Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How Do I Get Help?!

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Do you have at least one trusted friend or someone you could ask to help you with the phone calls? Or just be in the room with you while you make them?

This exactly. Take some type of action now before it gets out of control because if you wait to long and do some thing drastic you can end up in a psych ward.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Well... use email for now if you must. But at some point you'll hopefully talk with someone face-to-face. I'm just wondering how you're going to get from point A to point B if you're too scared to pick up a phone. Do you plan on meeting online through Skype or something??

At some point, you'll have to make the choice to go forward with this. It won't be comfortable, but it's going to better than staying in the position you're in at the moment.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    I just said that I was very very afraid of calling people. I have also been to all the counsellors ect in my area. I will google places in Sydney that will let me organize things via email.

Beyond Blue have a very good website, spend hours on it and you will see. Why are you scared of calling an anonymous hotline whilst completely ok about posting online???? The doctors aren't allowed to do what you claim, it's called negligence, so I find it very hard to believe you. Get some help, you need it.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Effexor and Cymbalta are great first ones to try. They are both SNRIs and don't have the same negative impacts you hear about from SSRIs. They're both very cheap, they do NOT just "dull" your moods by any means, they change the way your brain uses 3different hormones. These are most commonly prescribed for PND which is likely part of your issue.

Lithium is awful and your body can begin to rely on it very quickly, and it affects your liver in horrendous ways. It is only prescribed for bipolar in Australia.

Wellbutrin is usually only prescribed for quitting smoking and mild anxiety, mostly.

Effexor sucks major butt and it kills your sex drive or libdo and turns you into a zombie and if you take to much you will hear voices that speak to you and hallucinationas and speaking of expensive those are very very costly not to mention they make your EXTREMELY TIRED AS HELL all the time.
    There are safe doses of Lithium and they take your blood work to make sure every thing is with in normal range. It has been used for decades and the only thing is you have to drink alot of water because its a salt so it can effect your kidneys.
    Welbutrin work synergestic with Lithium and keep your moods stablized. Just have to keep it under 300mgs or you can run the risk of seizers.

You talk about cost alot are you in the US? We have a public health service here, you dont need to be private to have good mental health care here in Oz.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    ETA: Ah, I see your age now. Don't take it the wrong way, but usually this is something you will grow out of.... ... it took me probably 10 years to "grow up" and grow out of a lot of my emotional issues. 18/19/20 is the tough age when "life" hits you hard...
    Um, I'm not quite 50 and I have yet to "grow up and grow out" of my emotional issues. (I've had to fight my way, tooth and bloody claw, out of those few that I've been able to overcome.)

Also, at what age does "life" stop hitting you hard? I'm really looking forward to whenever that happens...

(I'm sorry to be snarky. But you don't know what or how bad the OP's problems are. And I'd be willing to bet that your troubles, they ain't like mine...)
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    I just said that I was very very afraid of calling people. I have also been to all the counsellors ect in my area. I will google places in Sydney that will let me organize things via email.
    Unfortunately, you being afraid to call people is much less important then your mental state right now. Sort it out.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    You talk about cost alot are you in the US? We have a public health service here, you dont need to be private to have good mental health care here in Oz.

That nice to know. I guess where you live is a nice cheap place to get sick at. Public health care must be pretty darn good over there then.
  • JennieAL
    ETA: Ah, I see your age now. Don't take it the wrong way, but usually this is something you will grow out of.... ... it took me probably 10 years to "grow up" and grow out of a lot of my emotional issues. 18/19/20 is the tough age when "life" hits you hard...
    Um, I'm not quite 50 and I have yet to "grow up and grow out" of my emotional issues. (I've had to fight my way, tooth and bloody claw, out of those few that I've been able to overcome.)

Also, at what age does "life" stop hitting you hard? I'm really looking forward to whenever that happens...

(I'm sorry to be snarky. But you don't know what or how bad the OP's problems are. And I'd be willing to bet that your troubles, they ain't like mine...)

I'm sorry you're having a tough time, yourself. However, the OP is young and a lot of people simply do grow out of these problems. Some don't.

I'd never compare my "troubles" with someone else... yes, life does continue to hit hard... but you tend to realize it's just "life" at some point, and not that the whole world is coming down on you. Your perspective shifts slightly, that's what I was getting at.

And I fully support the OP in getting professional help, especially considering the fact she WANTS it.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Unfortunately, you being afraid to call people is much less important then your mental state right now. Sort it out.

Please don't say things like 'sort it out'. It really isn't helpful. Chances are extremely high that if she is coping with depression then anxiety is playing a huge role. 'Sort it out' is sometimes not an option, and is not a helpful thing to hear. Thank you.
  • Honestly I have no real idea where my fear of speaking on the phone stems from. But I do know that the reason I feel comfortable talking in forums/emails is because I can choose my words. I tend to speak my mind face-to-face rather than thinking it through first.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    I've asked my family, doctors & various counselors for help. That I need help. They always tell me I'm overreacting, I'm faking it, I should just get over it or that they can't help.
    I'll be honest with you Dexy.. I'm not sure I believe you. Doctors and counsellors don't do that. There may be a few "bad eggs" but not every one you've seen. Not in our country. The worst thing is, if you are "faking it" that means you have REALLY serious problems that need to be looked into, and counsellors know that. People who "fake" having emotional/psychological problems really have them more severe than anyone.
    Everyone that I know who has had depression has been treated successfully by their own doctor. I can't see why everyone would refuse you help!

Yeah, mine was the exact same. Here are some tablets and a sheet to see a psychiatrist now move along.
  • JennieAL
    Honestly I have no real idea where my fear of speaking on the phone stems from. But I do know that the reason I feel comfortable talking in forums/emails is because I can choose my words. I tend to speak my mind face-to-face rather than thinking it through first.

Yes, very understandable. I hate talking on the phone too, btw. Ha... some things never change.

Well... please just know that things will probably stay the same for you until you give yourself the kick to put yourself out there. And basically, this is just the way it is with most things in life.... from cleaning the house to getting professional help.

Once, a favorite professor of mine gave me sage advice I wish I'd latched onto sooner: FART and get it over with.

Be willing to look silly, ridiculous, sad, hopeless... whatever it is you feel about yourself, be willing to show just a little bit of it in order to get what you need. You are worth it. Learn to do it now and you'll never regret it.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    I'll be honest with you Dexy.. I'm not sure I believe you. Doctors and counsellors don't do that.

In rural and regional towns they can and do. I once went in to get bloodwork done to try to find out why I was getting sick all the time (post 2 operations) and the doctor tried to convince me that I was depressed. He asked me how I would feel if there were a 'magic wand' that could fix everything. I had to very assertively tell him that I did not believe that the evidence suggested depression, and that he had not gathered enough information from me to even assess whether it might be depression. He did not attempt to assess me with the standard test, either. His behaviour was extremely unprofessional... and he was wrong.

I think finding a way to see a doctor in the next town is the best bet.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    How can I get help?

I have been struggling with depression for as long as I can remember. I have no idea how to get help. I tried going to the Doctor but he sent me to a psychologist that told me they couldn't help me.

Now I'm too scared to go to the Doctor again. Lately I've started to binge & force myself to throw up after. I know I'll never have the discipline for it to turn into bulimia, it's just a way for me to feel sick so I have an excuse not to deal with the world for at least a few minutes.

UGH! What can I do? Everyone keeps telling me to stop throwing pity parties and I am TRYING. But not talking about the problem is not helping.

Emotional issues/depression can sometimes have a physical illness behind them so get that ruled out first. You have made appointments to see professionals in the past so I am assuming that you can do so again.

Depression is an illness that can be eased with professional intervention. If you broke your leg you would see a doctor, whatever is going on with you is obviously effecting your quality of life and will in the future effect the quality of life of your children. Your right, not talking about the problem isn't helping. If your family and friends are not informed enough to understand that depression isnt a matter of toughing up then you need to find support elsewhere.

If you have found no decent support from the professionals you have contacted so far then keep looking as there are so many compassionate health professionals out there who chose their career because they are passionate about helping people in need.

Sometimes its a matter of getting the social support you need as a young mum with two littlies, that support is out there too.

There is a way out of depression. While it did have a hold on your past it doesn't have to define your future. You only ever have to be brave enough for the moment you are in, so pick a service like beyond blue or some of the others mentioned and find a sympathetic voice.

Most of all stop hiding the extent of the problem, most professionals have heard it all and aren't judgemental. They need to know what is really going on or they may not realise the serious nature of your distress. (Sounds like this has already happened. No Dr is a mind reader). Guess what if you go to the doctor and say nothing is wrong he will believe you. Thats not truelly seeking help.

On the other side of reaching out to find the help you need, is a more peaceful and happy future, for yourself and your family.

Good luck and kind regards,

JR
  • D446

Please don't say things like 'sort it out'. It really isn't helpful. Chances are extremely high that if she is coping with depression then anxiety is playing a huge role. 'Sort it out' is sometimes not an option, and is not a helpful thing to hear. Thank you.

I understand anxiety, and I understand depression. What I don't understand is how she expects to get help when she is not really trying anything. By 'sort it out' I mean, do something, she has to, for her mental health. Tough love.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member

I understand anxiety, and I understand depression. What I don't understand is how she expects to get help when she is not really trying anything. By 'sort it out' I mean, do something, she has to, for her mental health. Tough love.

She says she has been to doctors and a psychiatrist - how is she NOT trying anything?! When you have depression or anxiety that can be one of the hardest things in the world, and I know that where I live in australia the health system is basically the same.
  • D446

She says she has been to doctors and a psychiatrist - how is she NOT trying anything?! When you have depression or anxiety that can be one of the hardest things in the world, and I know that where I live in australia the health system is basically the same.

I am also from Australia. Of course it's hard to go, but she has to. I dOn't know what other advise she can take? She needs professional help. And I doubt that MULTIPLE doctors and physiologists have told her she is exaggerating or lying. She may be taking what they are saying the wrong way.
  • kirstand
    kirstand Posts: 76
    do you have the salvation army over there? i know they were very helpful for me (counselling) when i was in a very bad place in life a long while back??
    also go to another doctor/nurse or revisit one, this time with a trusted friend (for moral support) so you come away with the help/medication you need...
    sometimes people find it hard to believe that someone they see as happy and confident on the outside has real underlying issues...especially once you open up about it...which is a brave thing to do.
    in the mean time, if you could find something you really enjoy to do so you dont fall deep into depression/bingeing etc...
    please note these are only ideas...im no expert.
    good luck
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Dexy, I would be happy to make the call for you if you would like that.
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    you have 2 children if one of them was feeling the way you are would you not do everything you can to help them, so as there caregiver you need to do the same for yourself, take a deep breathe and ring someone it is a one step at a time so take baby steps, you have been faced with some negativity from some health professionals so find another some community advice bureaus have counsellors that at least could listen to you and yes the salvos can offer the same support maybe just talking to some one to start with will give you the confidence to make the next step. but please make the first steps