Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How Do I Get Help?!

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Go see a different DR. If you don't like the idea of medication TELL him/her that. Stand your ground. In the meantime..... Please go grab some Swisse MOOD tablets. You can buy them from Coles, Woolworths, chemist. They saved my life when I hit rock bottom. They are very very very good & may just help you a bit. They have St Johns Wort in them so if you ARE taking anti-depressants do not take the mood ones. If you are not taking them then please at lest try them & don't forget to tell your DR if you are taking them.

I suffer from depression, it runs in the women's side of my family & I will swear by them to help. I would be dead if it was not for them, they worked within a day for me & I can now say I love life :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Effexor and Cymbalta are great first ones to try. They are both SNRIs and don't have the same negative impacts you hear about from SSRIs. They're both very cheap, they do NOT just "dull" your moods by any means, they change the way your brain uses 3different hormones. These are most commonly prescribed for PND which is likely part of your issue.

Lithium is awful and your body can begin to rely on it very quickly, and it affects your liver in horrendous ways. It is only prescribed for bipolar in Australia.

Wellbutrin is usually only prescribed for quitting smoking and mild anxiety, mostly.

Effexor sucks major butt and it kills your sex drive or libdo and turns you into a zombie and if you take to much you will hear voices that speak to you and hallucinationas and speaking of expensive those are very costly.
    There are safe doses of Lithium and they take your blood work to make sure every thing is with in normal range. It has been used for decades and the only thing is you have to drink alot of water because its a salt so it can effect your kidneys.
    Welbutrin work synergestic with Lithium and keep your moods stablized. Just have to keep it under 300mgs or you can run the risk of seizers.

Effexor made me sleep anywhere anytime. It was horrid. I went off it cold turkey, I hated that worse. It made me have electric shock kind of episodes for weeks. It's the worst I've ever felt.

I'd rather the Mood tablets from Swisse anyday..... natural & safe :)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Effexor sucks major butt and it kills your sex drive or libdo and turns you into a zombie and if you take to much you will hear voices that speak to you and hallucinationas and speaking of expensive those are very costly.
    The start of this alone proves I need not read on. This is simply not true. It can happen to some people, but it is NOT a standard symptom. The way *good* doctors start you on medication is to start with the ones that have the least negative side effects and work their way from there until you find something that works.

Which works will depend on the type and cause of your depression. Unfortunately this CANNOT be tested, which is why doctors rely on the method above. Sadly, the "bad" doctors will start you on lithium or zoloft because they get bigger "kick-backs" from the companies who produce these medications.

SSRIs and lithium are last resorts - Always.

A REALLY good doctor will recommend St Johns Wort or other natural mood tablets before the above for anyone suffering from mild/moderate depression. I have *severe* depression and it still works best for me.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Effexor and Cymbalta are great first ones to try. They are both SNRIs and don't have the same negative impacts you hear about from SSRIs. They're both very cheap, they do NOT just "dull" your moods by any means, they change the way your brain uses 3different hormones. These are most commonly prescribed for PND which is likely part of your issue.

Lithium is awful and your body can begin to rely on it very quickly, and it affects your liver in horrendous ways. It is only prescribed for bipolar in Australia.

Wellbutrin is usually only prescribed for quitting smoking and mild anxiety, mostly.

There are safe doses of Lithium and they take your blood work to make sure every thing is with in normal range. It has been used for decades and the only thing is you have to drink alot of water because its a salt so it can effect your kidneys.
    Welbutrin work synergestic with Lithium and keep your moods stablized. Just have to keep it under 300mgs or you can run the risk of seizers.

Effexor made me sleep anywhere anytime. It was horrid. I went off it cold turkey, I hated that worse. It made me have electric shock kind of episodes for weeks. It's the worst I've ever felt.

x2 ^
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Try the website http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx? or http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/gettinghelp/consultingaprofessional/psychologistscounsellors.cfm BeyondBlue and The Black Dog Insttute both have information to help people. You could also try calling LifeLine on 13 11 14 if things get too hard.

I don't think doctors can help with depression. It is something the individual has to beat themselves. But having support of family and friends is mega important. Exercise helps alleviate depression as well in some cases. In the end you have to figure out why your life is unsatisfactory, what you can do to cheer yourself up and get yourself out of the mind frame. It's like a weight loss journey. Set little goals and celebrate the achievements you make. :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Too scared to go to another doctor?? And what reason did the psych give you for not being able to help you? It's odd one would say that... unless you were being extremely belligerent or obstinate, you know? Curious to know what reason they gave you...

And if you're serious about getting help, nothing should stand in your way. Get a doctor you are comfortable with to some extent... don't give up because of a few doctors, keep looking until you find one. Don't give up on yourself. That's the worse thing in life you could do.

ETA: Ah, I see your age now. Don't take it the wrong way, but usually this is something you will grow out of. Unless you're suicidal, and in that case.. go straight to someone for help asap. You don't seem it though... it took me probably 10 years to "grow up" and grow out of a lot of my emotional issues. 18/19/20 is the tough age when "life" hits you hard... hang in there! Keep working on it.. and never ever give up on yourself. That's the most important thing... no matter what.
  • Even if you feel you are hitting walls everywhere, your mental health is too important to just give up on-especially if you have children (as your profile indicates). The issues won't just go away one day on their own and it's not going to go away with one magic doctor visit. Sometimes dialing in medication is just trial and error, it takes patience and working with the doctors to help you help yourself.
    Ashlea and Shock_Wave seem to have provided you with some pretty good info to start with. Best of luck to you and I hope you get the help that you need :flowerforyou:
  • ashleab37
    ETA: Ah, I see your age now. Don't take it the wrong way, but usually this is something you will grow out of. Unless you're suicidal, and in that case.. go straight to someone for help asap. You don't seem it though... it took me probably 10 years to "grow up" and grow out of a lot of my emotional issues. 18/19/20 is the tough age when "life" hits you hard... hang in there! Keep working on it.. and never ever give up on yourself. That's the most important thing... no matter what.
    She also has two children. PND is very likely too sadly.
  • Shock_Wave
    The start of this alone proves I need not read on. This is simply not true. It can happen to some people, but it is NOT a standard symptom. The way *good* doctors start you on medication is to start with the ones that have the least negative side effects and work their way from there until you find something that works.

Which works will depend on the type and cause of your depression. Unfortunately this CANNOT be tested, which is why doctors rely on the method above. Sadly, the "bad" doctors will start you on lithium or zoloft because they get bigger "kick-backs" from the companies who produce these medications.

A REALLY good doctor will recommend St Johns Wort or other natural mood tablets before the above for anyone suffering from mild/moderate depression. I have *severe* depression and it still works best for me.

Pure rubbish and your not a dr so how can you pretend to think like one?
  • ashleab37

*YOU'RE* not capable of composing a coherent sentence so how can you pretend to know anything? :)
  • Shock_Wave

*YOU'RE* not capable of composing a coherent sentence so how can you pretend to know anything? :)

I do not pretend any thing I say because unfortunately I have been there and done that at one point in my life and every thing you speak of is simply just not true. Believe what you will but you speak very ignorantly when it comes to these things and how Dr.s treat patients.
  • ashleab37

I have been there and done that at one point in my life and every thing you speak of is simply just not true. Believe what you will but you speak very ignorantly when it comes to these things and how Dr.s treat patients.
    Are you from Australia? Do you know ANYTHING about our medical system?

I've been there and done it all too. I have had MDD since I was 9 years old - 15 years. I know how it is treated, how it should be and how it REALLY SHOULDN'T.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    I am ALWAYS holding back many, many other things that are wrong in my life. Even in front of shrinks I try to put on a brave face while still balling my eyes out. I have a LOT of problems, & considering my situation it shouldn't be surprising.
    Um, if you're holding things back, do the people you're talking to really know what your situation is? I wonder if that might be part of the problem.

I've had to do it, and so I know it's tough to tell some stranger, even a nice friendly psychiatrist-stranger, about the really awful painful horrid secret things that are tearing you up inside. But they do really need to know what's behind all the depression and other things you're feeling. It's as if they can't stop the bleeding until they know how you've been wounded.

To put it another way: if, say, you went into a hospital with appendicitis, would you put on a brave face and be too stoic to admit that you felt any pain or nausea? Probably not.

And if you did, the staff might not do anything until you started showing unmistakable physical symptoms. (They might not even *be able* to: treating someone for appedicitis when they denied having the symptoms might be medically unjustifiable.) And by then they'd be lucky to get to your appendix before it burst.

Please do whatever you can to persuade some medical professional to get to this before it "bursts." Grasp that nettle like your life depends on it (because it just might) and tell a professional that you can trust exactly what's going on. Go to Sydney if necessary. Or Melbourne. Or Perth.
    (If at all possible, stick the family member who's been the most dismissive of your alleged "pity parties" with the bills for your travel.)

It will be horrible, I know, and I'm sorry for that. But if you're brave enough to hide that pain, you can be brave enough to tell one trustworthy professional what's behind it.

I really hope this helps you, even a little. Please feel free to PM me if I might be able to help that way.

- Evelyn
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member

I have been there and done that at one point in my life and every thing you speak of is simply just not true. Believe what you will but you speak very ignorantly when it comes to these things and how Dr.s treat patients.
    Are you from Australia? Do you know ANYTHING about our medical system?

I've been there and done it all too. I have had MDD since I was 9 years old - 15 years. I know how it is treated, how it should be and how it REALLY SHOULDN'T.

It's obvious that you are just trying help and I'm sure you have given her a lot of great information. But in regards to your above statement I think that you are generalizing, you know how it should be treated for YOU, not how it should be treated for everyone.. Other people are just trying to give their advice, which is useful too.
  • Shock_Wave
    Well op thats my advice for you to go get diagnosed and go from there and good luck.
  • I have no idea how to get in contact with professionals in Sydney ect. I am deathly afraid of calling people. I cannot even call close family & friends and find it hard to simply answer the phone. I have tried beyond blue ect but I couldn't find any options for online help & my emails have so far been unanswered (only been 2 days though).
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    As someone else posted, call lifeline. Google health professionals in your area. You cannot say you need help but not be willing to help yourself.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Do you have at least one trusted friend or someone you could ask to help you with the phone calls? Or just be in the room with you while you make them?
  • I just said that I was very very afraid of calling people. I have also been to all the counsellors ect in my area. I will google places in Sydney that will let me organize things via email.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    I am from a rural town in Australia, and I have sought medical help for anxiety. The process for treating anxiety is roughly the same as depression.

I was unhappy with how the first doctor I saw spoke to me, so I sought a different doctor.

The first thing that your doctor should do is to ask you to fill out roughly 10 questions and rank how you feel regarding them. Based on your result, your doctor can prescribe you with some form of anti-depressant. Ask them about st. john's wort (DO NOT TAKE IT WITH THE PILL), ask them what the different anti-depressants do, and ask them to explain how it works. Also, ask to see a psychologist. If you have previously seen all the psychologists in your town, explain this and ask to see one in a neighbouring town. If you have already seen all the doctors in your town, organise to see a doctor in a neighbouring town.

I refuse to see the psychologist or dentist in my home town, and certain doctors, but thankfully there are two doctors who are good, and thankfully the next town is a half-hour drive.

My doctor prescribed me with a low dose of zoloft (it can be used both for depression and anxiety). If it makes you feel too sick, you can return to the doctor and change the medication. If you choose not to use a medication on the first appointment, you can continue to see a doctor for assessment anyway.

Not every psychologist will work for you, so if the first one was unhelpful don't be afraid to find a new one. My first psychologist was not really very helpful, but my second one has been an amazing help.

Ask your doctor to put you on a mental health plan. This allows you to get back the majority of what you pay a psychologist. I pay $120, but medicare pays most of that. Only about $30 comes out of my pocket, roughly once every two weeks.

The hardest thing to realise is 'yes, i am depressed, and yes, i need help'...especially if other people are saying telling you to get over it and get on with it. You have realised that you could really use a hand...hopefully some of what has been said here will help you.