50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :glasses: good afternoon to alll yes i can wear the sun glasses today because it has rally come out and we are up in the 70's that 30/40 was just to cool... stevie and i have been walking up and down in the driveway he has his bucket of chalk so hes drawing and i am keep on walking.. it feels so nice to be outside.. eating has been going well. my little wii mii persons today says i lost.o8 she was good to me today.. we have wii fit and the children make sure i do it everyday for the body test.. be glad when she tells me i am not obese anymore.. she does look like me i have to say .
    ok i have read were some of yous go to the gym.. i have been paying for a memeber ship and i don't use it like i truley do want to. i say i want to inside i honestly feel how much i want to and i have even gone past two weeks but than i go back to not i pay 61.00 dollars a mth and i have not been in at lest seven weeks.. ok i am going to start going two times a week starting next week. they have a wonderful gym its at the ymca i really like it when i go ok hubby just woke up so i am going to fix him lunch he is working the night shift this week.. everyone have a wonderful afternoon... love debbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the posts on mfp underscores how much we have to be grateful for. Makes me realize that my bad habits are just nonsense and that I have to kick the bad habits. There are so many serious issues and this is something I should be able to control.
    Congratulations to all of you have made such wonderful progress in this journey. You continue to inspire me.
    Zaza

Zaza-

Just catching up since last night and read your post. I just had to respond to your thought "....this is something I should be able to control......." In order to successfully change something in your life, you have to avoid the "Tyranny of the Shoulds"--When you think I SHOULD do something, it becomes a chore, just one more thing you have to deal with. IE--I should clean up my garage, or basement, or sink full of dirty dishes ( Guilty!!:laugh: ) or insert whatever you wish.

If, instead of should, we replace that word with "want to" then you are no longer doing something that it seems like someone else wants you to do, but something FOR you. Keep your "eye on the prize" as they say. Figure out your payoff. In my case, I want to keep eating right and exercising like a fiend because I want to be 100 lbs. lighter by my next birthday in April of 2010.

That "prize" is off in the distance, so I have two more immediate ones--to be 15 lbs. lighter by Memorial Day, and as of today, I have 3 to go :drinker: and to reach my goal for July, which you will see in my ticker. Even if I am off by a pound or too, so what, look at how far I have come since mid April!!:drinker:

These goals, and being able to wear all the clothes that I have that are for a smaller size than I am presently, are what keep me "wanting to" do what I need to do, rather than feeling like I "have to."

For me the secret has been taking ownership of this journey for ME--not because someone else happened to think I am too fat--I have known that fact for a long time. Owning the problem is what has empowered me. I owe my sucess to date to the good luck and fortuitous google search that sent me to MFP and all the great people on this thread and throughout the site.

Another place in life I am trying to get away from is the "Someday Isle"--you know, someday I'll clean my closet. Someday I will organize my pictures....insert whatever applies to you. but that is a subject for another day and another post.:laugh:

Happy Day everyone.:flowerforyou:

Barb

PS. I still don't "want to" clean up my sink, but I probably "should" or else I won't have any silverware for future meals. ( Hey, I didn't say I was PERFECT!!:laugh: )
  • momof10
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hello and good afternoon.. that is so true of the saying i should.. i have myself finally i hope stop saying i should or i need to do this or do that and everything felt like a chore. now i feel the i want to do this and it is so much better. yesterday i pick up a step counter and today so far i am up to4004 steps and whaat ever i end with tonight i want to add one more tomorrow until i am were i want to be.. and oh yes just having someones else story to read these post are so uplifteing..and i am glad that i keep looking.. this is the first time i have truely keep with doing something .. my daug just call and i need to go pick her up everyone have a nice afternoon love debbie
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Barb-
    I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the observations on "should" and "someday". I am so guilty of both - how did you know?!:laugh:
    So, I want to control myself and I am going to, not someday but today.:wink:
    In fact, while I haven't been active because of my back, I am actually within my calories.
    Yeah! I am getting there ...in baby steps.
    Thank you all.
    Zaza
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hello to everyone from cool coastal Northern California.

Today Jake played golf and I spent the morning with a friend who lives at the top of a hill with a view that includes 40 miles of Pacific Ocean beach. Later I went to line dance where I had the opportunity to turn down cupcakes even though someone made a comment that I was making the rest of them feel guilty.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anne----joining the gym with friends sounds like a great idea. I look forward to hearing all about it when you get started. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Becky----when we started on this trip we decided not to call it a vacation but just to say that we are taking our life on the road. Being in the motorhome makes it easier to eat the same things we would at home. When we visit friends I think they are relieved that we don’t expect them to serve us food and drink. There have been challenges, but I am determined to take off this weight.

Kathy----as long as you continue on this site it means that you still value your plans for healthy eating and exercise. This is not a race. There is no trophy for being the first at the finish line. Just keep on aiming toward the goal and you will be healthier for it no matter what the scale says.

Sage---Welcome!! You have come to the right place. I hope we’ll hear from you regularly. There is a lot of help and encouragement here.

Vicki----congratulations on your weight loss. You are doing great.

Heather---I hope your weather turned out good. You’ve had a long winter up there. I’ll be thinking positive thoughts for your BIL and his wife.

Zaza----just keep showing up and don’t quit five minutes before the miracle happens. You have no way of knowing a what moment you will have that same moment of clarity with food that you had with smoking years ago. Just keep checking in with us. You can do it.

Debbie---you are so lucky to have a Wii Fit. I tried one out at my daughter’s house last week and loved it. If you can find the time do it regularly that would be almost as good as going to the gym and easier because you wouldn’t have to drive anywhere. You could do it at night in your nightgown if you wanted to. Jake just ordered a pedometer on line and he’s excited like you are about keeping track of his steps. I wish you the best with your step counting.

Barb---I loved all that you wrote about “should”. It was so good that I read it to Jake and he said that there were some very smart and inspiring people in this group.

The dogs are ready to walk again. Gotta go. Every dog walking event takes me at least 1000 steps so it's a good deal for me too.

big hugs,:heart:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I really need to get here earlier in the day. I can get lost in so many threads. It is 12:09 am my time so I am going to call it a day. I will be here tomorrow.
  • zaza54
    Options
    Good morning-
    It's another beautiful day here in the Northeast. I'm off to see the dr. about my back and my elbow - haven't lifted weights in months.
    Thanks for the words of encouragment.
    Barbie, please keep writing. I love reading the travelogue. Good for you for keeping upw/exercise and disciplined eating while taking your life on the road. You and the rest of the gang keep me going.
    Zaza
  • momof10
    Options
    good morning to all well yesterday i walk 9300 steps today i will try and do at least one more.. it ,s 7:34 am just finish making hubby breakfast then hes off to bed one more child to send off to school than i am off for a walk its another beartiful morning in new england here were is everyone from. my mii wii this morning says i was a lot early than yesterday and today she still tells me i am obese but my weight stay the same..last night was my first night i did not want to eat or eating was not on my mind i am a after six eater.. not that i am hungry its just i eat eat eat ... i don not remeber when i have felt this good. i like this . ok everyon e have a nice day. love debbie and family
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :bigsmile: Good morning everyone.

:flowerforyou: Debbie..9300 steps..that is great. Are all your kids in school or do you still have some younger ones?

:flowerforyou: Zaza..I love the view in your picture.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning you terrific women:heart:

I have been extremely busy with appointments and obligations and haven't taken a lot of time for responding on here. However I have taken the time to get in a walk everyday and do some fitness DVD's as well as lots of outside yard work. This is such a busy time here when spring finally arrives:happy:

My scale has been stuck again but I really think it is my body trying to regulate itself after being sick and everything being out of kilter. My plan is to be patient and keep working at it. Like some wise person already said on here..."slow and steady wins the race" and I am more than ever determined to win the race however long it takes me:bigsmile:

It is a beautiful warm day here today so I am taking advantage of it...lots of laundry on the outside line and cleaning out my vehicle (rearranging the dust and grime in it). I plan on getting a walk in as well as a bike ride:bigsmile: I also have to pack because my DH and I are taking an early weekend getaway. Not to worry ladies I am taking all my workout clothes. Planning ahead and staying the course has certainly assisted me in reaching my goals.

Thank you all of you that continue to support, inspire and motivate me:flowerforyou: I have never been part of a group that has been so wonderful. Whether it be trials, tribulations or achievements (my favourite one) we are all in this journey together and I am honoured to be part of your lives:heart:

Cheers and blessings to all :drinker: (don't forget to drink lots of water)

Marie:heart: `
  • zaza54
    Options
    Marie, my feelings exactly. Thank you for the reminder to drink water. One of my downfalls. Will get some right now!! Also, good job on preparing ahead for your week-end. Have fun!

Swissmiss, the views on my picture and weight loss ticker are from last Spring on the Greek island of Santorini. I felt like I needed something motivating - reminding me how much thinner I was a year ago.

Debbie, I am so impressed with how much you walked! Way to go. Keep up the great work. I think I'll try to walk a little today since my back is feeling better.

Take care everyone.
    Zaza
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I truly envy the ones of you who are home all day. I love reading the threads and posting. I also love reading how you have your days planned with wonderful things like planting gardens and hanging out laundry and taking walks. The only time I am home during the day is when I am sick.:sad:

I have a good report. I am involved in a site called CafeMom. It was through the diet group there that I found this site. They highly recommend MFP. I join in on the challenges just about every week. I have been doing this since August. Well, last week I tied with another mom for winner in the food challenge. This challenge had us eating only healthy foods and staying within our calories, etc. I feel good that I at least tied.
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's always amazing what a boost losing a pound or two gives you. When I get in a funk, but keep on eating like I should, keeping track of my calories on MFP. doing my treadmill, taking bicycle rides in the evening, doing my scrunches at bedtime (which by the way I haven't been doing the last two weeks:frown: ) it is always well worth the consistency when a few more pounds come off!!!
    I am thankful for each of you ladies and rejoice with you in your small victories and empathize with you when you mess up. It's always good to get back on track just as soon as we get off...My goal for this weekend is to keep on track and just be steady!!:happy:
  • momof10
    Options
    :glasses: what a wonderful afternoon here.. the sun is so nice and warm i was looking at my stepcounter and i touch the reset button it was on 4300 and something :ohwell: i finding myself trying not to sit down like i now see how much time i was not useing. so my counting is starting over for the day but thats ok i am just happy that i have finally caught on to that i want to move not that i have to but that i want to what a different feeling ..

Becky at home is allysa/18 shawn jr/16 joseph/15 lisa/10 and ourgrandson steven/3 my daughter in law pass away a year ago and we are helping my son john/38 raise his son.. then when there is no school other grandchildren come arouond we have 29 so far. mark and i have 10 children he is the stepdad to nine of my children
    i am on cafemom to i have meet some nice people who raise their grandchildren to

doobiedoo i am very thankful to be on this sight this is the first time i keepcoming back everday and journal my food and exercise.. i really want to do this and its the want word that is different for me

we i went out and bought me a birthday gift wii active personal trainer.. and than a friend of my was at the goodwill store there was six richard simmons tapes there of course they now belong to me.. he is so funny but he can get you going sweat to the oldies dance to the oldies stevie my grandson was having a good time with me .. ok hubby is leaving for work and the children are all coming home family time now everyone have a nice eveing love debbie and family
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: doobiedoo..you are doing so well. I am sure that you will do fine this weekend also. Do you have plans for Monday?

:flowerforyou: debbie.. you have four at home counting the grandchild? I will have four come next month when one of mine who left will be coming back. I would love to have wii. I am sure that the whole family would find it fun. I don't know if I could handle Richard Simmons but I do love the music from those times.

Even though I really messed up with lunch I am still within calories.:smile:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYBODY,

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL DAY. IF YOU DID JUST ONE THING TO INSURE THAT YOU REACH YOUR GOALS FOR MAY, CONGRATULATE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE ALL SO
    DESERVING. :flowerforyou:

BECKY, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR CAFEMOM WIN.:flowerforyou: I CAN'T DO RICHARD SIMMONS UNLESS I DO JUST ABOUT 3 FAST NUMBERS AT A TIME. I JUST LOVE HIS DVDS. HE IS SO GOOD AT LIFTING YOUR SPIRIT. FUNNY HOW YOU WORK ALL DAY AND CAN'T BE HOME ,SO YOU ENVY THOSE WHO ARE. I AM HOME ALL DAY AND ENVY THOSE AT WORK. I GUESS WHAT REALLY WOULD BE NICE IS SOME OF EACH.

VICKI, A YIPPEE SHOUT FOR YOU :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: 2.7, FANTASTIC.

HEATHER, THE GOOD THING IS THAT YOU ARE MORE AWARE OF WHAT YOU EAT. :smile: AS TIME GOES ON I AM FINDING IT EASIER. FOR EXAMPLE TODAY I ATE LUNCH WITH SOME FRIENDS. WE HAD HEALTHY CHICKEN AND SALAD (THE OTHERS DID HAVE MAC AND CHEESE WITH IT). THEN AT THE HOME OF OUR OLDEST FRIEND, 91, WE WERE TO HAVE JUST ONE DIET ICE CREAM SANDWICH, 100 CALORIES. HOWEVER, SHE MADE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES AND PUT A CANDLE ON ONE FOR ME. I ATE IT. LONG AGO, I WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL ANGRY AT MYSELF AND I WOULD HAVE EATEN ALL WRONG THE REST OF THE DAY. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN TODAY. A BIG IMPROVEMENT FOR ME. HOPE YOUR BIL WILL BE OK.

ZAZA, HAPPY 31ST ANNIVERSARY. YES, YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS. YOU WILL DO BETTER, I KNOW YOU WILL. AS FOR SAYING IT IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CONTROL, I THINK WHY WE OVER EAT IS SO COMPLEX AND PERSONAL. YOU HAVE TO TRY TO FIND OUT WHY IT IS SO HARD FOR YOU RIGHT NOW. ALSO TRY TO FIND SOME MOTIVATION (WE ALL WANT GOOD HEALTH AND TO LOOK BETTER, BUT THERE MAY BE SOMETHING MORE THAT WOULD PUSH YOU ALONG). LAST THING IS TO MAKE A PLAN, USE STRATEGY. NEXT TIME THE DONUTS COME YOUR WAY , YOU CAN BE READY. IF YOU REALLY WANT ONE YOU WILL KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT SO THAT YOU DON'T BLOW THE WHOLE DAY. YOU'LL MAKE IT. ONE STEP AT A TIME. YOU ARE SOUNDING MORE UPBEAT, GOOD. I HOPE YOUR BACK IMPROVES. :flowerforyou:

DEBBIE, 9300 STEPS, WOW, TERRIFFIC. :smile:

MARIE, ENJOY THE WEEKEND, HAVE LOTS OF FUN.:smile:

DOOBIEDOO, YOU ARE SOUNDING MUCH IMPROVED.:smile: GREAT!

GOOD NIGHT ALL.
    ANNE
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Hello Everybody, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jake is taking a nap and in a motorhome every move you make is heard everywhere so I said I’d sit still (me, sit still :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) for an hour while he slept. Before he started on the Isagenix/MFP plan in January he used to nap for several hours every afternoon for two to three hours. This nap today is the first one he’s taken in months.:bigsmile: He had a friend over for a visit earlier and I went to the Mall to give them some privacy for their visit. My plan was to walk at the Mall but when you’re walking at the Mall it’s hard to just walk and not go in the stores. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I’m glad I did go into Sear’s because I found an outfit that fits and is unlike anything I’ve ever worn
    turquoise capris and a turquoise and lime shirt. I had an interesting revelation today while shopping. I usually shop for linens or socks because trying on clothes always made me cry. Today I felt safe trying on clothes and didn’t even consider buying towels.

:flowerforyou: Debbie---it is so good to hear about your progress. You have a lot going on in your life and still you make time for healthy eating and exercise. I have Richard Simmons “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” and I love it. I remember when he was a character on “General Hospital” in the ‘80’s and I really liked him then. The workouts are so lively and upbeat and my husband likes the music so he doesn’t fuss when I do them (except in the motorhome because he says all the bouncing is bad)

:flowerforyou: Marie, glad to hear you’re feeling better and getting back to your regular activities. Thanks for the reminder about drinking water. That’s the thing I’m not doing well on. We have a water filter on the kitchen faucet but the water runs out really slowly so I think I drink less water because it’s a chore to fill the glass. My thrifty, environmentally conscious self hates buying and drinking bottled water if I can avoid it. I just now decided to stop making excuses and get up and fill a big glass with water no matter how long it took. Have a wonderful time on your weekend getaway. How great that you’ve made plans to exercise while you’re gone. You are so right about how great this group is.

:flowerforyou: Zaza---I love your picture. What a great idea to motivate yourself with a photo of your thinner self. All my photos of my thinner self were taken before digital cameras so you can imagine how long ago that was.

:flowerforyou: Becky---congratulations on your achievement on CafeMom. Rewarding “good behavior” is so important. We can’t always control how much weight we lose but we can control our behavior. Eating healthy food and staying with the right number of calories will sooner or later result in weight loss.

:flowerforyou: Doobiedoo---it sounds like you’re doing great with good eating and good exercise. Now that you’ve mentioned your scrunches, you’ll go right back to doing them.

:flowerforyou: Becky---I tried the Wii at my daughter’s house last week and it was a lot of fun. Jake said I should buy one but right now I have so many other exercise at home things that I need to use them for awhile before buying something new.

:flowerforyou: Anne---how wonderful that you have a friend who would make something special for you and how great that you could have a treat and get right back to your healthy ways without wasting a lot of energy on feeling guilty.

It’s time for me to wake “sleeping beauty” :yawn: and fix supper. It has been great “chatting “with all of you. You add so much to my life. :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

"..........:flowerforyou: Zaza---I love your picture. What a great idea to motivate yourself with a photo of your thinner self. All my photos of my thinner self were taken before digital cameras so you can imagine how long ago that was........."

:Barbie

Hi Barbie
    Too tired to do justice to a long post, but wanted to tell you if you wanted digital images of the old "skinny self" photos, there are a couple of ways to do it. If you have negatives or slides of the pics, you can take them to a photo dept in Walmart, or Walgreens, or wherever, and they can copy them onto a dvd for you. OR if all you have is the pics themselves, you can take them in and have them scanned & put on a dvd.

Just a thought, in case this was something you wished you could do.:smile:

Barb
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anne, a motivation that I have is that all my clothes are old and rather worn out. If I am going to buy more then I want them to be smaller sizes. This may not work for everyone but I don't buy clothes very often and I WANT A SMALLER SIZE !!!

I went to the store and purchased some healthy foods for myself. I feel a lot better. I have certain foods that I eat most of the time and when I run out then there isn't anything here that I want.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb---I came to MFP to learn about exercise and eating right and I've learned a lot about technology that I never expected. thanks for the information about how to turn my photos into digital images.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It's 51 degrees here and the wind is howling. What season is this???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barbie