50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning

Happy Birthday Vicki and Anne

Welcome Traska I hope you enjoy this thread; I know I do.

Too busy at work these days to spend any time on line but I'm here and still fighting the good fight. I had another maintain weigh in but that's better than gaining. I know that each and every time I make the right choice or decision I am retraining my brain to think healthy. Hopefully my bad habits that got me 100 lbs overweight will soon be a thing of the past.

Hope you all have a great day

Heather
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Thank you Heather.
    Vicki
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This is a quickie post as my internet connection seems to work for the last 24 hours as well about as well as my bike riding did on Sunday! :laugh: Speaking of which, I felt fine on Monday, no aches and pains, but this morning, I woke up to pains all over the place. I guess they took a day to catch up with me:grumble: Now if I can chase them away, I will be in business.

I have somehow misplaced my walking shoes, so I decided that must be God's way of telling me I have put off straightening up my house long enough!!:laugh: I already called the friends I visited on Saturday because I remember putting planning to put my shoes in the car, but I didn't leave them there--not in the car either, so I guess they will turn up.

:flowerforyou: Someone was asking about Grammymax, the founder of this thread. I don' t have time to look for the specific message, but within the last week or maybe the prior one, I recall her saying she was going to be visiting a family member that didn't have internet service, and she said she would not be on here until she got home. I don't have time to go back and find the specific message, but I am sure I didn't imagine it.

:flowerforyou: Barbicat is on the road I'll bet, because I think I recall her saying they would be home by later in this week. Maybe they will toot their horn at me as they go past my town.:smile:

BTW, here is a helpful household hint from someone who thinks "iron" is a 4-letter word---but WAIT--it IS a 4-letter word!!:laugh: If you don't own and iron, like me, or it is hiding somewhere in your house, you would be amazed well you can shake a lot of wrinkles out of most things if you toss them in the dryer on low for a couple of minutes with a couple of clean bath towels.!!

When I have more time, I will post a little bit about what I did on Monday. I managed to stay online to send this so I am going to leave my pc on for a while and see if stays connected. Either Comcast is playing with me or my wireless network is being a little bratty.

I am going to perservere on my housework, in spite of the "HELP" I am getting from Pepper and Mai Li.
    Pepper has decided the pile of dirty laundry on my ottomon was placed there so he will have a new place to nap. Mai Li has finally figured out that if she doesn't park herself in the doorway between my living room and bedroom that she won't have to move every time I go back and forth putting things away.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: ANNE--I am a space cadet. All those birthday wishes flying around and I forgot to say Happy Birthday yesterday. Hope you had a great time.!!

And :flowerforyou: VICKI--Happy Birthday to you, also!!

Barb
  • vickim26
    Options
    Thank you Barb. I had a great day,.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my wonderful friends, :love: :love: :love: :love:

We are out of California and 100 miles into Oregon. We drove one of the most beautiful drives in North America this morning
    US 101 from Eureka to Crescent City, then US 199 to Grants Pass Oregon through the Smith River Canyon.

We’re at the RV park with the fenced dog yard next to our RV space and the exercise room and pool. The dogs have played in the yard several times, we’ve taken two walks in the 75 degree sunshine, and used the treadmill and stationery bike in the exercise room.

Dinner was 4 ½ ounce chicken breast, salad and frozen oriental vegetables. Later we may go to the pool.

:flowerforyou: Barb----I fell off my bike in 1976 and never rode a bike again. I hope you’ll be all healed very soon.

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo---riding your bike to the cemetery is a great way to burn calories.

:flowerforyou: Nancy---I loved hearing about how you dealt with the festivities of your son’s birthday. There was a children’s book about thunder cake. Is that where you got the recipe? Your garden sounds wonderful.

:flowerforyou: Vicki---I hope you continue to do well with all the cake and goodies that everyone had for your birthday. How fortunate you are that so many people want to celebrate with you.

:flowerforyou: Debbie---I don’t like bikes either except for the stationery kind. I love to walk and have an mp3 player for listening to music because I don’t have any friends that I can count on to go with me or even talk on the phone. I do a lot of my walking at the dog park and try to keep my eye on my dogs all the time especially when there are other dogs there.

:flowerforyou: Becky—I agree with you, I can never just have a taste of cake or any goodie. I just have to stay away. Your husband sounds like a darling being so helpful. I’m glad your last surgery took care of your problems. You have bounced back so amazingly. I remember when you were very discouraged.

:flowerforyou: Zaza----I walk more now when I’m waiting for things, too. I used to carry a book with me and sit in waiting rooms the whole time. It’s so much healthier to walk.

:flowerforyou: Marie---I am so excited for you that you got to buy clothes in a smaller size----no more shopping in the “tent” department for something to wear. Your weekend getaway sounds like it was perfect.

:explode: Traska----welcome to the thread. This is a great group. Check in with us regularly and we’ll get to know you and you’ll get to know us and we’ll support each other through this journey.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I’m glad you checked in even though you’ve been busy. I agree that maintaining is better than gaining. Sometimes your body sits still for awhile. Keep up all the healthy eating and good exercise.

Tomorrow we’ll continue up I-5 and go past where Esther lives in Oregon and where Barb lives in Washington. I’ll holler and wave as we drive by.

Let’s all keep up the good work. We can do it.
    Big hugs, :heart: :love: :heart: :love:
    Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: I just located a post from Esther where she said that she would be traveling most of the month of May so maybe she's in some cyber dead spot.

Barbie
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Vickie - Happy Birthday:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie - A lady at church brought this cake to one of our potlucks - I made a lightened version previously, but I knew my son would prefer the "real" thing. It's one box of Chocolate Cake mix, I used German Chocolate - bake as directed in a 9 x 13 pan let it cool for 15 minutes, pole holes all over it with a wooden spoon, spread a can of sweetened condensed milk let it soak in and then spread a 16 oz jar of Hot Fudge Sauce over the top and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve spread with Whipped Cream and crumble toffee bars on top. :smile: To reduce the calories previously I made in a jellyroll pan which only takes 15 minutes to bake, I spread with the low fat condensed milk and sugar free hot fudge sauce and the light cool whipand sprinkle with chocolate ice cream sprinkles - cuts the calories in half. Everyone at the office loved it.

Becky - Strawberries - I have bought seeds in the past then decided they were too much trouble so I bought plants instead.:bigsmile: I'm copying what I found on growing strawberry seeds when it said to freeze the seeds and allow them to warm up before planting - this changed my mind about growing from seeds. The directions I found are as follows:
    The steps for growing strawberries from seeds are easy enough that even beginning gardeners can start growing their own hybrid berries.

* Some strawberry seeds, including alpine strawberries, need to be cold-treated before planting. Wrap the seeds and put them in the freezer for about a month. Let them warm up slowly.

* Germinate strawberry seeds by placing them under a thin layer of soil and keeping them moist.

* When the plants get their second set of true leaves, thin them out, leaving three to four inches between plants. Or, replant them into separate containers.

* Once the plants are big enough to plant in the garden, remember to introduce them to the outdoors gradually. Start by setting them outside for a few hours in the afternoon, adding an hour or two each day.

* Transplant your plants into your garden. Pinch off the first flowers so that your plants will develop strong roots.

It's back to the office for me tomorrow -:sad: I've enjoyed my time off even if I've had to work most of the time I've been at home, a lot less stressful.

Nancy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello again,

:flowerforyou: Barbicat--How I envy you making the trip on 101. That is one drive I haven't done yet but would like to.

I did have a pleasant interlude on Monday in a very relaxed rural setting that is amazingly only about 25 minutes from downtown Portland. Some family friends live on "Sauvie Island" which is northwest of Portland on the road to Astoria (Hwy 30). This is a very popular bicycling destination, so when I learned my elderly parents had been invited to a bar b que and turned down a ride offered by the host, I decided to intervene. The thought of multiple bicycles, a narrow country road, and my 83 year old dad driving in the middle of it all :noway: was not a comforting one. I know the hostess well enough to call and "invite" myself, so I could be their chauffeur.

We arrived about 2 pm. It was about 75 degrees, sunny with a little breeze. We ate outside and the ribs were delicious.:heart::heart: There was also plenty of tomatoes, also honeydew melon and watermelon. I also managed to have a vodka with calorie-free tangerine and lime(a Safeway flavor--one of my favorites). :drinker:

My friends' house sits at the edge of the Columbia River, and they actually have stairs down to the beach! From their yard you can see "old flat top" AKA Mt St Helens, as well as Mt Adams-both in Washington, and Mt Hood, which is east of Portland.

A collection of bird houses and feeders were stationed at the edge of the yard, providing an attraction for Robins, Red Winged Blackbirds, and other birds I could not identify. A continual procession of boats, power and sail, travelled east toward Portland as the holiday weekend drew to a close.

There were also a couple of daredevils on personal watercraft--when my ex-husband and I sailed the river, we nicknamed them "jetsquitos." They are just as annoying and flit about like their namesake insect.

After we finished eating, I went back in the house for a moment and when I stepped back outside, there was a HUGE cargo ship sailing west toward Astoria and the open ocean. I managed to take a decent photo of it with Mt Adams in the background.

In deference to the older folks, our hostess brought out numerous blankets and wraps and even a couple of snuggies. It was warm in the sun, but a little breezy for total comfort. After I took a picture of my mom and dad and another couple bundled up but enjoying the view and the fresh air, I seized the opportunity to get my nap - missed earlier in the day when my upstairs neighbor decided to vacuum:grumble:

The last thing I remember was sitting in a comfortable chair, gazing out at the river and feeling nice and snuggly in my blankie. I don't know how long I slept, but my nap was over when my dad came and woke me up to say he wanted to go home.:brokenheart: Well, it was fun while it lasted.:smile:

We bid our host and hostess farewell and drove the 30 minutes back home. Oh, and here is the best part. All those bicyclists whose lives I was saving by making sure I drove instead of my dad---there were hardly ANY on the road. They either got where they were going or went someplace else for the day.:laugh:

By the time we arrived home, it was time to face the prospect of rising early on Tuesday morning, and unfortunately, my nap came so late in the day that I didn't get to bed as early as I should have, as usual.

Well, that is all for now. My ticker has not moved because after the two bar b ques this weekend, I decided there won't be any weighing going on til NEXT weekend. I will have to re evaluate my goals and adjust my ticker accordingly, but that is a task for another day.

I STILL haven't found my walking shoes, so maybe I will get more housecleaning done tomorrow.:laugh:

Good night to all--

Barb
  • mjmontgo
    mjmontgo Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Marilyn and I'm 56 and have lost 12 lbs so far in my quest to lose nearly 80 lbs by this time next year. I can use all the diet-buddies I can get! Look forward to hearing from you!

Marilyn M :drinker:

199817.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • mjmontgo
    mjmontgo Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey Barbiecat!

Just read your post about your travels and was SO jealous! I was born and raised in California and spent the last 2 years of my time in California in Redding, not far from the Oregon border. My folks used to take their RV over to Crescent City every summer and stay at a wonderful RV park called Hiouchi Hamlet, just south and east of Crescent City, back in the redwoods.

I got to visit them a couple of times, and it was heavenly (at least in the dead of summer). They also stayed several times just over the Oregon border at Gold's Beach (I believe that was the name of the town)....great area too!

Have fun!!

Marilyn M :drinker:

199817.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Marilyn,

Welcome and good luck on your weight loss! :flowerforyou: This is a great group to be a part of. We all share a lot of the same issues in our struggles to lose the pounds and it helps to have friends that help keep us on track. Posting your food intake, drinking the water :drinker: and exercising as much as possible seems to be the key and having all these wonderful ladies to be there for each other makes it a whole lot easier.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Well it's back to work for me today so I've got to get going!

Nancy:heart:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:flowerforyou:

Checking in. I haven't had time for reading much. I haven't even had time for logging in. But, I am doing fine with my weight. I'm not losing but that is ok. I miss everyone and wanted to say hello.

:heart: Kathy
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD MORNING ALL,

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SENT ME A HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THOSE WHO ARE ALSO BORN IN MAY.:flowerforyou: I HAD THE BEST CELEBRATION EVER. IT LASTED 3 DAYS. I HAD A PLAN AND I FOLLOWED IT ON MY DAY. HOWEVER, THE OTHER TWO DAYS WERE A WASH OUT. I HAVE TO FORGIVE MYSELF AND MOVE FORWARD. TOO MUCH CAKE, PASTRIES, ICE CREAM. I WAS JUST TOO WEAK. SO, I WENT TO WEIGHT WATCHERS AND I GAINED 3 LBS. OUCH!!!!:sad: IT PAINS ME TO MOVE MY TICKER BACKWARDS. WILL SEE NEXT TUESDAY HOW WELL I DO TO RECTIFY THIS. AT LEAST I WENT TO THE MEETING KNOWING I HAD GAINED. LONG AGO ,I WOULD HAVE AVOIDED IT AND IN SO DOING ,I WOULD HAVE KEPT EATING FOR SEVERAL MORE DAYS. WILL BE DRINKING MY WATER AND HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.:drinker:

I WELCOME ANYONE NEW TO OUR GROUP. I WISH YOU THE BEST RESULTS IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY. THIS IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO FIND FRIENDS AND SUPPORT.

I WON'T TRY TO ADDRESS YOU GIRLS INDIVIDUALLY, JUST WILL SAY THAT I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL MEMORIAL DAY AND THAT YOU ARE ALL DOING WELL AND FEELING WELL.:flowerforyou:

:heart: ANNE
  • vickim26
    Options
    Welcome to the group Marilyn. I believe it will help you and keep you going. it does that for me.
    Welcome back Anne. I missed your comments. I am glad you had a good birthday. Just get back on the wagon and you will be fine.
    I had a pretty quiet day yesterday. took grandkids to chick fil a to play for lunch. watched them swim after. was planning to skip workout cause hubby was taking me to eat supper. He got home early and said get ready. We will go to gym and then go eat and I did and I am glad.
    Only lost 1 pound this morning. Just have to keep going. Have a good day ladies. dont know what time I will get to blog again cause I have 5 of 6 grandkids today and a friend's child. will be busy. talk to you later.
    Vicki
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, Your trip sounds wonderful. I so wish that I could do something like that. I had a tent at one time but it was my son's and I think he took it back. I am always afraid to camp by myself. Just can't trust people these days.

:flowerforyou: A big welcome, Marilyn. You will find some of the nicest people here. They are so encouraging.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, it looks like you are accomplishing a lot. Nice weight lose!

:flowerforyou: Kathy, you have been missed:cry: Glad that you found time to join us this morning. I also have not lost any weight in about a week and a half. I have to get to the gym and weigh myself. Here's hoping I haven't gain due to Monday.

:flowerforyou: One thing I have noticed Anne, is that if you gain a couple of pounds it seems to fall right back off. A lot quicker than the first time.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, isn't it wonderful when the husbands get involved. Mine did for awhile but then he had an accident at work and injured his shoulder. He will go to the gym occasionally but only to use the sauna. I also have had a grandchild here a lot lately. Boy, don't they keep you busy?
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, Your trip sounds wonderful. I so wish that I could do something like that. I had a tent at one time but it was my son's and I think he took it back. I am always afraid to camp by myself. Just can't trust people these days.

:flowerforyou: A big welcome, Marilyn. You will find some of the nicest people here. They are so encouraging.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, it looks like you are accomplishing a lot. Nice weight lose!

:flowerforyou: Kathy, you have been missed:cry: Glad that you found time to join us this morning. I also have not lost any weight in about a week and a half. I have to get to the gym and weigh myself. Here's hoping I haven't gain due to Monday.

:flowerforyou: One thing I have noticed Anne, is that if you gain a couple of pounds it seems to fall right back off. A lot quicker than the first time.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, isn't it wonderful when the husbands get involved. Mine did for awhile but then he had an accident at work and injured his shoulder. He will go to the gym occasionally but only to use the sauna. I also have had a grandchild here a lot lately. Boy, don't they keep you busy?
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and welcome to the newest members:flowerforyou: Truly this is a great site and in particular the members on this thread are the best:heart:

I had a busy day yesterday but still managed to get a really long walk in and a bike ride. It felt wonderful but not to worry I was really careful. Some of the muscles that I haven't used in a long time are complaining today but I know that it can only get better. I am off to appointments so I must sign off but I hope everyone has a terrific day. Keep working at your goals ladies because the results are soooo worth it:bigsmile:

Today I will eat healthy while out, drink my water and walk as much as possible.

Cheers:drinker:

:heart: Marie
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good afternoon everyone welcome new people.. how is everyone.. we are cold and raining in new england again and for a couple of days.. yesterday i was so busy and i never did get to come on. brought my daughter allysa 18 for her drivers licsense i am happy to say she pass and while she was gone taking the test i walk around the parking lot a few times. people sitting in their cars were looking at me funny i think i should have ask some to join me they seem to be waiting themself.. then i was a t school we aply for a loan for her for collage.. she is graduating next weekend from high school
    will this pass few days the chidren and i put of a canopy and we have been going through the house and gathering up all the excercise items we have pick up over the years and we did some cleaning because yes a few were dusty we are now making a exercise room with all this stuff. our weather may get damp but we can put out a heater and take the cool feeling out and we now have a excersise room until the snow comes back.. i can not believe some of the things we have brought. i like this outside room gets me away from wanting to be sitting down.. i was doing the wii yoga today did 16 mins. my stepper says 795 thts not good i dont think.. tonight i have a senior choir banquet for allysa not sure what they are serving.. portion control i will remember.. they do do water bottles now so i don't have to worry about picking juice or soda... ok everyone have a nice afternoon love debbie and famly
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Debbie, an exercise room is a great idea. I don't own much in the way of equipment but I do have loads of DVDs. I should use them more. One thing I have noticed about my kids is that they will drink water if it is purchased and comes in bottles. What is wrong with tap water? They won't touch it.

:flowerforyou: Marie, take it slow and easy. You will back to par in no time. The first thing I was allowed to do after surgery was take walks. So that must be the way to go if you recuperating.
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI MFP'S,

VICKY, THANKS VERY MUCH:smile: ONE POUND GONE IS FINE, KEEP ON GOING:flowerforyou:

BECKY, HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE WEIGHT GOING DOWN QUICKER THE SECOND TIME AROUND.:happy:

MARIE, GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING SO WELL:flowerforyou: I LIKE HOW YOU STATE YOUR GOALS FOR THE DAY. THAT'S A GOOD THING TO DO, REINFORCES YOUR EFFORTS WHEN YOU WRITE IT DOWN :happy:

MOMOF10, THAT EXERCISE ROOM SOUNDS WONDERFUL. BEST OF LUCK TO YOUR DAUGHTER.

THEY TELL ME EVERYONE LOVES LISTS, SO HERE IS AN ABRIDGED VERSION OF OUR LADY OF WEIGHT LOSS "TEN COMMANDMENTS TO PERMANENT FAT REMOVAL.":drinker:

1. THOU SHALT HONOR AND BELIEVE IN THYSELF.:flowerforyou:
    2. THOU SHALT MOVE THY BOOTY.:blushing:
    3. THOU SHALT NEVER GO HUNGRY AGAIN. ( MINI MEALS DECREASE THE CHANCE OF A RAVENOUS HUNGER SETTING IN AND TAKING OVER, CAUSING YOU TO ACT IN A REPREHENSIBLE HOGGISH MANNER.):laugh:
    4. THOU SHALT STOCK THY FRIDGE WITH THE RIGHT STUFF.
    5. THOU SHALT HONESTLY WRITE IT DOWN. :explode:
    6. THOU SHALT WEIGH AND MEASURE, THYSELF AND THY FOOD.:grumble:
    7. THOU SHALT DRINK ENOUGH "HOLY WATER" TO FRIGHTEN NOAH AND MAP OUT ALL THE RESTROOMS IN THY VILLAGE.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    8. THOU SHALT NOT DENY THYSELF A TREAT NOW AND THEN. :happy:
    9. THOU SHALT NOT EAT OUT OF MISERY, BOREDOM OR ANXIETY, BUT SHOULD THOU INDULGE, THOU SHALT FORGIVE THYSELF.:heart: ALL IS FORGIVEN, MOVE ON.
    10. THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S PLATE. :angry:

HAVE A WONDERFUL EVENING GIRLS, TALK TO YOU IN THE MORNING.

:heart: ANNE