"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I'm Bulky. I have a good amount of muscle and a good amount of Lean Body Mass but my Body Fat % is still too high. Getting from muscular but bulky to just muscular is not proving to be easy.
    the main reason why i got bulky was because i ate the same amount (which was over my maintenance level to be honest) while i continued to lose weight.

my plan has been to reduce calories, do cardio 30-45 minutes 5 days a week and continue to lift heavy. at the moment i'm not trying to build new muscle but to trim felt.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    the main reason why i got bulky was because i ate the same amount (which was over my maintenance level to be honest) while i continued to lose weight.

my plan has been to reduce calories, do cardio 30-45 minutes 5 days a week and continue to lift heavy. at the moment i'm not trying to build new muscle but to trim felt.

How did you lose weight in a calorie surplus?
  • renny_xoxo
    Options
    Question: so can you not gain muscle on a calorie deficit?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Question: so can you not gain muscle on a calorie deficit?
    Unless you're a/an:

Obese/very overweight person starting a weight lifting program
    Athlete returning to lifting after a long layoff
    A "newbie" who has never lifted before

then it's practically impossible. Building muscle means you're adding weight. To add weight you need surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bellajezzie
    Options
    BUMP:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Need to bump because of the misunderstanding of "muscular" and "bulky" again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    That redhead in the first picture. Mmmmph.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Jessica biel is totally checking out her obliques
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    <----My arms are too bulky:laugh:

But some day they will be muscular.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Jenna Renee is my newest fitness motivator. She lifts heavy weights and is muscular!!!

jenna.jpg

jenna_renee_5.jpg

jennajamie.jpg

I <3 Jenna too and she reply's to comments on her Facebook pages too, very sweet lady!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    BielWorkingOutJun2006368.jpg

Hello new inspiration picture and consequent girlcrush.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS38VzDuLHxZi8wVsI7Z0WXhytI6xH1RFuIK-a84eMiITDRckAh

I just wanted to add that just because you have low body fat % does not mean you will look more defined or muscular as you can clearly see here. animated-smileys-puking-06.gif

That is scary.

OMG!!!!! YUCK love the barfing of the rubber chicken smiley tho LOL
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think its a bit inappropriate to post pics of other people and critique their physique the way you did. They aren't in a body building comptetion, and you aren't their judge. You have no idea how much lean body mass either of those people have. The person you labelled as "bulky" could easily have significantly more muscle than the person you labelled as "muscular." So... basically you just posted a picture of someone you presumably don't know and called them fat.

WAY TO GO!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    So to sum up:

Bulky = muscular with high body fat, 27%+

Muscular = muscles with moderate body fat. 20% to 26%

Muscular and defined = muscles and lower body fat 12% to 19%

I really like this as a guide. I also like the photos. (Granted this is more on the ladies' side of the equation) Photos sort of give me a visual guide for what I am looking to achieve! Of course there is one more thing to add in here...

FAT = Not muscular with a high body fat -- generally in the overweight to obese range....

(Not meaning to be demeaning by the use of that term... I am FAT myself... but working on it...)
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    I think its a bit inappropriate to post pics of other people and critique their physique the way you did. They aren't in a body building comptetion, and you aren't their judge. You have no idea how much lean body mass either of those people have. The person you labelled as "bulky" could easily have significantly more muscle than the person you labelled as "muscular." So... basically you just posted a picture of someone you presumably don't know and called them fat.

WAY TO GO!

I agree, and basically called everyone fat that does not look "muscular"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

WAY TO GO!

He didn't call anyone fat. He said she was muscular, but had a higher BF% than the others. That's what bulky means. No matter how much muscle she has, which looks to be quite a bit, there's absolutely no denying that her body fat percentage is not low. If that's how she's happy, that's wonderful. She's an athlete, so presumably very strong and healthy.

But people love to be insulted, so....
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

WAY TO GO!

He didn't call anyone fat. He said she was muscular, but had a higher BF% than the others. That's what bulky means. No matter how much muscle she has, which looks to be quite a bit, there's absolutely no denying that her body fat percentage is not low. If that's how she's happy, that's wonderful. She's an athlete, so presumably very strong and healthy.

^^^^ Yes!!

No one called anyone fat... the deal is we all have our own idea of what we want our bodies to look like... It is just nice to have a reference, especially a visual for women with different levels of body fat and muscle. For me the post helped me to understand that I want my body to be more - Muscular and defined = muscles and lower body fat . That in no way means I think a woman with 25 or 35% body fat is Fat!!!
    And I believe the OP is in the fitness industry which means he probably has a pretty good grasp on the terms and would be able to tell even by looking at a picture someones approximate body composition. I do not believe there was any judgment when the pictures were posted.
  • MrsLVF
    Options

WAY TO GO!

Yup, you are correct, he did not say fat....
    BUT......he did call the 1st woman bulky.... aka "massive, & large for its weight". Which is even more insulting, especially to those who started strength training before they hit there goal weight.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

WAY TO GO!

He posted some athletes and celebrities and fitness models. Way 2 overreact.