"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I think women on PED's screw up women's perception of what an extreme weight lifter ends up looking like moreso than with men.

With men, it's kind of obvious that an average height, lean, elite natural athlete with at or nearly max muscle development kind of looks something between a sprinter and an NFL halfback.

Even elite, natural women powerlifters may not look "bulky" as the OP shows it.
    Well there's a lot of Crossfit females in the US that don't use PED's and many look close to the Olympic shot putter above.

https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/women-crossfit-athletes

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    One woman's perception: I don't think that shot-putter looks particularly bulky. She's got muscular arms/shoulders, sure, but they don't seem remarkably big to me. Maybe I'm just biased, though . . . or not as good as you guys at knowing what women think? ;)

I'd also bet the shot-putter looks different a few hours after competition, besides. In the photo, she only looks a bit more muscular than some of the Div I collegiate woman rowers I know look right after a race . . . but when I see them in their strapless party dresses in the evening, they don't look nearly as muscular. Maybe more like just "toned" at that point? :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    One woman's perception: I don't think that shot-putter looks particularly bulky. She's got muscular arms/shoulders, sure, but they don't seem remarkably big to me. Maybe I'm just biased, though . . . or not as good as you guys at knowing what women think? ;)

I'd also bet the shot-putter looks different a few hours after competition, besides. In the photo, she only looks a bit more muscular than some of the Div I collegiate woman rowers I know look right after a race . . . but when I see them in their strapless party dresses in the evening, they don't look nearly as muscular. Maybe more like just "toned" at that point? :D
    A lot of females I talk to (especially clientele) look as that as "bulky" and not something they want to attain if they lift weights. The misconseption that lifting weights will get them to look bulky, still exists today and I have reassure them that it takes years of training, heavy progressive lifting and dedication to get that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I feel the same as you, I don’t think she looks bulky. But then I’ve never been skinny so I guess my opinion is based on my personal physique.

What I do know is that being physically strong is really important to me and especially as I get older. Lifting the 40kg bottle of gas over a small wall recently because the delivery driver refused to move it owing to weight was useful 🤣 and then I offered to carry the empty bottle back to his van as the 5’3 middle aged woman was obviously stronger than the 6’3 (at a guess) much younger man!