50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Anne...I went ahead and checked out your profile. I didn't do that earlier because I figured I would just ask you if you are in Florida.:flowerforyou: My daughter-in-law has been complaining about getting too much rain lately. She is hoping for some drier weather for the graduation.

Vicki...I checked your profile while I was at it. You really look like a teacher. You have a kind, loving face. I can just see you working with little ones.

I am eating horrible this morning due to my husband's great culinary skills. He made his famous Strawberry-stuffed French Toast. The worse of it was the white bread that he used. I NEVER eat white bread-yuck. But this tasted so good. Almost 450 calories.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Good Morning from foggy cold north coastal California

Jake is meditating so I try to be quiet and the computer is the best place to be quiet. The dogs have been walked and they are quiet.

The event last night was great. My friend had been in a radio play and she had invited me to join her and her cast mates to hear the airing of the play. They hadn't heard it with the editing and sound effects so it was a huge adventure for them as well as for me. As it turned out, there was something I could eat (sliced apples) and there was so much food that I didn't bother to add the crackers and hummus I brought. the reason I mentioned that my friend suggested I bring something I could eat, was that it pleased me that she recognized my new way of approaching food and honored it by acknowledging that her friends might not serve something i would eat.

I have a comment about scales. I got on mine this morning and it said that I weighed more than I did yesterday morning. I took off my nightclothes and the weight didn't change. Then I put on my underwear and got on the scale again and it went down a pound. This was entertainment today :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and evidence of why I only take the numbers seriously once a week.

The other thing I've noticed is that when I feel good my legs look really thin and when I'm uncomfortable or upset, the same legs look fat. Both my scale and my brain are untrustworthy. So I have to just keep on doing what I'm doing and not be put off by what appears to be physical evidence. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The buzzer buzzed, meditation is over, and now I can heat water for tea.

Have a great day
    love and hugs :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: hello i am sending everyone this sunshining smiley it sounds like we are allmost all having clouds and rain coming off and on... so i give sunshine to all.
    will today is my new year .. i have woke up feeling very positive and this is so different for me and i have to share this yea i am a mom of 10 children 10g-15b-16b-18g-23b-28g-32g-34g-36b-38b- and with them i have 29 grandchildren. this is my third marriage.. mark is the step dad to nine .. we are going on our 10th anv this oct and it will be the first time we do not have children with us.when we go away for a weekend i have planed.. something new i am doing we need this.. anyway.. most of my live its been me and children and than this wonderful man came in my life 14 years ago.. so i have not had much me time.. and the few friends i talk with we don't spend much time. so i have started giving me me time like a time out [ wow i like that ] and finding this site and meeting all you is really a blessing and it is hard coming on because i know i could be doing something . but i want to do this this is for me while i my sound uplifting it has not been easy. but each day feels better and better and i know i have said this before but thank you for sharing and posting all these talk s we all get to have..
    today i turn 56 but i did my wii fit body test and that is getting better my little wii says i am 28n now that was nice so today i have been saying i turn 28.. being 56 is going to be good ok water break is over stevie my three year grandson is calling my attention.. everyone have a blessed day love debbie and family
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Debbie, your kids are closer in age than mine are. I wish mine were a little closer. Mine range in age from 40 to 15. You are so far ahead of me in grandchildren. I only have eight.
    I am glad that you are getting your needs met at this site. There are a lot of wonderful women here.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, I have tried twice to get a reply on here for you and both times it disappeared.:mad: I must be hitting buttons that I shouldn't be. Don't trust your mind or the scales.:laugh:
    We are having beautiful weather here all week. My husband just got back from taking grand daughter on a walk. He wore her out. Yippie:bigsmile: I think she is ready for a nap.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Barbie - thank you for sharing your stories about the scale And your legs - you had me cracking up:laugh: It's just amazing the ways we find to sabatouge ourselves isn't it????

Debbie - you are doing so great! I'm so glad you're here with all of us!

Swiss - WOW! quite an age span in your kids 15 to 40........i'm just blown away that i'm a little older than both of you (i think neway - 57) and have NO grandkids yet. Oh well - i started having mine late and only have the 2. It'll happen when the time is right.

This morning i had to run out and check my son's dog s-he and his g/f are down in durango for the weekend and then to check on my friend's cattle. The dogs are fine - the cattle water was running over so i'll have to go back over there later and make sure they haven't run out. I don't want their well to run dry! It's too wet here for me to be doing any outside work anyway, and there's nothing for me to do right now in the house.

I'm still eating not so great - i better get back on track soon! Anyway, i'm off to the gym now so that will help!

Have a good, safe memorial day weekend everyone - don't forget to thank a Vet! :heart: elli
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: elli...I was pregnant when I was 45 but lost that baby. I should have nine kids. And I am older than you..I turned 58 in January.:laugh:

We are having beautiful weather. No rain for the past week, finally. I am looking forward to having a great holiday.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Not doing to well with my eating today...husband has been cooking.:bigsmile:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning-
    I enjoyed reading all the posts but now I've lost track of who I wanted to respond to. Everyone sounds great and I'm happy for that. You are all lovely.

Elli, your house sounds exciting. I am so impressed that you are doing all this. Sometimes reading abut everyone's activities, exercising and good food chocies makes me feel a little inadequate. :ohwell: But, we are who we are and I'll just keep hanging in there and appreciating each of you and trying to be inspired to do a little better each day.
    I'll be thinking of your son in the military this week-end. Please thank him for me for his service. :flowerforyou: I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I worry about my kids just doing normal things like getting in a car.

Speaking of kids, I have 2 home this week-end. So, I'm a happy mom, but I didn't do so well with the calories yesterday - gave in to too much temptation. Someone in this house (dh) bought Oreos and made candied orange peel in chocolate. I wonder what awaits me today.:laugh:

Becky and Debbie, I am tired just reading about the age ranges of your kids and number of grandkids. You both still have loads of work to do. Kids do bring joy, but it is stressful when you're constantly "on". My mil had 12 kids within 21 years and I love our family get togethers, but I don't have anywhere near the energy needed for being hands-on mom for so long. I hope you were both babied on Mother's Day!!!!:flowerforyou:

Anne, as usual, thank you for your kind words. Same to you Barbie. Your trip sounds great. I love hearing about it.

I better keep moving and pay bills, do laundry, etc while everyone is sleeping. Enjoy the holiday week-end.
    Zaza
  • momof10
    Options
    :love: cheesecake :smooched: cheesecake that was my downfall yesterday thoses little cakes were so good.my steps were not to good 3000 i think i did do more though i keep hitting it and reset the steps. so yesterday i found myself sitting more than moveing.. i have always felt for as much as i do why are i not thin but now i see my job i stood still and i was sitting a lot at home. now that i am exercise and just wanting to move it is so differnet. i now drink my water much better i am at five to six 8 oz. a day before it was 20 oz that took a while but i now have it.. ok were is my water bottle. lots of grandchildren here yesterday i they share my water i got up late today
    zaza i love your ocean backrounds they are so beautiful.
    everyone have a blessed morning and a peaceful day love debbie.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Becky and Debbie - i am so in awe of both of you - and i agree with ZaZa, i SO hope you are both babied on Mother's Day! I struggle with weight loss living alone - i think it's SO much harder when you have a famiy to take care of! And both of you - don't worry too much about things like cheesecake and hubby's cooking! You deserve some treats - just hop right back on and you'll be FINE!

Thank you ZaZa - i appreciate the sentiment re my son in Iraq - i will tell him. He's humble about what he does - he always says "Mom, i'm just doing my job" but i know he appreciates it when people tell him thank you. And don't you ever think you're inadequate! We all just do what we do. And believe me - i would NOT be doing all this work on my house if it weren't for my friends/neighbors - a young couple who are helping me every step of the way. Talk about feeling inadequate! Holy Mackeral! These 2 just never stop!!!!!!

We've had rain so far all weekend - and supposed to continue through tomorrow. The weeds are going to overrun me i think! :explode: Right now i'm looking out the window and WATCHING them grow! So not much getting done this weekend. I have a few "scary" food things coming up though. 80th birthday party tonight, VFW breakfast tomorrow morning and graduation party tomorrow afternoon. MAN i'm having a tough time with these last 5 pounds. I'll just keep on plugging along. I worked out yesterday and burned 600 calories - hopefully i can do close to the same today. Don't know about tomorrow.......

Well - i'm off to check on my friend's cows - last night i ALMOST got stuck in the mud in their driveway. Think i'll take the pick up this morning!!!!!!!

Have a fabulous day everybody! :heart: elli
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Debbie, When I got my pedometer I started looking for ways to walk so I'd have more steps. When I fold laundry I carry small piles of clothes to the bedroom to put them away. I park far away from the store when I shop so I can get extra steps walking to and from the car. i go up and down all the aisles in the supermarket so I can get more steps. I read an article that said that people who wear pedometers walk more than people who don't and I believe it because with my pedometer in my pocket I am always looking for some place to walk. A friend came to pick me up in front of a store and I walked back and forth in front of the store while i waited for her. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Jake just ordered a pedometer that you can carry in your pocket. I think it's made so that it doesn't accidentally reset itself. The pedometer on my cell phone that I carry in my pocket resets itself at midnight automatically.

I love all your sharing----especially about sunshine. We have no sunshine here again today.
    hugs,:heart:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Good morning all.

:flowerforyou: Barbie do you have any suggestions on how to keep a pedometer from re-setting? I, of course, keep mine in my pocket but as I am walking I seem to be hitting a button and changing it back to zero. I have tried turning it the other direction and it still happens. It is not a cheap one either. I bought it when I received my tax refund.

:flowerforyou: elli I think that you have the hardest mothering job there is. I can't imagine having a child serving in an armed forces !!! I would be so worried. You are a strong, brave woman and I think you for raising a child who is doing so much for us.

:flowerforyou: debbie today is another day. Forget the cheesecake and move on. I am having to do this because my husband cooked for me yesterday. He isn't much into low calorie fare.

For Mother's Day I got five cards (one from my son's girlfriend) and four phone calls. I felt so blessed.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • barbiecat
    Options

Becky,
    Unfortunately I have no clue about how to keep a step counter from re-setting. The one I have now is built into my cell phone so the only way to reset it requires going through several screens and can't be done without doing it on purpose.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the one that Jake ordered. Amazon said we'd get it on Tuesday and since we won't get home until Thursday afternoon, it should be waiting for us. The literature on it says that it automatically resets at midnight but doesn't say anything about whether it can be reset accidentally. It's designed to go in your pocket so maybe the reset doesn't happen accidentally like all the other ones I had. I lost every other pedometer I had because they clipped on my belt or waistline and I'd bump them off and not realize it.

I'm headed out now to take the dogs for a doggie play date. :bigsmile:

hugs,:heart:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I haven't gotten to the YMCA yet today, but am planning to. I have eaten well. Apple raisin salad for lunch and then again for snack. I am feeling better...healthier.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So as usual I am up too late on a night when I have to work the next day, :grumble: but I am too keyed up after my experience of earlier today. I posted the following in the exercise and fitness section:

"Just have to post this tonight. Earlier today, against my better judgment, I agreed to attempt to ride a bike--something I have not done for about 10 years. I no longer have my own, but a neighbor has two. I have been putting him off due to no helmet, so what does he do, go out and BUY ANOTHER helmet!!

So, I decided to hedge my bets by putting on long pants and a long sleeved shirt, though it was about 80 degrees here today. I was fine until I tried to turn, went off the pavement into some grass and launch myself sideways off the bike in trying to get off of it without hitting the frame. I am short and even with the seat at its lowest setting, the bike is simply too tall for me. So I went flying, landing on my left side, where my head hit the pavement with enough force to knock me slightly spaced out for about 5 seconds. After checking all major body parts and not feeling anything broken, I became aware of the abrasions on my elbow and arm and left knee. They are much less than they would have been if I had been wearing shorts and a t shirt.

My biking partner came and untangled the bike from me and helped me up. I rode the mile back to my house thankful that I had ridden WITH that HELMET!! The state I used to live in, Oregon, requires all bikers to wear helmets, regardless of age. A great, life-saving idea, as far as I am concerned.

The state I now live in, Washington, doesn't have such a law. My city has a law requiring all bikers 16 and under to wear helmets, but I am appalled by the number of people who can't possibly be over 16 that I see biking with bare heads.

I rode for at least 10 years with a helmet and never was in a situation where I "needed" it. Today in a split second my whole life could have changed, but fortunately, it didn't <<<<WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!>>> It beats recovering from a head injury!!

I have decided to stick to my original plan, which was no biking until I am about 30 lbs lighter than I am now."

Also, no biking until I get a bike the right size for my height.

I am very glad to have no lasting physical reminders of my idiocy.

I have been considering changing my screen name. "Walkinfool" was one that I thought of, but maybe just plain "Fool" would be more appropriate!!:laugh:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    weaklink...I am so glad that you were not seriously injured. I have been thinking about jumping on my daughter's bike...I now have second thoughts. I also haven't ridden in about 10 years or maybe more. Don't let this one incident keep you from trying again. I wish that we lived close together I would love to have someone to bike with. Actually, I would love to have someone to do any exercising with. My husband was going to the gym with me but he injured his shoulder and had to stop. It isn't like we were doing this together as he would go to one room and I would be in another but we at least we drove to the gym together.
    I don't know what I am going to do today. Maybe clean the house again and cut the grass. I have been so bad with my foods over the weekend. I haven't even been writing them down past lunch time. That is when I get really bad.:devil:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I am doing well with my food so far today. I did a little housework and will be leaving shortly to pick up my daughter at her friend's house. I am still planning on grilling out steaks. I will do this when I return home. I hope that everyone is having a wonderful holiday.
  • momof10
    Options
    hello everyone an d a blessed holiday and thought and prays to all on this day.
    bike now thats a scary thought i hope you are all right. that has always been my biggest fear and has kept me off but for the ones i can ride that dont move.
    just a thought a few friends and i have cell phones and they have started walking and now we give each other some phone time while we walk because we would be walking alone.. so if while you are walking i would be very happy to talk with while i am walking..
    i am out running my craft / fleamarket today so i am doing a lot of moving and a lot of bending.. ok i just came in to do a few minutes housework.. we are barcue for supper you know now that i do the water things i am not that hungry so i am looking forward to my salad and watermelon later.. this is working out thank you everyone again ... blessings from debbie and family
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Debbie, I totally understand the fear of the bike. LOL. I brake bones easily. I am sure that if I had taken a spill like the one weaklink did then I would have a cast somewhere on my body. Your meal plan for today sounds great. I wish I had planned like you have.