Sarcastic, middle aged and a grammar grouch.

Options

Replies

• Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Haha, your intentional typo actually made my toe nails curl!! I've been called a Grammar Nazi by several people. Wonder why? Feel free to add me to your imaginary friend list, I'm not afraid!!

Although I find it distressing that you feel middle aged at 38!!!! Or maybe I'm just in denial... lol
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I love sarcasm and can be sarcastic and snarky with the best of 'em. I can also be positive and upbeat and "proper"... what I've noticed is that the snarks seem to be more concerned with being offensive than the positive upbeats do about voicing their dislike of any snark.

I have snarky, witty sarcastic friends and I have the tamer type of flowery, sweet and positive girls (and a couple of guys) as well.

The only friend I ever deleted apart from just not being active and participating regularly was someone who deleted a comment of mine that went something like this: "WTG! Kicking *kitten* as usual..." She was a religious type and I guess that really offended her. Oh well. Most people here take that as how it's meant to be taken.

When snark crosses the line into an outright insult is where a line can be drawn, for me anyway. But after getting to "know" my online friends a little, I can usually start to tell who is handing out the insults on a regular basis, thinly disguised as "wit"... and those won't last long on my friend list. I'm no fool.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Another grammar freak writing here! I haven't wanted to friend anyone til now. I beat you in age, by decades, and grumpiness, probably. :huh:
    And another thing, I hate those darned "smilies".
    How do I friend someone, anyway?
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree I can't stand people using the word loose in place of lose it drives me mad. Add me as a friend.
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can add me but I can't always promise to be grammatically correct as I have become lazy using the iPad and sometimes I don't see the mistakes as it is predictive typing.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    How about I praise you with a Great job! and you can yell at me for it. I even threw in some capitalization errors here just for fun. :happy:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying all these replies - and I'm learning too. Thanks to the wonders of wikipedia I now know about Oxford comma. It was really rather pretentious of me to set myself up as a grammar maven. I went through school at a time when grammar was completely out of fashion and hence was taught none. So in fact my grammar is probably horrific and now I've gone and got myself all these friends who are grammar gurus.

Grammar was the wrong word in my title. What I'm actually grouchy about is incorrect use of words like their/there/they're. The lose/loose and advice/advise combinations drive me crazy too/to/two. But somehow 'homophone grouch' just didn't have the same wring/ring to it. English really is a rather ridiculous language.

As to all those questioning my middle aged status well, calling myself middle aged is one of my favourite ways of winding people up. For some unknown reason the term just has such negative connotations - I love using it! My calculation goes like this. Live until about 90 (women in my family are a pretty long lived bunch). So young until 30, middle aged until 60, old until 90. Perfect.

The middle section is going pretty well so far.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I sory.... seeing as how I'm disliksic and a slight retard I shall turn around and kick sand, go to my lonely place and cry :sad:
  • tracer92
    tracer92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a grammar grouch but I love to be entertained and this thread has certainly done that! Would love to be imaginary friends!
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you.
    A fellow sarcastic *****.

I love my MFP support, I really do. However I actually got a "good job" over a 2lb gain this week.

Please add me. Know I will hound you over bad choices and grin and virtually punch you in the arm over accomplishments. I expect the same from you.

Since I am imaginary ..i look just like Drew Barrymore. Or, Alice from those Twilight movies ;) With 80 lbs to lose.
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am the voice to the millions of children and adults that do the best they can to communicate. I work with people that have lower IQ's, not by choice!!!!!! I am elated that they can put a sentence together! I encourage ALL people to jump on this board and share without feeling they are going to get raked - over- the coals or laughed at because of their grammar. Just my 2 cents worth. Not interrested in any form of a debate.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    How could you not want a friend who describes herself like that?

I've been on this site about a week now and in my cruising around (and perusing the page of the one friend I do have) I've noticed that positivity is all the rage. Someone posts something and then a load of other people chime in with a "Great job". Now I don't in any way want to devalue positive support and if that stuff works for you that's great (and there are a lot of people logging some pretty impressive losses) but it doesn't quite float my boat.

I'm looking for imaginary friends (sorry, this is the internet, to me you're all imaginary) who maybe won't be quite so upbeat. It will also help if you can tolerate the odd vaguely snarky comment on your page - especially if you misuse apostrophes (I know, I should get over that peeve but it's not that hard dammit your/you're... there different words).

In short I'm 37, looking to lose a decent chunk of weight and hoping this site will help me do it. I know my search for friends must come off as a little odd but I figured I can't possibly be the only fat grouch in the world.

So if you
    a) spotted my intentional misspelling above and immediately wanted to point it out to me
    b) managed to read all this without assuming if you met me you'd want to punch me in the face
    c) want more friends
    then add me. Go on, be brave.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!:heart::flowerforyou: :love:
  • Collymarps
    Collymarps Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Marvellous, add me. I am a chronically pessimistic, lazy moaning minny who will never succeed at weight loss without serious tough love.
    And I hate puppies. And rainbows.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    this thread is hilarious!

I hate some of the spelling and grammar mistakes in the forums here, they make me grind my teeth in anger.

you/your/you're and there/they're/their are more common in real life, but in this imaginary world I really want to punch people who want to 'loose weight', especially when they 'weight-in'. READ WHAT YOU'RE WRITING, PLEASE!!!

Just seen another one: "I need some recipe's"... What do you need from recipe? Or do you mean 'recipes'? Gah!

I am in no way middle-aged either...
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I am enjoying all these replies - and I'm learning too. Thanks to the wonders of wikipedia I now know about Oxford comma. It was really rather pretentious of me to set myself up as a grammar maven. I went through school at a time when grammar was completely out of fashion and hence was taught none. So in fact my grammar is probably horrific and now I've gone and got myself all these friends who are grammar gurus.

Grammar was the wrong word in my title. What I'm actually grouchy about is incorrect use of words like their/there/they're. The lose/loose and advice/advise combinations drive me crazy too/to/two. But somehow 'homophone grouch' just didn't have the same wring/ring to it. English really is a rather ridiculous language.

As to all those questioning my middle aged status well, calling myself middle aged is one of my favourite ways of winding people up. For some unknown reason the term just has such negative connotations - I love using it! My calculation goes like this. Live until about 90 (women in my family are a pretty long lived bunch). So young until 30, middle aged until 60, old until 90. Perfect.

The middle section is going pretty well so far.

my pet peeve? reversing then and than... like "She earns more then me." or "We went to the store, than we came home."
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes -- actually loosing weight always amuses me, because I would prefer that weight not be loosed around me -- it might stick to me instead.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Advice/advise is another pair that drive me crazy. They don't even sound the same when I say them so I don't get why it isn't clear which one to use.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Do you know, there's a book that's a fabulous read. "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"

My one big pet peeve is the apostrophe. I cringe every time I go around town and fancy a coffee. Most places have loads of different 'coffee's' and 'sandwiche's' and 'tea's' - what the hell? What does this sandwich possess? I'm very tempted to scratch the apostrophes out but have so far managed to control myself. And for the record, even my 8 year old knows that they're wrong.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    capitalization be darned, but i LOVE good grammar.

my two biggest pet peeves on the forums:

LOSE weight; LOOSE clothes.

YOU'RE awesome; YOUR awesomeness is awesome.

plz lrn 2 spel. kthxloveyoubye.
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread ever.

If you ate the guacamole standing up, it has far less calories. You'll learn this and many more useless and untrue things from people here.

Welcome.
    LOVE THIS!!