Can girls be beautiful if

Options

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. While conventionally body hair is not seen as attractive on a woman:

a. if someone doesn't want to be your friend because you have body hair, you probably wouldn't want them as a friend anyway.

b. as far as finding a romantic partner, you only really need one. Not only would I expect that you would find a more genuine partner this way, but there are billions of people on this planet. I highly doubt everyone has the same preference.

I wouldn't worry about it. Not everything is black or white.
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    This is bordering on the TMI Thread, but what the hey.

I shave, because I personally prefer the feel of smooth pits. But as dark as my hair is, I have five o'clock shadow permanently, so I still feel self conscious about my armpits in public.

And that is annoying. Nothing to do about it though.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think that it shouldnt be expected of woman to shave..
    But i just find the thought of clumpy hair under my arms feels and looks disgusting..
    I think its kind of like make-up, you dont have to wear it to be beautiful, but it normally helps...
    (well in my case anyway lol..)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking:
    I cant function unless I have shaved it all off. I start getting stubble-trouble and I make a b-line for the bathroom and get my razor at-the-ready.

To each his own, but if you are a woman who wants to have the hair.. please please please PLEASE, shower regularly, use plenty of deoderant.....
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i dont care for hairy legs/pits for myself and my hubby doesnt like it either, i think that the majority of the public are in this camp too and unless you are performing to only a select group (crunchy, organic types) i dont think that the audience would find it attractive.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think body hair on women is not attractive. And on men, should be mimimal.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to start trying to figure out why and when it started as a social norm, but personally, less hair == better.

Have you tried waxing? I pretty much wax everything - pits/legs/and complete brazilians. (now looking into perm removal)
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Confession: In the winter, I DONT shave. At all. lol I shaved for the first time yesterday in about six months and I went through two razors and about an hour and a half. Personally, I love the way my legs/armpits feel when shaven but it is so much freaking work! lol

It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you feel beautiful, you are!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Sure... until fairly recently, western culture didn't have nearly the obsession with removing every bit of body hair that we currently do. For example, check out Sophia Loren. She has always been considered a great beauty, in Italy and around the world. Look her up! She sported armpit hair in all her glamorous photos:

sophia_loren_103343o.jpg

When I was scrolling down, I thought, oh what a beautiful picture, then I saw the armpit hair & it's takes away some of the beauty of the shot. I'm not against not shaving, I don't shave my legs unless I'm going to be wearing a skirt, or the hair gets too long & sometimes forget to shave my underarms for a week, but not everyone likes it, so if you don't want negative comments & disgusted looks, I PERSONALLY wouldn't flaunt it. I don't mind hair on men, just not chest or back hair.
    *Look, I said personally, so no haters ;]!
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Since the original question is regarding performing, I must say that I believe the majority of a crowd watching a burlesque show will be put off by a hairy female dancer.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    they don't shave their leg and underarm hair?

(I am one of these girls so keep the cries of disgust to a dull roar please). I ask because I'm feeling much happier about my body since I've slimmed down a bit and I'd love to do something goofy/fun/sexy like burlesque but in all honesty, could I show my body on stage if I don't shave (and I probably won't shave, it's the last frontier. We're allowed to be fat now, why can't we leave hair where it grows?!!!!!!)

Isn't that a European trait for some people? I believe the US has a small portion of people that choose not to, but I believe it's all personal choice anyway. No one else has a say so in that, unless your family or significant other has a good argument about it.

To each his own - live and let live - and all those other cliche's that tout about it.

~katie
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i shave only on special occasions. i don't mind being hairy and my boyfriend doesn't mind it either. he chooses not to shave anything either. as long as we're both comfortable with it, it works. it's natural after all.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

I shave, because I personally prefer the feel of smooth pits. But as dark as my hair is, I have five o'clock shadow permanently, so I still feel self conscious about my armpits in public.

I have that too, it's so annoying.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    oh - i just caught the burlesque thing ...

I AM in a burlesque troop and while we have girls of all types and sizes, I've never seen an unshaven/unwaxed girl.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It really depends on if you are asking Men or Women. Most men would probably not really think much about it. Women in general are much more... finicky, about themselves and other women (from an aesthetic perspective). Of course, this is only a generality, and there are excepts, but for my part, I don't think it detracts at all.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options

wax them people! WAX THEM!! it stops the shadow issue :)
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    and this whole european thing.

im european, its not a european thing and hasnt been for a long time.
  • BlackBeltJourney
    Options
    I really, Really, REALLY believe that women ought to be in charge of their own bodies. Your personal appearance is PERSONAL!!! Love yourself and care for yourself how you see fit. What is the deal with the ever-shifting definition of Ideal Woman? Such a load of Effed-up B.S.! No one ever hears about how the Ideal Man LOOKS.

Let's think more about what our gorgeous powerful bodies can DO.

~ERIN in MI~
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    oh - i just caught the burlesque thing ...

I AM in a burlesque troop and while we have girls of all types and sizes, I've never seen an unshaven/waxed girl.

I would think the majority of the crowd wouldn't react too kindly to a hairy dancer.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Sure... until fairly recently, western culture didn't have nearly the obsession with removing every bit of body hair that we currently do. For example, check out Sophia Loren. She has always been considered a great beauty, in Italy and around the world. Look her up! She sported armpit hair in all her glamorous photos:

sophia_loren_103343o.jpg

And more recently, Julia Roberts

post-9-046146000-1279786672_thumb-500x333.jpg

Sorry, I can see the photo shop cuts on Julia's pits. It's not even her arm. She is SO vain, she would never let her pits get that hairy.