BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes- MAKE THIS

Options
ohsweetcalamity
ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
Ok, you're craving junk food, the greasier the better. Something that's been taking a long nap in a deep fryer, perhaps? Well that's where I was at last night when I found this recipe on HowSweetEats.com, and after a little careful editing came up with this amazing and low-cal dinner:

BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4

Ingredients:
- 2 sweet potatoes, rounder is better than long and skinny since we will be stuffing them!
-1/4 c. red onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 c. shredded roast chicken breast
- 1/8 c. BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet'n'Spicy)
- 1/2 c. Kraft shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut sweet potatoes in half the long way (like potato skins, duh). Take a large baking sheet and rub 2 tbsp. olive oil across it. Rub each potato half across the oil and arrange the potatoes across the sheet face down with at least an inch of space between each potato. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until potatoes are soft but not falling apart. Let potatoes cool for at least 10 minutes.

While potatoes are cooking, make the filling. Add remaining olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat and slowly cook the red onions until they are golden brown and soft. In a large bowl, mix together onions, chicken, BBQ sauce, paprika, and 1/4 c. of cheese. Once potatoes have cooled enough to handle, you will need to scoop out the centers. I used a paring knife to trace a line around the surface of the potato, about 1/4 inch away from the edge. You have to leave a little bit of potato to make the shell or they won't stand up when you stuff them. With a large spoon, gently remove the potato centers, making them into nice little cooked potato shells. Add the cooked sweet potato to your filling. With the back of a spoon, mash the potato into the filling and fold together until all the ingredients are incorporated. Taste the filling before adding salt, since the cheese and sauce could be quite salty. Divide the filling into 4 equal portions and then stuff those 'taters! It will make a big heaping pile on top of the potato, just make sure it's not going to fall out and you're all set. Finally, top the potatoes with the remaining cheese and put them back in a 400F oven for 8-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and gooey.

I topped mine with plain greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream) and chopped green onions. I like my food spicy. Really really blow-your-brains-out spicy, so next time I think I would add some sriracha or hot sauce to the filling. Otherwise, these are a perfect dinner, especially served with something fresh and green, maybe some green bean oven fries? Yummm.

Nutritional info (as calculated by MFP for 1 potato half):
Cals 412, carbs 27g, fat 25g, protein 20g

The original recipe can be found here:
http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/02/bbq-chicken-stuffed-sweet-potato-skins/

Replies