CHILL!!!

Replies

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Omg, I LIVE with a spaz and it drives me NUTS! Spaz over things that are WORTH spazzing over. Not trivial, harmless, pointless, petty little things. Its just not worth it.

I got a spare room

no spaz here

On the internet I have come to learn you need to learn when jokes are appropriate and not appropriate. The more people I've dealt with I've learned you can easily offend someone. You have to remember that people have real feelings on the other side of the screen and you can either make someone upset, laugh, or cry. You have to be sensitive on the internet like you do in real life. Something to really keep in mind. Don't be so easy to dismiss someone or make jokes about someone, because right now I'm not too impressed with some of the members on this board.

impressed?

but judgmental....not a pleasant way to go through life

Dave I'm not being judemental I'm stating a fact based on what I've read so far. You could be a realy nice guy in real life but on the internet it's easier to offend people why? because you don't have to be face to face with someone to see what they're reactions will be.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Omg, I LIVE with a spaz and it drives me NUTS! Spaz over things that are WORTH spazzing over. Not trivial, harmless, pointless, petty little things. Its just not worth it.

I got a spare room

no spaz here

On the internet I have come to learn you need to learn when jokes are appropriate and not appropriate. The more people I've dealt with I've learned you can easily offend someone. You have to remember that people have real feelings on the other side of the screen and you can either make someone upset, laugh, or cry. You have to be sensitive on the internet like you do in real life. Something to really keep in mind. Don't be so easy to dismiss someone or make jokes about someone, because right now I'm not too impressed with some of the members on this board.

impressed?

Dave I'm being judemental I'm stating a fact based on what I've read so far.

freudian slip?
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    My experience on here has been that 99.9% of the people on here mean well. They want to educate, they want to debate. They don't want to chase people away, and they don't want to offend. I've been reading the posts (it's been a slow day) and nothing I saw was a joke made at the expense of someone else.

If something that you are reading on the internet is making you cry, you shouldn't be on it. If someone you don't know has that kind of power over you, you're going to need to see a therapist, and I don't mean that in a mean way. I'm 100% serious.

With that said... it is good to remind ourselves to be KIND in what we say... internet or no internet. Just because you yourself are not a sensitive person doesn't mean that everyone out there is that strong. We know you mean well, but I have seen some down talking. No need for it to go that far.

My two cents.

I've been here since November and what I've seen is that if you don't agree with the more popular posters you'll get one of two reactions:

1. You will get a good debate.
    2. You will get snarky after snarky response that isn't a discussion and isn't an attempt to educate, it's just an attempt to completely negate the 'wrong' opinion and at times an attempt to make fun of the wrong opinion which CAN very much offend some people because some people take their opinion very personally.

It's interesting how people have so many different experiences in the same place but it's because we're all so different. :smile:
  • Dave198lbs

I got a spare room

no spaz here

impressed?

Dave I'm not being judemental I'm stating a fact based on what I've read so far. You could be a realy nice guy in real life but on the internet it's easier to offend people why? because you don't have to be face to face with someone to see what they're reactions will be.

it is a fact to you based on what you percieve

but passing on your perception as a fact is not fair
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Falcon - and my experience in message boards is that members can have relationships with each other that other random members of the same board don't know about. I've seen Roxy & Dave make comments back & forth for a few weeks now. He's never crossed a line with her & juding on Roxy's style, she'd put him in her place if she thought he did. Dave can be blunt, but he's honest. Another thing to remember is that there are men & women on this board &, as in real life, men & women communicate differently with each other. Men aren't as easily offended & women can take things on a raw nerve sometimes.

Hold on...where is that chill pill that Soupy brought in. I think you might need one.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Falcon - and my experience in message boards is that members can have relationships with each other that other random members of the same board don't know about. I've seen Roxy & Dave make comments back & forth for a few weeks now. He's never crossed a line with her & juding on Roxy's style, she'd put him in her place if she thought he did. Dave can be blunt, but he's honest. Another thing to remember is that there are men & women on this board &, as in real life, men & women communicate differently with each other. Men aren't as easily offended & women can take things on a raw nerve sometimes.

Hold on...where is that chill pill that Soupy brought in. I think you might need one.

Nicely said Triple B.:drinker:
  • Falcon

I got a spare room

no spaz here

impressed?

It is not about crossing lines it's about how your presenting yourself to someone
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    LIGHTEN UP! The world isn't so serious! Laugh a little! If people are offended over every little thing, what a dark place it must be. Again. As Roxy said...CHILL!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    208g2o8_th.jpg
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I need extra-strength CHILL lately with these preggo hormones going crazy!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs

I got a spare room

no spaz here

impressed?

It is not about crossing lines it's about how your presenting yourself to someone

does that work both ways?

I hope so
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216

I got a spare room

no spaz here

So you're saying that those who like to joke and be more direct should take into account those who are too thin skinned to realize that it can NEVER be personal if you don't know the person IRL.

Lets all be sensitive to one way of thinking because it merely seems nicer.

I don't think the "sensitive" people are necessarily all that nice. Why would a person assume strangers are out to get them? I don't assume that, but I'm familiar with the adage "It takes one to know one."

Maybe instead of getting offended, people should read and listen. "Get off your butt and get healthy so you can live longer and stop whining" isn't mean. A nice filet tastes just as good served on a plastic plate as it does on a silver platter.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Oh Dang, I must have missed something...

Listen, I'm about as sensitive as they come. Ask my DH - I can get my feeling hurt in a heartbeat. Ya know what I've learned? All that "sensitivity" is really a mask for anger ... I've spent my whole life feeling like it's easier to be "hurt" than it is to be angry. When someone was mean - I cried. When my ex hit me - I cried. When I was a single mom - I cried. And the WHOLE TIME I was crying... I was dipping my spoon in some ice cream.

When I made the decision to get healthy - it was a decision to get TOTALLY healthy - mentally, physically, spiritually... and part of that has been being honest about what I'm really feeling. If I need to get mad - I get mad. If I need to be sad - I get sad. What I don't do anymore is self-medicate with ice cream, chips, french fries, etc.

My point is this... I challenge those who are feeling "hurt" on the boards or those who are feeling "attacked" to really sit back and look at whether they "should" feel that way.

Is Dave blunt? Oh heck yeah! Will Dave tell you your full of crap if he feels that you're full of crap? Sure will... but in the same respect, I gotta tell ya - his "no bull" attitude makes his "Way to go"s seem that much more credible. When I post something and Dave says, "Wow - good job" - it always makes me feel good... because I know he's just as likely to tell me, "Quit complaining and get on the treadmill." I use Dave as an example because it seems that quite a few people have a problem with his bluntness... my suggestion? If you don't like reading what he has to say - skip over his posts.

Ok - stepping off my soapbox now. Carry on....
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member

Listen, I'm about as sensitive as they come. Ask my DH - I can get my feeling hurt in a heartbeat. Ya know what I've learned? All that "sensitivity" is really a mask for anger ... I've spent my whole life feeling like it's easier to be "hurt" than it is to be angry. When someone was mean - I cried. When my ex hit me - I cried. When I was a single mom - I cried. And the WHOLE TIME I was crying... I was dipping my spoon in some ice cream.

When I made the decision to get healthy - it was a decision to get TOTALLY healthy - mentally, physically, spiritually... and part of that has been being honest about what I'm really feeling. If I need to get mad - I get mad. If I need to be sad - I get sad. What I don't do anymore is self-medicate with ice cream, chips, french fries, etc.

My point is this... I challenge those who are feeling "hurt" on the boards or those who are feeling "attacked" to really sit back and look at whether they "should" feel that way.

Is Dave blunt? Oh heck yeah! Will Dave tell you your full of crap if he feels that you're full of crap? Sure will... but in the same respect, I gotta tell ya - his "no bull" attitude makes his "Way to go"s seem that much more credible. When I post something and Dave says, "Wow - good job" - it always makes me feel good... because I know he's just as likely to tell me, "Quit complaining and get on the treadmill." I use Dave as an example because it seems that quite a few people have a problem with his bluntness... my suggestion? If you don't like reading what he has to say - skip over his posts.

WELL said!! Excellent post!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am in complete agreement! :wink:
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216

Stop being so sensitive. It's just too adorable.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member

Me too!
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    A nice filet tastes just as good served on a plastic plate as it does on a silver platter.

Beautiful!! SO true! Love it!!! :drinker:
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146

You're awesome! I admire ppl who are honest with themselves. Its very important! :flowerforyou:
  • Falcon
    This is supposed to be a support board and I saw a member quite today wow
  • Dave198lbs
    This is supposed to be a support board and I saw a member quite today wow

so if someone quits
    this isnt a support board?
This discussion has been closed.