How Do I Get Help?!

How can I get help?

I have been struggling with depression for as long as I can remember. I have no idea how to get help. I tried going to the Doctor but he sent me to a psychologist that told me they couldn't help me.

Now I'm too scared to go to the Doctor again. Lately I've started to binge & force myself to throw up after. I know I'll never have the discipline for it to turn into bulimia, it's just a way for me to feel sick so I have an excuse not to deal with the world for at least a few minutes.

UGH! What can I do? Everyone keeps telling me to stop throwing pity parties and I am TRYING. But not talking about the problem is not helping.

Replies

• ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    You live in Australia. See another doctor. Go to one who bulk bills and tell them you need help. Start taking St Johns Wort (believe me - for a lot of people it works AS WELL as medication, as long as you have "mild to moderate depression". If it doesn't you can start meds after that.)

You live in one of THE BEST countries in the world for mental health problems. Take advantage of it. You can see a doctor for free as regularly as you need to, and a psychiatrist for next-to-free up to 24 times a year, and get medication for as little as $15 a month.
  • I've seen every other Doctor in town (for other reasons) and they are VERY judgmental. I really doubt they'd help me at all. I am far too scared to see them again.
  • ashleab37
    Do you live in the suburbs of Sydney or in a smaller town?
  • I live in a rural town about 3.5hours north of Sydney.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    It's really important that you tell someone, if not about the depression please please tell someone about the bulimia and get help because the sooner you kick it in the butt the less painful and terrible the process of recovery is.
    Please remember that it's ok to ask for help and be honest with people around you, like your parents. Even if they think you're throwing pitty parties. It's ok to say "I need help" and in some cases it's nessesary and in my humble opinion anything involving eating disorders, (especially if it is just emerging) is a case where it's nessesary.
  • ashleab37
    I do feel for you living in a country town but that just means YOU need to make this happen. If you need to, drive to Sydney once a fortnight to see a doctor/psych. The outer suburbs would only be a 2hr drive. Or you can go to Newcastle, I assume that'd only be a little over an hour.

Try the St Johns Wort. I have been on very high doses of multiple medications and nothing worked as well as it does. You can get a pack of 60 at chemist warehouse for $6.
  • I've asked my family, doctors & various counselors for help. That I need help. They always tell me I'm overreacting, I'm faking it, I should just get over it or that they can't help.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    go back, dont be scared, theres nothing to be scared of the worst thing they can do is nothing, and if they do that just keep going and find other doctors...you dont have to have willpower to be bulimic, it will just become more of a problem over time..
    just try to be very strong and dont leave that drs intell they say they will help you..
    i hope that you start feeling better.
  • ashleab37
    I've asked my family, doctors & various counselors for help. That I need help. They always tell me I'm overreacting, I'm faking it, I should just get over it or that they can't help.
    I'll be honest with you Dexy.. I'm not sure I believe you. Doctors and counsellors don't do that. There may be a few "bad eggs" but not every one you've seen. Not in our country. The worst thing is, if you are "faking it" that means you have REALLY serious problems that need to be looked into, and counsellors know that. People who "fake" having emotional/psychological problems really have them more severe than anyone.
  • See? Everyone I talk to doesn't believe me. That I'm just doing it for attention. Whereas I am ALWAYS holding back many, many other things that are wrong in my life. Even in front of shrinks I try to put on a brave face while still balling my eyes out. I have a LOT of problems, & considering my situation it shouldn't be surprising. But somehow... no one seems to be able/want to help! I am going crazy trying to fix myself.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Ignore your family - you are the only one that will know what this is like for you, no one else can tell you how you feel, or how you should feel for that matter. Has something changed in your life for this to start/get worse? Is there anything specific you can think of that you'd like to try to change to see if it will trigger a change in how you feel? Part of it might even be how you've been treated when asked for help. You have to keep trying. If you've taken the brave step to ask for help then you should be given help, don't feel ashamed. I would say go back to the doctor that passed you on and stand your ground. Say that the person you did get to see did not offer to help you and ask them to help you solve this.
  • I've asked my family, doctors & various counselors for help. That I need help. They always tell me I'm overreacting, I'm faking it, I should just get over it or that they can't help.
    I'll be honest with you Dexy.. I'm not sure I believe you. Doctors and counsellors don't do that. There may be a few "bad eggs" but not every one you've seen. Not in our country. The worst thing is, if you are "faking it" that means you have REALLY serious problems that need to be looked into, and counsellors know that. People who "fake" having emotional/psychological problems really have them more severe than anyone.
    Everyone that I know who has had depression has been treated successfully by their own doctor. I can't see why everyone would refuse you help!
  • ashleab37
    See? Everyone I talk to doesn't believe me. That I'm just doing it for attention. Whereas I am ALWAYS holding back many, many other things that are wrong in my life. Even in front of shrinks I try to put on a brave face while still balling my eyes out. I have a LOT of problems, & considering my situation it shouldn't be surprising. But somehow... no one seems to be able/want to help! I am going crazy trying to fix myself.
    I don't think you understood. I meant I don't 100% believe you that doctors aren't helping you. Be honest with doctors and they will help.
  • ashleab37
    Besides, there are FIVE new doctors starting this month in Muswellbrook at the new medical centre. It's a huge medical centre owned by Tristar Medical Group so they have very strict regulations they follow when hiring doctors. These doctors will help you, I guaran-damn-tee you.
  • Lately I've started to binge & force myself to throw up after. I know I'll never have the discipline for it to turn into bulimia, it's just a way for me to feel sick so I have an excuse not to deal with the world for at least a few minutes.

It's this statement that makes me concerned. I think telling yourself you don't have the 'discipline' for an ED is the very nature of it, I don't think anybody dealing with a disorder actually feels like they're succeeding at it, and they just end up constantly beating themselves up about failing.

Unfortunately eating disorders and depression provoke each other, I think you should really keep trying, keep looking for doctors. Could you afford to go private? Even just for one session to get a different opinion about what you should do? I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Please NEVER feel like you don't have a right to get help for your issues, I find it really sad that eating disordered behaviors aren't taken seriously enough until they've developed into the extreme. It's so incredibly hard to ever even imagine what normal life actually is during, and even after a recovery. You deserve the chance to avoid all that. Your depression is manifesting itself into serious negative habits, it's not something to be taken lightly and don't feel guilty about it because it's not your fault, but please try and find a support system around you. Is there anybody you know personally that you even just talk to?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Psychologist I believe cannot prescribe medicine they mostly have group sessions. You need to see a psychiatrist . A psychiatrist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders and can prescribe you depression meds. LIthium and welbutrin work really well with out having to go into the world of ssri's. That is if your diagnosed with depression or bi polar and even then you have to find out what works for you and that takes time also but they can work. Its just they dull your senses and keep you very zoned in a way that you dont get to high excited or to low so that kinda sucks being robotic but hey if it works dont fix it.
  • ashleab37
    A GP can prescribe you medication for depression. Seeing a GP for meds and a psychologist for counselling works, or a psychiatrist for both works too (but is a lot more expensive)
  • Shock_Wave
    A GP can prescribe you medication for depression. Seeing a GP for meds and a psychologist for counselling works, or a psychiatrist for both works too (but is a lot more expensive)

Cheap as hell with good insurance its just trying to find one that can take you in new is hard as heck. It seems they are all full or a wait period of 6 months.. Kinda sucks..
  • ashleab37
    Effexor and Cymbalta are great first ones to try. They are both SNRIs and don't have the same negative impacts you hear about from SSRIs. They're both very cheap, they do NOT just "dull" your moods by any means, they change the way your brain uses 3different hormones. These are most commonly prescribed for PND which is likely part of your issue.

Lithium is awful and your body can begin to rely on it very quickly, and it affects your liver in horrendous ways. It is only prescribed for bipolar in Australia.

Wellbutrin is usually only prescribed for quitting smoking and mild anxiety, mostly.
  • Shock_Wave
    Effexor and Cymbalta are great first ones to try. They are both SNRIs and don't have the same negative impacts you hear about from SSRIs. They're both very cheap, they do NOT just "dull" your moods by any means, they change the way your brain uses 3different hormones. These are most commonly prescribed for PND which is likely part of your issue.

Lithium is awful and your body can begin to rely on it very quickly, and it affects your liver in horrendous ways. It is only prescribed for bipolar in Australia.

Wellbutrin is usually only prescribed for quitting smoking and mild anxiety, mostly.

Effexor sucks major butt and it kills your sex drive or libdo and turns you into a zombie and if you take to much you will hear voices that speak to you and hallucinationas and speaking of expensive those are very very costly not to mention they make your EXTREMELY TIRED AS HELL all the time.
    There are safe doses of Lithium and they take your blood work to make sure every thing is with in normal range. It has been used for decades and the only thing is you have to drink alot of water because its a salt so it can effect your kidneys.
    Welbutrin work synergestic with Lithium and keep your moods stablized. Just have to keep it under 300mgs or you can run the risk of seizers.