Here's why you're not losing weight! Follow this equation!

Options
15678911»

Replies

• linda768
    linda768 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    :happy:
  • n048
    n048 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump !!!
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    Bump
  • sans5souci
    sans5souci Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been trying to make sense of eating back exercise calories and calorie deficits for a while now and none of it has really made much sense. This equation is the only one that hasn't seemed as confusing.

According to the equation, my calculations are as follows:

My bmr is 1434.
    My TDEE is 1434 * 1.375= 1971
    1971-500= 1471
    1471+ 800 calories burned= 2271

So, then, does this mean that if I want to continue to burn 800 cals/day I need to consume a total of 2271 calories?

And on days that I don't work out, do I only have to consume 1471 calories?
    How many net calories should I aim for?
  • jennbeaudry
    jennbeaudry Posts: 52
    Options
    bump
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • silverpeach37
    Options
    There is a slightly different BMR equation for females. It goes as follows:

655+(4.35 X weight in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 X age)

Estimated Energy Requirement (EER) is another formula that can be used according to level of daily activity.

The physical activity factors to plug into the equation are:

Sedentary ( daily living) - (men and women) 1.0

Low activity( 30-60 min. moderate activity) - 1.11(men), 1.12 (women)

Active( at least 60 min. moderate activity) - 1.25 (men), 1.27 (women)

Highly active ( 60 min. vigorous activity or 120 min. of moderate activity) - 1.48 (men), 1.45 (women)

For men 19 years old and up:

EER= [662-(9.53X age)] + physical activity X [(15.91 X weight lbs. ) + ( 539.6 X height inches)]

For women 19 and up:

EER= [354 - (6.91 X age) ] + physical activity X [ (9.36 X weight in lbs.) + (726 X height inches) ]

When you use these formulas, remember to figure everything in the parenthesis ( ) first, then combine that with other numbers in the brackets [ ] , before multiplying and then adding.

Hope this helps. :happy:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make sense of eating back exercise calories and calorie deficits for a while now and none of it has really made much sense. This equation is the only one that hasn't seemed as confusing.

According to the equation, my calculations are as follows:

My bmr is 1434.
    My TDEE is 1434 * 1.375= 1971
    1971-500= 1471
    1471+ 800 calories burned= 2271

So, then, does this mean that if I want to continue to burn 800 cals/day I need to consume a total of 2271 calories?

And on days that I don't work out, do I only have to consume 1471 calories?
    How many net calories should I aim for?

If you have MFP calculate your calories, then you should eat back your exercise calories as well. Because MFP only calculates your needs for BMR (the amount you need for your body to function if you laid in bed) + NEAT (the amount you burn for normal daily activities, working, going to school, taking care of children, etc). It DOES NOT INCLUDE calories for working out. So when you do exercise, you need to eat more for that activity. MFP takes a set number of calories off per week depending on how much you say you want to lose (500 calories a day for 1 pound, etc).

If you calculate your own TDEE minus a certain %, this includes your exercise calories and so then you do not eat more for that.

You can use an online calculator instead of trying to figure out the formula yourself. Here is one that many people here use:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • silverpeach37
    Options
    cranky! Have some cheesecake.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks... it makes a lot of sence!:smile:
  • sans5souci
    Options
    Thank you so, so much! :happy:
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    Ok, so my BMR is 1323 and if I use sedentary since I have a desk job, that is 1587. So, if I deduct 500 to lose, than I have only 1000 per day? I typically net around 1200 on days that I exercise (which is most days) and I am not losing anything and I have gained 5 pounds in the last year.
  • OnceAgain2013
    OnceAgain2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read through 9 pages of this and am still not sure that I understand or agree with the eat your "BMR" calories. 5'6, 45 y/o female, 229 lbs. When I tried all the links to the different BMR, RMR, TDEE calculators, I got the following: My BMR is 1735 or pretty darn close on each of the websites, my TDEE is 2082. I put in the correct measures/weight etc. and sedentary lifestyle on MFP, and asked for 1.5 pound loss per week, as I thought since I have a mini goal of 60 pounds to lose, that I could safely lose 1.5 pounds per week.

MFP has my calorie consumption at 1340/day, which I've been following. I've also eaten any exercise calories that I've gained during that time.

Tell me again why I shouldn't eat below my BMR of 1735? That's the part I don't understand.

I guess I've missed some important point of your BMR. I "get" that it's what I would need to survive and MAINTAIN this weight I am at right now if I were in a coma. I'm sure if I was in a coma I wouldn't come out still weighing 229. ;-) My BMR will decrease as I lose weight, so there's that adjustment too. Somebody 'splain this to me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    People with a lot of weight to lose can safely eat below BMR for a time, but at some point you will have to adjust your calories up. When your weight loss slows, you won't be able to safely cut further calories much. Your MFP goal plus exercise calories probably puts you pretty close to your BMR.

For people who come here with less weight to lose and who also don't eat their exercise calories, this sets up a bad scenario.
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm it's still not happening for me. My sedentary BMR of 1766, less the 500 = 1266. My calorie intake is between 1200 & 1300 per day and my carb, protein and fat ratios fall roughly in line with the pie chart recommendations. I've been using the app for 4 weeks and not lost so much as an ounce.
    Obviously, I'm going wrong somewhere but don't know where/how?
    Any suggestions
    :grumble:

your diary isn't accessible, so it's hard to make any recommendations.
  • probb10
    probb10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump - Bringing this back up. It has helped me and I want others to have access to it.