Here's why you're not losing weight! Follow this equation!

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hmm, so, my BMR (calculated by MFP) is 1,275... I have a desk job (programming) so that is sedentary... 1,275 x 1.2 = 1,530. Subtract 500 and that gives me 1030 calories a day.

I have the same problem. If you subtract 500 from my TDEE it's 1000 or less (depending on the BMR calculation).
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I adjusted my goals...let's see if it works! Thanks for the info!
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Bumping! Great information!
  • CaoimheAine
    CaoimheAine Posts: 195
    Options
    I enjoyed this post. I have been upping/decreasing my cals over the past few weeks and was estimating 1350-1400 dependant on exercise. This formula puts me at 1332 cals per day without exercise so yay :) thanks
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm confused actually. MFP says my calorie intake goal to go with my sedentary job is 1600. I thought it was already calculating what I should eat to lose weight. If I don't eat all those calories it says I'm not eating enough.

Can someone clarify?

I am a bit confused with this aswell.

MFP did calculate what you need to lose weight. MFP took your BMR and your daily activity level and determined your TDEE (you can find this in your goals page). Then depending on the weight you chose to lose per week, it gave you a daily deficit to come up with the assigned calories. You can eat your exercise calories each day and still maintain this deficit. If you go to your goals section, it tells you what your body uses per day (TDEE), the assigned calorie level and the pounds you should lose per week. This is why you eat your exercise calories on MFP, becuase it built the deficit into the assigned calories.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smudjie
    Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't see a setting for BMR? how do i know what it is?
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Read later
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump to show OH later :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hmm, so, my BMR (calculated by MFP) is 1,275... I have a desk job (programming) so that is sedentary... 1,275 x 1.2 = 1,530. Subtract 500 and that gives me 1030 calories a day.

I have the same problem. If you subtract 500 from my TDEE it's 1000 or less (depending on the BMR calculation).

And you are not far from your goal. So you have to shoot for a half pound or a quarter of a pound per week. Your deficit per day will be 250 or 125 calories instead of 500.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Stop subtracting 500. Its not just about getting rid of 3500 cals a week its a matter of getting rid of the proper amount of calories for you contingent on your age, height, weight, body fat% and goal.
    Sometimes 500 isnt enough and sometimes its wayyyyyy too much.

I believe OP is trying to show that taking a certain % from TDEE is more substantial than just cutting 500, 1000, 3500 etc...
    It's custom.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Frankilou25
    Frankilou25 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jo_permiegirl
    Jo_permiegirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i wasn't eating my calories (much) but I now understand why we have too. I will adjust my calorie intake and see if I can get this weight moving.

thank you for all the info.
  • sissysoso
    sissysoso Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    Great post, thanks so much for the info. I am often worried about not eating enough and put myself into starvation mode where my actually stops losing. This is very helpful!!! I LOVE IT.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on this now. Someone please explain.

So if I'm understanding this right, using my BMR x 1.2 = 1690, then I need a 500 daily deficit to lose 1 lb weekly so my daily Cal goal is now 1190? I always thought that NO ONE should go below 1200 per day???

And if I workout then I can re-add those burned calories so as not to fall even further below 1190? right? help.

Why is there not a "confused" smiley in the Add Smiley options?
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm confused actually. MFP says my calorie intake goal to go with my sedentary job is 1600. I thought it was already calculating what I should eat to lose weight. If I don't eat all those calories it says I'm not eating enough.

Can someone clarify?

Well, MFP calculates what you should consume to stay at the weight you are, based on the activity level you entered ("sedentary"). Then, depending on the weight loss goal you entered in your settings, it subtracts from that. If you are trying to lose 1lb a week, it will subtract 500 calories from your daily "allowance." As you lose weight, you'll see that allowance shrink.

I read somewhere that the equations in the OP are generally accurate for most people, but they aren't accurate for the very obese or the ultra fit. I'm not sure what the work-around for that is, but I do know it tells my obese relative something ridiculous that they would not lose weight on.

Anyway, if you feel like you can't stick to 1600 a day, it may be part of a normal lifestyle change. There's more to feeling satisfied than simply taking in adequate calories. The volume and mouth feel of food play a role, as does the rate at which you burn through the calories. I exercise a lot so that I can have more food, because eating tiny amounts depresses me. I also work to keep my plate looking full and my belly feeling full by going for lean proteins and fibre. A grilled skinless chicken breast with a huge pile of steamed/boiled veggies will fill the belly and not give you a sugar high/crash roller coaster.

As I go without sweets and cakes, I find that I crave them a little less. And, when I indulge on cheat days, I notice how they actually make me feel (cranky and jittery when I crash.) This is just about learning new food habits. Everybody goes through it.

You may have to log and analyse what you're eating for while, making adjustments, as you learn what works for you mentally and physically.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump