Poll: YES or NO? Saying "Great Job!" On Your Diary

Options

Replies

• Thelala
    Thelala Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I appreciate encouragement. I don't expect anyone to read and judge my food journal. I need nice people on my side. I don't enjoy the message boards being pushy or judgmental. Everyone has their own issues.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have over 200 friends. So not only can I not comment on everyone's diary, I certainly can't study everyone's diary. I hate those times when I get busted saying "good job" to someone who's only eaten 600 cals, so if I see that's happened I go back and change it. But really it's an honest mistake. There are plenty of people out there with closed diaries, they could be eating who knows how little.

I look at as many diaries as I can and comment accordingly. I don't get all high and mighty when someone eats "crap". I'm sure plenty of people would find dozens of things wrong with my diary, lots of carbs, the occasional diet soda.. but I'm doing what's working for me and it's working great. Support is nice, but at the end of the day only one person is responsible for our health choices.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think if someone is under their calorie goal no matter what they eat I think it's a great job. Even if it's under 1200 calories. I figure if you're not hungry, don't eat. Some days we don't eat the best food and if we still manage to stay under I consider that a great job. None of us are perfect and some days we just don't eat all that healthy. Personally I rarely eat sweets but if I did and managed to stay under I would appreciate a "great job" message.
  • Thelala
    Thelala Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I say "great job logging" no matter what.

Logging is accountibility.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    it depends........ I have some friends that I know are consistantly under by way too much, them, I look first. And I make sure I look at theirs every day. the ones who are consistant, I will just say "great job" or way to go or something....... But if I dont know the person's track record, I just dont say anything at all without looking at it.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I tend to mostly comment on exercise. IF I comment on your diary I've read it and my comment is written so you can tell I've read it.
  • brettle1
    brettle1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I say "great job logging" no matter what.

Logging is accountibility.

Yes!! I totally agree with this! :happy:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do not post on anyones diary unless I see it first and expect others to do so as well. I will not congratulate you for coming under your calories if I see your day was spent at mcdonalds and burger king to me that is not good. I also will not congratulate if your diary is hidden or you deliberately eat less than 1100 calories per day consistently ( I understand there are times when you are sick or have had dental work that may cause you to miss this mark I know I have on occassion). I expect the same from others to hold me accountable and to help and encourage me to make the best food choices for me. Just the other day I posted my diary and only logged about 300 calories for the day thinking people would say something and make comments. All I did receive was great job which tells me I have some really unhealthy friends or they did not take the time to read it.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone thinks about what I eat as long as I am under or just at my calorie intake goal, and as long as I am working out as well.

My diary is open for all to see, and I do not care what anyone has to say about it....

it's my mouth---end of story! :)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't comment unless I look. I don't want to encourage bad eating by mistake.

Ditto.
    And if the diary concerns me because the past few days they've been clocking in at 800 cals, I say so. I'm not judging, I'm expressing concern. At the end of the day, it's their food and their body.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, when I throw out a generic great job -- it's for actually logging, especially when I can't see the diary. When I first started, it was soooo hard for me to consistently log, so (to me) logging in itself is worthy of support. It's a start, especially for those at the very beginning. Besides, who am I to judge the quality of the food they are eating...I am certainly not perfect in my own choices.

On the other hand, once I have a friend that I know well and who is consistently logging, I'll be sure to give more specific praise when they deserve it. If they have a crappy food day, I'll be sure to give them a "tomorrow is a new day" or something like that. Personally, I never critique unless specifically asked ... because we are all here for the same reason because we've had the same struggle. And I absolutely hate getting that PM that says ... "Whoa! A little too much wine today." or "You went way over on sodium today good luck ever having abs." <--(it happened) ....I logged it, so trust me, I know :drinker:

^^^^^^^ This all the way. Great comment
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to read it ... Don't take time to comment on it !

Somebody might be under and had a Big Mac from McDonalds and three Hershey bars for the day ... And some *kitten* comes along and says " great job staying under " ....

Really ??? Seriously ??? Wow ! Why not just say " great job clogging your arteries " !!!! Diabolical !

Yeah ... I have a STRONG opinion on this subject ! :drinker:

YEP TOTALLY AGREE with this :drinker:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I only comment when i read it. I dont want to say good job, great day, or whatever if they only ate 600 calories of gummy bears all day. lol

I try to be more specific than just great job, and maybe point out something that seemed really yummy or a great choice or whatnot.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    If I don't read the diary then I don't post a comment.
    If I read the diary and I do not see one fruit or veg...(and NO potato chips and french fries don't count for me) then I will not comment OR I will find something different to make a positive comment about....like, "nice job on the water today!"

I HATE it when people just randomly say good job! Anyone can come in under their calories it takes a lot of work to come in totally even on calories THAT deserves a good job!

I have really good days and I have totally awful days....I make notes in my diary for everyone to know what I did!
    If I read a diary that has a note in it AND some crazy food stuff going on then I will comment accordingly.
    I don't like to encourage people to eat unhealthy but I'm not perfect either so I just follow the rule:
    "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." But I like to be supportive of everyone's efforts too so I try really hard to find something positive to comment on!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I don't comment about people's diaries, mostly because I'm not on when people have completed them....I comment exercise and calories burned as encouragement for work done.

Also, I never "complete" my diary because I don't really think about others commenting good job or whatever, I don't feel like I need it at this point, and honestly I end up completing mine the next morning anyway.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I only comment on a diary that I have actually read. I do try to pick up on what different people feel like they struggle with though - so even though I know I would have had a bad day if I only had a few bits of veg here and there I still say good job to someone that I know used to never eat any vegetables at all, and that day they managed to make some progress when it comes to that.

We're all different and though someone might not have had an ideal day, they might still have had a good day compared to their yesterday - and I don't mind encouraging progress rather than perfection.
  • dr0p4ah0y
    dr0p4ah0y Posts: 22
    Options
    personally, if I comment at all, it's on a positive status that the person wrote themselves, lol. i err on the side of caution.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had this same thought earlier this morning. Sometimes, I'll have a wonderful food day, full of nutritious choices and great macros. But I'll be over by 20 or 30 calories. I get no comments because I wasn't "under my calories." But the days I go under, I get tons of congrats and great-jobs. Kind of upsetting.

I think a lot of people think that HAVE to be under their calories to have a good day. If it is set at 1200 it is NOT good to be under calories for the day (though I am guilty of this as I am trying to eat cleaner but when I get some things eating out I guestimate calories on the foods and would rather eat less than more).
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There are so many different opinions as to what's the right thing to eat, I don't think you would get a stright answer. Personally I don't post my food journal (when I do) to be judged.

THIS!!!!