Can girls be beautiful if

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I prefer women with shaved legs and underarms.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can see the photo shop cuts on Julia's pits. It's not even her arm. She is SO vain, she would never let her pits get that hairy.

Actually, no. It was at the Notting Hill movie premiere in the UK - and there were MANY photos of it. I doubt there was a world-wide conspiracy amongst every entertainment outlet/publication to add armpit hair to Julia Roberts.

The silly thing about threads like this is that there isn't any RIGHT or WRONG answer. Beauty and what a person finds attractive is extremely personal and varies wildly from person to person and culture to culture. Of course, some people are going to find hairy legs/armpits immaterial to a woman's overall beauty. Some people will find the hair extremely off-putting. People should do whatever makes them feel beautiful.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, we can be beautiful. My husband still gives me action if I haven't shaved. It's not a big deal. I don't let it grow out like his body hair does, but a little stubble never ruined a good time for us.

I think that since women have less body hair than men, we end up removing a little more hair to look more feminine. However, in my personal belief, if you remove *too much* hair a woman starts to look like a child, and when that becomes sexy, that becomes sick in my mind.

I shave my pits because the deodorant sticks better. I shave my legs more in the summer than in winter because I don't want to explain why I don't if anyone notices. The rest does not get shaven. I might give it a little trim, but I have gotten some nick names over the years for my refusal to shave it. It itches like hell when it grows back in, so I am not trying that ever again.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can see the photo shop cuts on Julia's pits. It's not even her arm. She is SO vain, she would never let her pits get that hairy.

Actually, no. It was at the Notting Hill movie premiere in the UK - and there were MANY photos of it. I doubt there was a world-wide conspiracy amongst every entertainment outlet/publication to add armpit hair to Julia Roberts.

:indifferent: But there could have been :indifferent:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the "Beautiful, yes; sexy, no" sentiment. I like things smooth.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    In terms of a show, no. most guys wouldn't want to pay to see armpit and leg hair. I wouldn't.
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sure... until fairly recently, western culture didn't have nearly the obsession with removing every bit of body hair that we currently do. For example, check out Sophia Loren. She has always been considered a great beauty, in Italy and around the world. Look her up! She sported armpit hair in all her glamorous photos:

sophia_loren_103343o.jpg

And more recently, Julia Roberts

post-9-046146000-1279786672_thumb-500x333.jpg

GROSS.......
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    This is bordering on the TMI Thread, but what the hey.

I shave, because I personally prefer the feel of smooth pits. But as dark as my hair is, I have five o'clock shadow permanently, so I still feel self conscious about my armpits in public.

And that is annoying. Nothing to do about it though.

wax them people! WAX THEM!! it stops the shadow issue :)

Wax for eyebrows, legs, other areas... sure works like a charm. My pits laugh at wax. All I get is clean hair and sore, or worse, torn, skin. If I could laser that stuff out permanently, I would. But I'm told that the laser treatment could cause... wait for it... discoloration of the skin in my armpits.

That's what I have NOW! So, until someone comes up with something that doesn't shred my skin or cause it to turn a different color than the one I'm trying to get rid of, it's just me and the razor.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    they don't shave their leg and underarm hair?

(I am one of these girls so keep the cries of disgust to a dull roar please). I ask because I'm feeling much happier about my body since I've slimmed down a bit and I'd love to do something goofy/fun/sexy like burlesque but in all honesty, could I show my body on stage if I don't shave (and I probably won't shave, it's the last frontier. We're allowed to be fat now, why can't we leave hair where it grows?!!!!!!)

Move to France.

That is such a myth. HARDLY any French women don't remove their underarm and leg hair. They WAX. shaving is for amateurs.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hair doesn't bother me but there's no denying that a lot of people will be grossed out by it. Especially on stage. If you're OK with that, go for it.
    I did dabble as a teenager (even my arm hair haha, I didn't realise that has immunity) but stopped cos the regrowth itches, that's my why anyway.
    If your whole reason for not shaving is the itchiness, have you tried Nair?

OMG DO NOT TRY NAIR! LOL If you hate itchiness NOW , you will hate life later...(shutters) because I could not physically reach my legs to shave when I was pregnant I did this and it made me miserable, like I had a million bug bites that would not stop.....EPIC fail on my part! LOL
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Move to the Yukon!! Hehe :)

We have a celebration every winter and there are lots of silly contests. One of them is "The Hairy Leg Contest" where you go on stage and show off your hairy legs! We love it. :)

(I shave personally. I enjoy being smooth. Even when I am single I just don't personally like the feel of hair, especially on my legs)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    PERSONALLY -

Underarm hair IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO ME. Except that I find it holds odor like crazy. I'd rather be less stinky, and have to shave it off.

I'm kinda lackadasical about leg hair. I make an effort to shave it once and a while, but really not as often as most people.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good for Julia Roberts imo.

It seems to me that the more opportunities women have in the workplace, the closer we get to equal pay, the more childcare duties fathers take on 'as a norm'............ the MORE WORK WOMEN HAVE TO DO TO BE CONSIDERED FEMININE.

We (as a gender) change our hair, our eyebrows, tint our lashes, whiten our teeth, bleach our upper lip! remove underarm hair. WE exfoliate, moisturise, blah blah blah blah blah.

I don't do all of this, but I succumb to pressure to do some of it. like pteale, I also feel conflcted that I feel obliged to do some of these things.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Can you be beautiful with body hair? Of course. Can you be a conventionally attractive burlesque dancer with body hair? Probably not. If you're going for a look that the majority of people watching a burlesque show will find sexy, you probably need to shave the hair. If you just want to be beautiful for you, do what makes you feel good. But as far as this one goes, you probably can't have it both ways. :-/
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I shave below the knee and that's it - and even that's fairly irregular and down to personal preference. I stopped shaving my underarms last year because I prefer them that way (they're all soft and strokeable now :laugh: ) plus I didn't want to be manipulated by other people's ideals of beauty anymore - everyone's fed a certain ideal from such a young age that it eventually complete manipulates the psyche to the point we get grossed out by something normal like female body hair. :smile:

I've yet to have anyone pass out in shock at the swimming pool at the sight of my hairy pits and my husband still finds me sexy as anything so it's all good :wink:
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am 21 years old. I do not shave at all... the only reason I shaved when I was in my teens was because of peer pressure and because the dudes I was into preferred it that way.
    I am now more comfortable in my own skin and honestly cannot be bothered - why would I want to drag a razor along my skin?!?!
    If I was to get into another relationship again and my partner asked me to shave I would probably say no because it is my body and I want to be this way.

I say do what you want to do. I am all into being natural anyway - I chucked out my make-up and bras at the end of 2011 :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't shave my legs ( I don't need to, they aren't that hairy and most people don't believe me when I say I don't because they are still so soft and smooth)

But I do shave my pits because I personally can't stand the look of hair under there.

but to each its and own and more power to you if you can feel sexy and beautiful with not shaving legs or pit.

and don't care about whether or not a guy finds it beautiful. You'll eventually find a guy who either does or doesn't care.

Me too. ANd I find that the underarm hair makes me smell more. But I never had any hair above the knee, and every year my leg hair just falls out, so there just isn't enough to bother. I have one small patch of hair left on my knee, so I shave every few months.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That's a personal choice and there's nothing wrong with it if you choose to not shave! In Europe, it's very acceptable to not shave. Our North American culture is way too hung up on shaving, cleaning, scrubbing, tanning, etc., our bodies. Au naturel is hot!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    My theory: men (speaking generally) want women to look like little girls because it make us easier to control. Not that they consciously think this, it just seems to be human nature. That explains why ideals of beauty in women involve shaving, makeup, and all sorts of other things, which I believe have been defined and dictated by men. Personally I view not shaving, wearing makeup and shoes I can barely walk in as a moral issue, although I admit I do shave in the summer because I don't want to draw attention to myself.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think so. I don't shave my arms or legs. Its only in the summer do I shave my underarms and sometimes in the winter I'll shave my underarms once. But I'm not a big fan of shaving, I dont see the point of it, i mean I keep things tended to but even then its just whatever, hair is there for a reason to protect the organ (skin) so why bother trying to shave it off to look like a baby/prepubescent?