Does anyone else pretty much have NO support at all?

Options
I mean other than MFP community? I am getting no support at all from my family or my boyfriend. I'm pretty much completely on my own with this. Is anyone in the same boat? I'll probably just quit telling the people in my life about my success because they only say things that will discourage me, I am just sick of it. I weighed in today and I lost another 1.6 pounds and I was really excited, but then today I got two snide remarks, one from my mother and one from the boyfriend, which kind of killed it for me. It really pisses me off. Sorry for the rant just had to get that off my chest.

Replies

• hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    sadly this is pretty common. You did really awesome on your weigh in, dont let anyone take that from you. You deserve to feel good!!
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    That is probably the hardest thing. I did go through that once, and I wound up keeping my successes to myself because in the end, it's going to be obvious when the healthier version of you emerges.

I'd rather say nothing than get the snide remarks or any comment that could de-rail me. Even when friends knew I was completely overhauling how I ate, I still get those who insist on presenting me with seconds or "just a little more?" at a meal, or at a family dinner, attempting to push dessert, or leftovers on me.

That was both hard, and very disappointing. I would never sabotage anyone else's weight loss plan, so it was sad to know they would. Frankly, I got pissed. And I work harder when I'm mad.
  • olygirl1971
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. Don't let others kill it for you. If it bothers you, you should feel free to say something. It's not okay for others to make us feel badly about ourselves, regardless of who they are. No support? ha!!! I've been living in a foreign country now for 3 years, and anyone 5 pounds over their "ideal" weight is just flat out told 'you're fat' - there is no polite monitor here. It does wonders for your self esteem (insert massive sarcastic overtones there). So, if that makes you feel any better - just think of that! :)
  • used2beunderage
    Options
    your man probably thinks when you lose a lot of weight that you will find someone else. that's why he is so negative about your loss. let him know that he is the one you want your size now or smaller. as for your mother, maybe she enjoys being the smaller of the two if that is the case. don't know bout that one.
  • sailorsaturn
    Options
    i know what you are feeling, family bringing in candy and cookies. boyfriend thinks that if he don't drink soda and pukes at the gym that he is better than you. people saying you need sleep but when you sleep you have to get up to go to the gym. gym cost rising. boyfriend weighs more than me and telling me i have flabby arms.
  • harmonious1
    harmonious1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Girl, I feel ya. Same here. My husband says he doesn't mean to be mean, but when all I'm trying to hear is a simple good job, it kinda hurts and discouraging. Like what I'm doing isn't good enough. blah, that's a reason why I started this cause I need simple suport.:angry:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Totally know the feeling. Not a lot of support around here. Don't let it get you down. When I did have a BF (he's long gone now) I was so excited to buy a pair of medium pants. His response? "So? they're still not a small" I wanted to kill him.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yep I barely get any support at all except from maybe my dad. All I get is nit picky BS about depriving myself of horrible foods I shouldn't eat in the first place. I also wish I got more support on here but most people on here are very supportive though.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Same here, people in my life don't understand that I want to get fit. I need more MFP friends, I'll add you.
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am in that boat. I have food pushing going on. My husband is not really helping me. My family when i say i have lost 12 lbs acts like woopi doo. I hear how big i am all the time and how I used to be so pretty. So I understand where you are coming from. One of the most stupid things came from my mom. She said if you want to loose it the just eat salid and drink water everyday. Coming from her who weighs 97lbs and smokes like a freight train.
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yes i have been on my own with my new life style for over a year. for the first 6 months when i was at my strongest i was doing great i lost 52lbs. then the holiday stress hit. along with that i have no support from my wife. i know she loves me but she is to wrapped up in all her facebook mommy groups to give me any attention. so my weightloss took a step back and i gained 15 back so i found this site and all the great support i lost 9 so far. and whats really sad is after losing 52lbs you would think your SO would pay more attention but i think its gotten worse
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I consider myself very lucky, in that I have an amazing husband, who is so supportive. I have been in your shoes before...a previous boyfriend told me when I REALLY wanted to change, I would...so, well, it did...I lost about 200 lbs of unwanted fat...HIM!!! We are all SO proud of you and your weight loss, but, even more important...that you have the desire to be fit and healthy. Easier said than done, but try not to let it get to you. Don't give away your power like that. You are strong and determined and amazing! So, when anyone tells you differently, just go into the bathroom, look yourself square in the eyes and tell yourself that...love yourself and celebrate your successes...if they can't realize how exciting it is, well, their loss...don't let their misery become yours...you are doing great!!! Keep it up!!! BTW...I am a good cheerleader if you want to friend me :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I get a "hey, congratulations" if I really make a point of pointing out how much weight I've lost (22 lbs in 6 weeks). Other than that, it's just me.

The way I choose to look this, I'm doing this for me. I have made me and my health a priority in my life. I don't care if you support me or are envious of me and the positive changes I am making in my life. I will enjoy every step of this journey because this is my life.
  • bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and support everyone, it really helped cheer me up :) I think my mom thinks I am going to develop an eating disorder and my boyfriend just didn't think I needed to lose any weight in the first place. So my mother is afraid and the boyfriend just doesn't care that much.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep, absolutely. Sorry to hear you're going through it, too. Hey when you have NSVs and scale victories you kinda have to enjoy them on your own. You're in it for yourself, bunnylvr, weight loss is not a participation sport.

My classics:

* Wife was dubious about my commitment at the start, then lost interest because of the impact it had on her life ('You're getting up at 5am to go for a run AGAIN? Quit waking me up!' and 'If you want to lose weight, fine, just stop being such a selfish prick about what you eat'). Is now irritated because 80% of my wardrobe has to be thrown away.

* Mother-in-law told me that people who diet beyond what she considers to be a healthy weight (note at the time she made this comment, I was 27% body fat and still in the 'Obese' BMI range) run the risk of forming a mental illness / eating disorder. Has yet to congratulate me on weight loss or fitness. Told me (after injury) that I should listen to my body and just not exercise. She's probably 20 kilos overweight and will likely carry it for the rest of her life; next month I will run 14km for charity, so I don't really pay any attention to her any more.

I stopped waiting for people to mention - or even notice - my weight loss until they asked about it, and stopped enthusing about how wonderful exercise was unless I found someone who wanted to talk about it. My appearance now shocks people I haven't seen for some time - I guess this is validation in some way??
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    Good job on losing the lbs! I've never had that happen to me before but i can just imagine how that made you feel. ;( Seems to me like they are just jealous of what you accomplished and/or dont understnad how hard it is to work it off! If anything they should be proud of you!! keep up the fabulous work and do what you do. dont let anyone take your sense of accomplishment away from you!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    This reminds me of my ex husband. After my second child was born, I had about 50 pounds to lose, which I did, getting down to 135 pounds and looking good for the summer (year was 1990, child was born june 1989). So I lost the weight and was wearing little cutsie shorts and tanning and stuff and I turned around in front of him and said "Aren't you glad I lost all my weight and look hot again like when we met?" He answered " When you get down to about 125, I'll be happy."

So, stupid me, I diet like crazy and lose the ten pounds and so here I am looking like I did in high school (I was 27) and getting compliments from everyone, but he never notices. I told him I lost the weight and he just shrugs it off, like it's no big deal. The real kicker is that he was over 100 pounds overweight! He was over 300 pounds at six feet even.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    They just want to talk about themselves. Ask about them, first. Then spill your good news!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    That's true, if you don't ask about them and harp on about all the good things you've been doing you don't come across well! At least converse a bit first and ask them about themselves before you start gushing about your own successes! (Trust me I've learned this the hard way a couple of times!)

That said, there's the following thing my friend said to me when I was in the same situation as all of you:

"Everyone is happy to get behind a fat bloke, but once a fat bloke starts becoming a thin bloke, the knives come out."..very very true! I had the exact same things, when I first started losing everyone was making sure I hit my calories and that I was doing it right and were happy to talk about it and congradulate me.. The closer I got to their weights the more *****y they got about comments. The favourite seems to be asking about skin and being really nasty about it to try and keep you below them. I actually had to get a few new friends as a result because some just couldn't be nice about it. (don't want them as friends if they're that shallow anyway!)

Oh and to the person who's boyfriend is being nasty, it's because he's worried you'll get fit and get bored of him and move onto someone fitter like you are now. You have to reassure him but at the same time the doubts will still be there, from experience with good reason because I was engaged and the works when I was losing all of mine and we broke up near the end of my journey, I'd completely changed as a person and she was still the same. She'd want to stay in and eat unhealthily while I wanted to always be out and about doing new things, meeting new people and being very healthy and doing lots of exercise. We just ended up being complete opposites so he's probably got good reason to worry a little! :p
  • psposey
    psposey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a similar story all the way around. I enjoy my own success, not so much in big numbers lost but lifting more, running farther, lowering my body fat. Family, especailly my wife and son struggle with weight and while not nasty about it, do not share in my accomplishments because of their struggles. My bottom line is that I do this for myself. In my profile I talk about my Dad who was 70 at the time on the floor with my son, then 2 play wrestling on the floor and I told myself when I turn 70 and have Grandkids I want to be able to do that. I am going to be able to take that hike, run that race, and be able to keep up with the grandchildren!