50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :happy: good morning everyone .. we are having a nothing rain free day. so i am going to be outside a lot today.. i myself have had a lot with the depression also. it's like were do i find the time to feel this way and i know thats why i were i am today. but at last i am doing me time and i am going to get healthyer and i am meeting some wonderful new friends boy but not eating all the time is hard.today i am setting up a tag/flea market. i live in mass. and we have a town called brimfield and they have a big flea market this week. so i will be doing a lot of walking to set up and benging up and down.and running in my home to give me comp time witch i have to keep getting up and down to see if anyone is outside. my home is on a highway kinda of so i get to set up right here. so how do i count all this great excercise i will be getting.. ok everyone have a nice day love debbie:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    good Morning Ladies,
    I am also an avid fan of Biggest Loser. Go Jerry. I was glad it was Helen or mike. I try not to pick favs but Tara just rubbed me the wrong way. I am just so glad they all lost weight. That is so much more important than the money.
    I lost another 2 pounds this week. I am down 27 pounds. I love this site and this blog. Thanks ladies for your support. I really appreicate all o you. I am just finishing breakfast and am getting ready for my first walk. See you later.:happy:
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mornin',

Thanks for water and sleep info, Barb. I've read the same thing and believe, from experience that it is true. And regardless, you sure feel a lot better:happy: I tried really hard to keep drinking while I was gardening yesterday. I must have done well because I spent the whole evening peeing:blushing:

Starene, we'll be glad to hold your hand. Keep checking in and keep logging your food, no matter what you eat. I've found that's it's the best way to learn about good choices for your day. There are lots of yummy foods out there that are also good for you. Welcome!!!

Off to the library and park with one of the little ones.
    Good day, good work, good eats everyone. Diane
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Yippee sunshine and warm temperatures today! Hopefully I've shaken the gloom of the weekend. At least I didn't dream about Moma last night.

I just finished a cup of hot tea out on the patio. Now I'm putting on my sneakers, filling my water bottle :drinker: and taking the pooch on a nice loooooong walk before it gets too hot. :happy: Hopefully the things I feel hear and smell will make me forget my neck is still hurting
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :happy: good morning everyone .. we are having a nothing rain free day. so i am going to be outside a lot today.. i myself have had a lot with the depression also. it's like were do i find the time to feel this way and i know thats why i were i am today. but at last i am doing me time and i am going to get healthyer and i am meeting some wonderful new friends boy but not eating all the time is hard.today i am setting up a tag/flea market. i live in mass. and we have a town called brimfield and they have a big flea market this week. so i will be doing a lot of walking to set up and benging up and down.and running in my home to give me comp time witch i have to keep getting up and down to see if anyone is outside. my home is on a highway kinda of so i get to set up right here. so how do i count all this great excercise i will be getting.. ok everyone have a nice day love debbie:flowerforyou:

My best advice is to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor. It will give you an incentive to move. It has a strap that you put around your chest and a wrist watch so you can see your HR and calories burned. If you feel you have a hard time getting in exercise this may help. I know it helps me. It is the best investment I have ever made for my well being. Now, if I know I am going to move more then usual I turn and watch the calories burn. It will also let you know if you need to up your heart rate to burn more calories. There are different brands. Just make sure you buy one that shows you how many calories you have burned at a certain time.:bigsmile: I hope you understood. If not send me a message and I will try again. :blushing:

If that can not be an option yet. Try, to keep track of your time and what you are doing. Then log it in the exercise portion of this site. Remember it is just and estimate, on this site, and the calories can go either way. I know for me the calories given here are to high. However, others on this site find them to low.

Just keep moving and try to move more and more each day, until you feel that you can get into a regular schedule. Well, a regular schedule that might have to get adjusted every now and then. Just set a goal and try to stick with it, even if it is walking for 15 mins. a day. Just keep trying. Drink your water.

:flowerforyou: Kathy
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI ALL,

HEATHER, SO GLAD YOU KEEP GOING EVEN WITH HEALTH CHALLENGES. GREAT NEWS THAT YOU LOST 2LBS:flowerforyou: WE WON'T COUNT THE GAIN BECAUSE YOU HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT AND IT WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU.

ELLEN, WHAT WONDERFUL IDEAS FOR MOM'S DAY. HELPING OTHERS IS SUCH A JOY IN LIFE.

BARBIE, 2 MORE POUNDS:flowerforyou: I AM NOT SURPRISED AT ALL, WONDERFUL.
    ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU JUST "BELIEVE". SO TRUE.

TEENTCH, GLAD YOU FIT INTO TWO OF THE FORMALS . DARN, MEN ALWAYS WIN THE DIET CONTESTS. THEY LOSE SO MUCH FASTER THAN WE DO AND THAT IS A FACT. GOOD LUCK, MAYBE YOU WILL BE THE WOMAN WHO DOES IT.

BARB, I KNOW ALL ABOUT VET BILLS. I HAVE SPENT A SMALL FORTUNE ON MY PETS HEALTH CARE. HOPE YOUR BABIES WILL FEEL FINE REALLY SOON. ARE YOU A PROOF READER IN YOUR SPARE TIME? :happy: I WAS THINKING, MAYBE THOSE WHO SLEPT MORE JUST WERE NOT AWAKE LONG ENOUGH TO EAT MORE FOOD.:laugh:

ZAZA, VERY NICE UPBEAT POST. LIFE IS GOOD TO YOU RIGHT NOW AND YOU KNOW HOW TO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. GREAT!:smile:

ELLI, I LOVE THE PART OF THE REMODELING WHERE YOU GET TO PICK COLORS. GOOD LUCK WITH THE INSPECTION.

VICKIM, 24LBS IS FANTASTIC:flowerforyou: THIS IS A REALLY NICE GROUP OF GIRLS. YOU CAN FIT RIGHT IN AND THEY MAKE YOU FEEL AT HOME. :heart:

MARIE, GREAT THAT YOU ARE SO MOTIVATED AND GETTING RID OF THE CLOTHES IS A FINE IDEA.

KATHY, HAVE MISSED YOU. HOPE IT IS NOTHING SERIOUS WITH THE FAMILY. GLAD YOU ARE EATING RIGHT AND HOPE YOU CAN GET BACK TO THE GYM SOON. LOVED THAT CARTOON. BETTER GO GET THAT PURSE PRONTO. THAT WAS A CUTE STORY. WHAT GOOD ADVICE FOR DEBBIE.

NANCY, I DID NOT KNOW WHAT A GAZELLE WAS, THOUGHT IT WAS A PET.:laugh: WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU AND BARB WERE DOING WITH ONE IN THE HOUSE. THOSE VEGGIES SOUND YUMMY. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT SOME DOGS DO EAT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. MY FRIEND HAS A DOG THAT LOVES SALAD WITH SALAD DRESSING ON IT. DOES NOT BEG FOR STEAK, JUST WANTS SALAD.:tongue:

DEBBIE, YOU ARE OFF TO A GOOD START. DO STAY BUSY AND BE SURE TO EAT 3 HEALTHY MEALS AND 2 OR 3 HEALTHY SNACKS EVERY DAY. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HUNGRY, EVER. THAT MAKES YOU EAT THE WRONG THINGS. FIND FOODS THAT YOU CAN REALLY ENJOY. FOLLOW KATHY'S ADVICE ON THE EXERCISE. IT IS EXCELLENT ADVICE. GOOD LUCK.

DIANE, YES, IT IS SO FUN TO SHOP WHEN YOU LOSE WEIGHT AND ARE LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER EACH DAY. WE DESERVE IT, WHAT A MOTIVATED GROUP.:love:

STARENE, WELCOME, WISH YOU THE BEST RESULTS. THIS IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO FIND
    SUPPORT.

SUSAN, SO SORRY YOU HAVE SO MUCH PAIN. GET WELL SOON:flowerforyou: I OFTEN WONDER HOW THE PEOPLE ON BIGGEST LOSER, DON'T GET A HEART ATTACK. EVEN WITH A DOCTOR THERE, THEY PUSH THEM SO HARD. GLAD TO KNOW THE SUN IS SHINING, YOU SOUND BETTER ALREADY.

I LOST ANOTHER POUND AND THAT MAKES MY TOTAL 8 SINCE I JOINED THIS GROUP AND 6 SINCE I JOINED WEIGHT WATCHERS. :happy: BEGINNING OF JUNE I WILL GIVE PLANET FITNESS A TRY. I AM A LITTLE SCARED, BUT WILL DO IT. I CAN START SLOW AND WHO KNOWS. I TRIED TO INCREASE MY WALKING , BUT THE NEXT DAY I COULDN'T WALK AT ALL. MY RIGHT KNEE KEPT COLLAPSING. I HAVE SOME SORT OF MUSCLE AND COORDINATION PROBLEM IN THAT KNEE. I DON'T WANT SURGERY, SOOOOO.

HAVE A GREAT DAY GIRLS.:flowerforyou:

ANNE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

We had a gazelle and it turned into a rack for wet coats during the winter:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so we gave it away and bought an exercise bike. Now we each ride the bike for 20-60 minutes a day.:bigsmile:

I don't have a HRM but I have a pedometer that counts steps and calories burned. Even if it's not accurate with the calories I can still compare one day with another and know if I'm doing better. At home I was averaging 14,000 + steps a day. Since we've been on the road I have barely been able to make 10,000 and yesterday I didn't even get to 8,000.

And not to make light of depression, but the best advice I ever got on the subject was, "You can't get over depression by lying on the couch".:bigsmile:

My step daughter who had her first baby in October has been going to Weight Watchers and Is back to wearing her pre-pregnancy pants.:bigsmile:

We're off to the organic food store to fill up the fridge.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thank you all for being there.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Got to the gym today. Burned 550 extra calories and wish I could live there. :bigsmile: Exercise has to be my best weapon for depression. :ohwell:

:heart: Kathy
  • Cindy41
    Cindy41 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding this group. Can someone tell me how to access this more easily. There seems to be more than one 50+ group. I'm frustrated.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

A great big welcome to the newest and returning members. We are glad to have you join/rejoin us:flowerforyou:

I had a super day yesterday. The weather was great and I enjoyed every moment of the beautiful sunshine. Went for a long walk, raked the lawns and worked on my flower gardens:bigsmile: :bigsmile: It felt so great to get back into my exercise routine:happy: According to my HR monitor I burned an extra 850 calories yesterday:blushing:

Today I had a busy day in the city but I managed to get in a 75 minute walk when I returned home. I met up with some people I hadn't seen for awhile and they complimented me on how "much weight I had lost and how great" I looked. Sure made my day.

I sure agree about getting enough sleep and drinking enough water. Just reinforces what we already know. Thanks to all of you that have sent me get well wishes and for all the great support and motivation I have received here. You ladies are the very best:smile:

Cheers and warm wishes to all. Remember how good it feels when we do something good for ourselves. Hope each and everyone of you are making yourself a priority:flowerforyou:

Marie:heart::heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding this group. Can someone tell me how to access this more easily. There seems to be more than one 50+ group. I'm frustrated.

A new thread is created each month. You may have found the APRIL thread when you were looking for the current MAY thread. When you look at the options across the top of the Community tab you will find "My topics" When you click on it, you will find the last 25 threads you have posted on, so you can easily locate this group, since you posted on it by asking your queston.

Another way you can keep track of threads you want to find again is to save them as a favorite in your browser, The address of this page, if you look at the address bar on your browser, is

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/51451-50-women-for-the-month-of-may?page=10#posts-593869

If you save this, or any other page, and access it later, you will be able to move forward or back using the numbers that appear at the bottom and top of each page. Don't let the fact that a number may appear at the very end of the page address and seems to change. I believe it changes each time a post is added, and of course the page number changes when we move to another page.

Hope this helps.:smile: Welcome!!:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning-
    Turns out I'm not substitute teaching today. That's good since I need to get organized with my son who's home from college to make appointments, find a home for his stuff that is all over the place, etc.

This is such a prolific group that I don't always have time to catch up on the all the posts. I did want to say thanks to Barb for the info on water and sleep. I will try to get more of both! I just can't make myself sleep any later in the morning (maybe because I nap in front of the tv at night?:laugh: )

Also, congrats to Marie on getting rid of clothes that are too big.:flowerforyou:
    Wish I had that problem. I am just out of control. I feel compelled to satsify cravings. It's amazing I haven't gained more. And I know I'm not making healthy choices, but I eat junk anyway because it tastes good and I just want it and I make all kinds of allowances/excuses. Before bed, I was debating with myself whether or not I would just run into town for coffee and doughnuts this morning. Fortunately, I'm so lazy that I can't be bothered, tho I am tempted.:mad:

Enough of the negativity, Kathy you do always have an amusing story or cartoon. Thanks! It sounds like you will have to get your mom a new purse - funny story!:laugh:

Before I sign off, Susan I do hope your neck is feeling better. That pain is awful and it is so frustrating to be limited in your activity. Have you tried a foam cervical collar ?(I got one from the drug store once) It does take some pressure off the neck. Before I forget, congrats to you about fitting into your smaller jeans! Way to go.:drinker:

Lastly, nice to hear from you Barbie. Hope you're having a great trip. Keep us posted.
    Zaza
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Busy day today packing for a weekend trip to see a girlfriend graduate from college. She got her kids in high school then went back for a teaching degree. This past year everything that could go wrong did ~ including her husband having a heart attack. There are 3 of us flying in from out of state to surprise her. Her family knows we're coming, but she doesn't! It will be my first trip to Illinois.

I was pain free for most of yesterday afternoon and evening, but my neck still hurts off and on so I'm packing the ol' hot pad and just planning ot take Alieve for the duration. I'm just hoping flying doesn't aggravate the overall problem since the pain comes and goes now instead of being constant.

She's on a doctor supervised diet so hopefully eating right won't be a problem while I am away. Extended bouts of laughter is supposed to burn calories so maybe I'll come home thinner! :laugh:

Today was weigh and measure day for me. Nothing has budged since this time last week. But I'm not surprised since I've been so sedentary with this neck thing.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning

Sue - that sounds like a blast Have a wonderful weekend.

Things are moving along for me. I am going really light on the exercise due to pain but I am trying to walk a bit each day until I feel up to more. This weekend will be a busy one. Friday we have a bon fire party with a bunch of friends - I can't wait. Saturday is my BIL 65th bday party so all the family will be there. I will try my best to make good food choices. Both events are pot luck so I'll be making something healthy - well actually I'm bringing greek pasta salad to my sisters' so I've been looking for a recipe thats calorie friendly. So far I've come up with using ff or light feta cheese, light olive oil and whole wheat penne. This is a long weekend in Canada so no work on Monday. I just love having a day off with pay:happy:

Today I will:
    Walk 40 minutes
    make healthy food choices
    drink my water

Have a good day all

Heather
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would like to join this group! I turned 54 last March, and have been working with a trainer to get fitter. So far, it's going well, (i.e. I have survived the training sessions) and I've lost around 20lbs and lots of inches.

My goals for May (since we are almost half-way through) are to lose two more lbs, and increase my time on the stair machine to 15 minutes (currently at 12, and it's HARD!) and my resistance setting on the AMT to 4.

Will be reading through these threads...seems like there are lots of great people here!
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :glasses: i'm bocking out the rain here in new england so i will keep busy .. have had a good week so for and i am not out side so i sm finding lots of inside exercise to do i am happy the warm weather is back i was not doing anything all winter and this past month i have learn what it means that we have to move.. thank you again for sharing all your storys and motivation.. i believe this time i will keep it going i am working this evening so i am cooking supper now for my family and just keep it warm for them.. i do pca hha .. hope everyone has had a nice day love debbie
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,

BIRTHDAY CAKE, FUDGE ICING, VANILLA CAKE, CANNOLI FILLING, PINK BUTTER CREAM FLOWERS ON TOP.:tongue: I FOUND THE ORDER IN THE KITCHEN DRAW. I AM ALREADY DREADING IT AND LOVING IT AT THE SAME TIME. THEY TELL US AT WW TO THINK POSITIVE AND THAT WE DON'T NEED TO EAT THE BIRTHDAY CAKE AT EVERY PARTY. SO FAR I HAVE NEVER SAID NO TO BIRTHDAY CAKE.
    OTHER CAKES, I CAN DEAL WITH IT, BIRTHDAY CAKE, HAVE TO HAVE A PIECE. THIS IS MY SPECIAL BIRTHDAY, 65 AND I KNOW I WON'T SAY NO TO THE CAKE. SO, I GUESS I WILL HAVE MY ONE SLICE AND THEN GET BACK TO THE REAL WORLD. THIS WILL BE MAY 25TH, I HAVE TIME. MAIN THING IS TO GET ANY LEFT OVER SLICES OUT OF MY HOUSE. :explode: I REMEMBER AWHILE BACK,I READ THAT SOMEONE HAD DECLINED WHEN ASKED TO HAVE BIRTHDAY CAKE AND I THINK SOMEONE ELSE WROTE AND SAID THEY TOO HAVE DONE THAT. THEY ARE MY IDLES. :flowerforyou:

ANNE
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday early, in case I forget. Mine is the 26th. I will be 54. I already told my daughter I want a brownie cake from a local bakery. I plan to eat one small piece and that is all. If I have to I will throw the rest away. I have not cheated once since February and I know I can do this. Have a great birthday and enjoy your cake.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,

BIRTHDAY CAKE, FUDGE ICING, VANILLA CAKE, CANNOLI FILLING, PINK BUTTER CREAM FLOWERS ON TOP.:tongue: I FOUND THE ORDER IN THE KITCHEN DRAW. I AM ALREADY DREADING IT AND LOVING IT AT THE SAME TIME. THEY TELL US AT WW TO THINK POSITIVE AND THAT WE DON'T NEED TO EAT THE BIRTHDAY CAKE AT EVERY PARTY. SO FAR I HAVE NEVER SAID NO TO BIRTHDAY CAKE.
    OTHER CAKES, I CAN DEAL WITH IT, BIRTHDAY CAKE, HAVE TO HAVE A PIECE. THIS IS MY SPECIAL BIRTHDAY, 65 AND I KNOW I WON'T SAY NO TO THE CAKE. SO, I GUESS I WILL HAVE MY ONE SLICE AND THEN GET BACK TO THE REAL WORLD. THIS WILL BE MAY 25TH, I HAVE TIME. MAIN THING IS TO GET ANY LEFT OVER SLICES OUT OF MY HOUSE. :explode: I REMEMBER AWHILE BACK,I READ THAT SOMEONE HAD DECLINED WHEN ASKED TO HAVE BIRTHDAY CAKE AND I THINK SOMEONE ELSE WROTE AND SAID THEY TOO HAVE DONE THAT. THEY ARE MY IDLES. :flowerforyou:

ANNE

Hi Anne

First of all big hugs on your upcoming birthday:flowerforyou: Yes, indeed it is a special birthday and deserves recognition. You need to do what works for you. What I have in the past concerning desserts especially cake is to make sure that I do a big workout before and eat just a tiny little nibble of cake. This way I can have my cake and eat it too and not feel left out. We all know there are times when we eat a little more than what we thought we would so I make sure that I have a plan beforehand and not lose control. I like your plan about making sure that any leftover cake goes out the door with your guests, I have done the same thing and felt so empowered:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Cheers to you:drinker:

Marie:heart:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT DAY AND MADE GOOD CHOICES. :flowerforyou:

SUE, HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND.

HEATHER , ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND.

CARDIGIRL, WELCOME, YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB. YOU ONLY HAVE 9 POUNDS TO GO.:smile:

DEBBIE, GLAD YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD WEEK, KEEP ON GOING. YOU CAN DO IT.

VICKIM, THANKS AND A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TOO. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A GOOD PLAN FOR YOUR CAKE EATING. :smile: AT WW THEY GIVE YOU AN EXTRA 35 POINTS FOR THE WEEK AND YOU CAN USE THEM AT ONE TIME. I AM NOT SURE HOW MANY POINTS MY CAKE WILL HAVE BUT I WILL USE THEM FOR THE CAKE AND THE EATING OUT. MAYBE I CAN STAY AT THE SAME WEIGHT AND AT LEAST WON'T GAIN ANYTHING.

GOOD NIGHT AND PLEASANT DREAMS TO ALL.
    ANNE