"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    So how do I become "muscular and defined" for a woman who has a lot of muscle but also fat, eats at a calorie deficit, and wants to start weight lifting for better definition and strength?

I always liked the thin "toned" look thinking that was supposed to be the ideal for a woman but now like the "muscular defined look BETTER! I will never be thin so why try!!! I think all the women in the pictures are beautiful....

What you need to do is lose fat while maintaining this muscle you already have. This is done by dieting at a moderate calorie deficit (which means loss will be slower but this is good). Eating adequate protein while dieting (1 gram per pound of lean body mass). And, lasting, by strength training with "heavy" (for you) weights.
    Yep. This is right on track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I think its a bit inappropriate to post pics of other people and critique their physique the way you did. They aren't in a body building comptetion, and you aren't their judge. You have no idea how much lean body mass either of those people have. The person you labelled as "bulky" could easily have significantly more muscle than the person you labelled as "muscular." So... basically you just posted a picture of someone you presumably don't know and called them fat.

WAY TO GO!
    He didn't call anyone fat. He said she was muscular, but had a higher BF% than the others. That's what bulky means. No matter how much muscle she has, which looks to be quite a bit, there's absolutely no denying that her body fat percentage is not low. If that's how she's happy, that's wonderful. She's an athlete, so presumably very strong and healthy.

But people love to be insulted, so....
    Yup, you are correct, he did not say fat....
    BUT......he did call the 1st woman bulky.... aka "massive, & large for its weight". Which is even more insulting, especially to those who started strength training before they hit there goal weight.
    Hello! That's the definition of bulky in the fitness world. A powerlifter is bulky whether it be a man or woman. Most people who do any power sports (shotput, discus, Olympic lifting, etc.) will be bulky because having more body fat, than say a sprinter or gymnast, gives them more power for their sport.
    You don't like the term, call up all the dictionaries online and have them change it. Geez.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm going to do a little nitpicking here just because I think this is what turns a lot of people off from some sports, especially strength sports, because there becomes a stereotype about lifters being bulky or fat; especially in the strength sports. It's pretty exclusive to the higher weight classes in Powerlifting and Oly Lifting that they're carrying a lot of fat. I know or have followed a fair amount of powerlifters that are in the lower weight classes who are below 10% bodyfat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think its a bit inappropriate to post pics of other people and critique their physique the way you did. They aren't in a body building comptetion, and you aren't their judge. You have no idea how much lean body mass either of those people have. The person you labelled as "bulky" could easily have significantly more muscle than the person you labelled as "muscular." So... basically you just posted a picture of someone you presumably don't know and called them fat.

WAY TO GO!
    He didn't call anyone fat. He said she was muscular, but had a higher BF% than the others. That's what bulky means. No matter how much muscle she has, which looks to be quite a bit, there's absolutely no denying that her body fat percentage is not low. If that's how she's happy, that's wonderful. She's an athlete, so presumably very strong and healthy.

BUT......he did call the 1st woman bulky.... aka "massive, & large for its weight". Which is even more insulting, especially to those who started strength training before they hit there goal weight.
    Hello! That's the definition of bulky in the fitness world. A powerlifter is bulky whether it be a man or woman. Most people who do any power sports (shotput, discus, Olympic lifting, etc.) will be bulky because having more body fat, than say a sprinter or gymnast, gives them more power for their sport.
    You don't like the term, call up all the dictionaries online and have them change it. Geez.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm going to do a little nitpicking here just because I think this is what turns a lot of people off from some sports, especially strength sports, because there becomes a stereotype about lifters being bulky or fat; especially in the strength sports. It's pretty exclusive to the higher weight classes in Powerlifting and Oly Lifting that they're carrying a lot of fat. I know or have followed a fair amount of powerlifters that are in the lower weight classes who are below 10% bodyfat.
    I don't disagree with the lower weight class competitors having a more muscular look than the higher weight who are bulkier. Honestly I think the majority of females around the world wouldn't even want to look like a female Olympic sprinter because they seem to "muscly" and "ripped" to be feminine enough.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

WAY TO GO!

IDEA Fitness member

I don't disagree with the lower weight class competitors having a more muscular look than the higher weight who are bulkier. Honestly I think the majority of females around the world wouldn't even want to look like a female Olympic sprinter because they seem to "muscly" and "ripped" to be feminine enough.

IDEA Fitness member

I guess it all has to do with personality. The female lifters that really get into a sport have passion for something and don't give a **** if random guys like the physique produced by their sport or not. That dedication and confidence in itself is incredibly attractive.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    wwgp4m.jpg

Honest question, do the women here think she's bulky? Olympic tier female weightlifter in the 75kg weight class.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wwgp4m.jpg

Honest question, do the women here think she's bulky? Olympic tier female weightlifter in the 75kg weight class.

nope not bulky but then again this is one of my body goals

tumblr_lsx8yhwEBZ1qap0pi.jpg
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    much is in the eye of the beholder, of course

My girlfriend is muscular. My ex-wife is bulky.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So to sum up:

Bulky = muscular with high body fat, 27%+

Muscular = muscles with moderate body fat. 20% to 26%

Muscular and defined = muscles and lower body fat 12% to 19%

Ah, you have just answered my question from my Lean Mass post regarding ideal Bodyfat%.

Thanks. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

WAY TO GO!

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I guess it all has to do with personality. The female lifters that really get into a sport have passion for something and don't give a **** if random guys like the physique produced by their sport or not. That dedication and confidence in itself is incredibly attractive.
    Agreed. I find myself drawn to females with athletic physiques compared to the Hollywood "toned" (hate that word) look that many a female tries to accomplish.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    given the picture of bulk, I deem myself bulky - although I prefer "Clydesdale" or "Tank" :wink:

I wonder if she'd classify as "bulky" too
    529765_280862238663078_176737755742194_678913_408677805_n.jpg
  • hunnyspice
    hunnyspice Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!! Now I just gotta shove the laptop in my aunts face. Told her I was lifting weights and her response was: "What you want to look like Popeye?" WTF!!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I think this is what most women think of when they say 'bulk up like a man'. What they don't realize is the amount of effort, supplements, and overall just seriously hard work this woman had to input to gain this kind of physique.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This is Zoe Smith, a 17-year-old Olympic weightlifter for Team GB. I think she's a perfect role model for young aspiring athletes.
    Zoe-Smith-007.jpg

ZoeSmith.jpg
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

I think this is what most women think of when they say 'bulk up like a man'. What they don't realize is the amount of effort, supplements, and overall just seriously hard work this woman had to input to gain this kind of physique.

what they also don't realize is how great and feminine she does look in a dress!
  • Luvlymonee
    Options
    bump
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    hrmmm i kinda like the "bulky" chick in the OP
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

what they also don't realize is how great and feminine she does look in a dress!

Oh I'm sure of it! And I've a ton of respect for a woman that puts that much effort into ANY personal goal.

For my personal preferance on a woman, I'd like about 10% more bodyfat to smooth out the curves, but the amount of muscle she has is not a negative. Zuzanna from bodyrock is another good example of what I mean lol. When she's leaned out, she puts me in mind of a skinned rabbit =l. Add a little bodyfat to the same physique, and wow.

Examples:

Lean first
    Zuzana1.png

And with a bit of bodyfat.
    13.%252520Zuzana%252520Light.jpg

Same physique.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    given the picture of bulk, I deem myself bulky - although I prefer "Clydesdale" or "Tank" :wink:

I wonder if she'd classify as "bulky" too
    Nah. Muscular but not bulky.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    This is Zoe Smith, a 17-year-old Olympic weightlifter for Team GB. I think she's a perfect role model for young aspiring athletes.
    Zoe-Smith-007.jpg

ZoeSmith.jpg

According to Florida age of consent, this probably makes me a creeper, but daaaaayumn!