"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    nice post, ninerbuff!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You forgot to cite your peer reviewed studies on this.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So to sum up:

Bulky = muscular with high body fat, 27%+

Muscular = muscles with moderate body fat. 20% to 26%

Muscular and defined = muscles and lower body fat 12% to 19%

The problem is, the words will mean different things to different people - that's the nature of language. Bulky doesn't necessarily imply having much muscle at all (though clearly the pictured shot putter is quite muscular). Similarly, you can be muscular but undefined or be very defined and but not actually that muscular (think Iggy Pop). You can try to pin a technical meaning to a word, as you have done above, but what you're actually talking about is % body fat
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is perfect!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So to sum up:

Bulky = muscular with high body fat, 27%+

Muscular = muscles with moderate body fat. 20% to 26%

Muscular and defined = muscles and lower body fat 12% to 19%

The problem is, the words will mean different things to different people - that's the nature of language. Bulky doesn't necessarily imply having much muscle at all (though clearly the pictured shot putter is quite muscular). Similarly, you can be muscular but undefined or be very defined and but not actually that muscular (think Iggy Pop). You can try to pin a technical meaning to a word, as you have done above, but what you're actually talking about is % body fat

True, but we can try to make things clearer. High body fat w/ now muscles would be "chubby" not "bulky". Low body fat with small muscles would just be "skinny" not "muscular and defined".
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

bobrien.jpg

This would be BULKY
    I don't recall giving you permission to post my picture on here. :)
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    since we cant call anyone out on here I am wating for " Bdh78 " not his real name but close, to cite how this is wrong because he read it was....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    since we cant call anyone out on here I am wating for " Bdh78 " not his real name but close, to cite how this is wrong because he read it was....
    Who Dat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Jenna Renee is my newest fitness motivator. She lifts heavy weights and is muscular!!!

jennajamie.jpg

Jenna is def in fantastic shape, and apparently knows my future 2nd wife (Jamie :love: )
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Who Dat?

IDEA Fitness member

Subtract one from each...it's silly
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS38VzDuLHxZi8wVsI7Z0WXhytI6xH1RFuIK-a84eMiITDRckAh

I just wanted to add that just because you have low body fat % does not mean you will look more defined or muscular as you can clearly see here. animated-smileys-puking-06.gif
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who realized that, more often than not, most women who say they don't want to get "bulky" mean that they don't want to look what they view as overly muscular.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who realized that, more often than not, most women who say they don't want to get "bulky" mean that they don't want to look what they view as overly muscular.

Also, when a lot of women say "I'm getting bulky" they don't realize it's due to their body fat percentage and that if they'd be patient and lose a little more body fat, they'd probably be really happy with those once "bulky" muscles.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I just wanted to add that just because you have low body fat % does not mean you will look more defined or muscular as you can clearly see here. animated-smileys-puking-06.gif
    I really do not like skinny bashing but this picture just makes me sad
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I really do not like skinny bashing but this picture just makes me sad
    Me, too. I feel like I should use her legs as dental floss.
    Then again, I swear the "bulky" picture must be my long lost twin, so I'm odd.
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Also, when a lot of women say "I'm getting bulky" they don't realize it's due to their body fat percentage and that if they'd be patient and lose a little more body fat, they'd probably be really happy with those once "bulky" muscles.

So true.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If I were an olympic athlete, I don't think I'd care much about being bulky either.

Cause I'm at the Olympics, biatches.

ROFL!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    When men "bulk up" they are adding muscle and fat on a calorie surplus. When women think they "bulk up" from lifting weights, they are usually on calorie deficit.
    This is why I think it's important to define the right terminology when using the word "bulky" or even "toned/toning". People latch onto the wrong ideas of what they really mean.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Jenna Renee is my newest fitness motivator. She lifts heavy weights and is muscular!!!

jenna.jpg

jenna_renee_5.jpg

jennajamie.jpg

I'm not digging the fake breasts (I don't have an issue with breast implants, I just don't love the way her's look), but other than that I think she has a great, yet attainable, body.

Yah, I'd kick her out of my hot tub too! :tongue:
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options

jenna.jpg

jenna_renee_5.jpg

jennajamie.jpg

And on that note...I can go to bed happy. LOL