). And, lasting, by strength training with "heavy" (for you) weights.

Ok so I'm set at a 0.7 lb/ week deficit, strength training 3 days a week, 3 sets of 8 reps as much as I can take with each so I am shaking and pausing (trying not to!) between reps. Cardio on alternate days. Not sure of my BF% but I'm trying to lose about 25 lb. more.
    I'm trying to build muscle but lose weight, get more definition. Lots of reading from different sources suggests it can be done, just really tricky.
    Do I have a shot at it? This is so much more than "burn more than you eat".
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My favorite thread from today. Thank you:smile:
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I don't care how I appear.. As long as what I see and feel from my efforts are rewarding to me.. bulky .. muscular.. Long as I'm feeling fit and fab.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Currently "bulky" but much happier than when I was obese! Getting strong, just working towards lowering body fat at this point! :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    tianna_ta.jpg

Perfect example! Same physique...just a little more bodyfat in the off season.

Yeh, that's a great example. Thanks.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So how do I become "muscular and defined" for a woman who has a lot of muscle but also fat, eats at a calorie deficit, and wants to start weight lifting for better definition and strength?

I always liked the thin "toned" look thinking that was supposed to be the ideal for a woman but now like the "muscular defined look BETTER! I will never be thin so why try!!! I think all the women in the pictures are beautiful....

What you need to do is lose fat while maintaining this muscle you already have. This is done by dieting at a moderate calorie deficit (which means loss will be slower but this is good). Eating adequate protein while dieting (1 gram per pound of lean body mass). And, lasting, by strength training with "heavy" (for you) weights.

Could you have really muscular legs with a lot of fat on them, start training as a beginner, have a moderate calorie deficit and gain some more muscle on legs and lose some fat at the same time? Your legs become more muscular than you would like?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Could you have really muscular legs with a lot of fat on them, start training as a beginner, have a moderate calorie deficit and gain some more muscle on legs and lose some fat at the same time? Your legs become more muscular than you would like?

if you're eating at a deficit then the odds of you gaining muscle are very very very low. you would more than likely end up gaining strength and keeping the muscle you had when you began
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

The off-season is my goal. ;)