Can girls be beautiful if

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
they don't shave their leg and underarm hair?

(I am one of these girls so keep the cries of disgust to a dull roar please). I ask because I'm feeling much happier about my body since I've slimmed down a bit and I'd love to do something goofy/fun/sexy like burlesque but in all honesty, could I show my body on stage if I don't shave (and I probably won't shave, it's the last frontier. We're allowed to be fat now, why can't we leave hair where it grows?!!!!!!)

Replies

• GregS
    GregS Posts: 11
    Options
    yes they can!
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    They can because beauty is whats on the inside

FYI: That isn't to say the latter either.........beauty is on the inside and out...........I say this because if you have outer-beauty and an ugly personality........guess which one shows? But if you have true beauty...........it shines inside and out! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things I am really conflicted about. I WISH I didn't feel the need to remove my underarm and leg hair. I wish I could feel feminine, but I find underarm hair makes me smell, despite washing thoroughly (which is it's purpose, after all!), and I used to only shave the lower half of my legs but after some really cruel comments from passers by (and I have thin blonde hair, so it's not that obvious), I started waxing them. I just don't have the confidence in my appearance to deliberately go against the norm. In a way I can't see the point. If you can do something simple to make yourself more attractive, why not do it? But my feminist head says why one Earth SHOULD we? Men don't.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    they don't shave their leg and underarm hair?

(I am one of these girls so keep the cries of disgust to a dull roar please). I ask because I'm feeling much happier about my body since I've slimmed down a bit and I'd love to do something goofy/fun/sexy like burlesque but in all honesty, could I show my body on stage if I don't shave (and I probably won't shave, it's the last frontier. We're allowed to be fat now, why can't we leave hair where it grows?!!!!!!)

Move to France.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no judging on my part. Curious, though, why don't you?
  • 1a1a
    Options
    I did dabble as a teenager (even my arm hair haha, I didn't realise that has immunity) but stopped cos the regrowth itches, that's my why anyway.

I thoroughly agree with the inner beauty thing, just wonder if it can shine through in the context of a show (not that I really want to perform but if I was to become a student of something like burlesque, there would probably be some sort of performance somewhere along the line, I just like to think the audience wouldn't be sitting there cringing when they realise).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sure... until fairly recently, western culture didn't have nearly the obsession with removing every bit of body hair that we currently do. For example, check out Sophia Loren. She has always been considered a great beauty, in Italy and around the world. Look her up! She sported armpit hair in all her glamorous photos:

sophia_loren_103343o.jpg

And more recently, Julia Roberts

post-9-046146000-1279786672_thumb-500x333.jpg
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I find it very unattractive. Even on men, I like very little body hair. Men should keep things nicely trimmed, and women should be clean-shaven, for my preferences.

I realize it isn't all about me, though. So if you find it preferable to have hair, go for it. It's just not what I find attractive.
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm against the odds on this post...............I actually never thought of the subject before...........but when I saw the picture above, I have to admit, it grossed me out!!!! Now that I see Julia Roberts, it's nasty!!!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm against the odds on this post...............I actually never thought of the subject before...........but when I saw the picture above, I have to admit, it grossed me out!!!! Now that I see Julia Roberts, it's nasty!!!

Same. But whatever floats your boat. Personally, I feel more feminine when my skin is soft and super smooth. I couldn't handle having lengthy hair in my pits/legs.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Hair doesn't bother me but there's no denying that a lot of people will be grossed out by it. Especially on stage. If you're OK with that, go for it.
    I did dabble as a teenager (even my arm hair haha, I didn't realise that has immunity) but stopped cos the regrowth itches, that's my why anyway.
    If your whole reason for not shaving is the itchiness, have you tried Nair?
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    Of course they can!
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Yes! When exactly did society decide that women need to shave their body hair? I'd like to know!
  • 1a1a
    Options
    Lol, yeah, tried nair.

I'd like to know that too, musta been a recent thing seeing as we've only been seeing womens' unclothed arms and legs for a few decades.

Aw Julia, what a champ :-D
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Beautiful yes....sexy no, im sure some dudes are into that but nothing sexy about a hairy woman #deathtonaturale
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't shave my legs ( I don't need to, they aren't that hairy and most people don't believe me when I say I don't because they are still so soft and smooth)

But I do shave my pits because I personally can't stand the look of hair under there.

but to each its and own and more power to you if you can feel sexy and beautiful with not shaving legs or pit.

and don't care about whether or not a guy finds it beautiful. You'll eventually find a guy who either does or doesn't care.
  • 1a1a
    Options
    (That's very true, there are awesome guys out there who see past a little hair :-) ) The question specifically relates to performing in public though.

Just remembered I have a funny story to share. I'd actually forgotten that girls aren't supposed to have hair, out of high school, hanging out with hippies, doing my thing, then one day...

I'm a sound tech by trade and one night I'd finished up working a gig in a pub and was propped up on the bar by my elbows waiting to get paid. It was a hot day so I was in a singlet and and bit sweaty after a night of working. Suddenly I feel something under my arm, I spin around, there's a group of guys sat in a circle, one of them is gesturing towards my underarms going "what's that" (Like he'd never seen underarm hair). A conversation ensues "underarm hair" "are you a guy?" "no, women can grow that you know". That was about the extent of it actually. In hindsight, the little bugger must have actually reached out and pulled my underarm hair. What a cheek! Anyway, that was when I remembered it's taboo.
  • fteale
    Options
    Yes! When exactly did society decide that women need to shave their body hair? I'd like to know!

Well....the ancient Egyptians and Greeks used to remove all their body hair, so I'd say it's been going on for quite some time.
  • fteale
    Options
    I find armpit hair unattractive on men too. Chest hair, fine, but underarm hair just looks like it smells, no matter who it's on.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    A lot more men are beginning to groom themselves. The media portrays a lot of muscle built men with hair free chests and backs...

Not to mention, athletes have been doing it forever too...especially swimmers and cyclists.

I personally find leg and armpit hair very unattractive, and I definitely prefer my legs being smooth.

Each to their own though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz.........