50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Maybe one of you could give me some words of advice. Over the years I have lost as much as 25 pounds here and there, but always gain it back. I have lost 17 pounds this time and I get this satisfied feeling that, "Oh, I've lost some weight, I can go back to not being careful..." But, I do so want to get on the other side of 200, far enough away from it that I don't go there again!! It's not a 'no-care' attitude or 'I'm tired of this', maybe I don't really think I can actually get more pounds off...I am enjoying eating more healthy and knowing that the change in my eating habits are good for me, and I don't crave sweets or foods filled with fat. I just want to keep going and have these changes be life-long, not just a matter of 'being careful'. I guess I'm rambling now, but maybe one of you knows how I feel...Thanks for being there!:happy:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: doobiedoo...I do know what you are feeling and I have come to the realization that I can't eat healthy and exercise JUST to lose weight. I must make it a life long thing. I can never go back to eating whatever I want. This doesn't mean that I can't have an indulgence every so often but I can't do it on a daily basis. I know, this is depressing, but the way I was eating was quickly becoming a danger to my health and if I want to see my grandchildren grow up then I have to make the sacrifice.

:flowerforyou: barb...that is a lot of walking. Wonderful. I only get between four and five miles in while at work and that takes eight hours to do.:smile:

:flowerforyou: barbie...you can come and cook for me any day. Yum!!

:flowerforyou: fit...right now I wish I were where ever you are. I am in Ohio and we seems to be having March-like weather. I am indoors wearing a sweatshirt with a jacket.

I have not eaten anything since last night and will not be able to until this evening. Having my surgery again today.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo----I don't know if I have any advice, but I have some thoughts on the subject on maintaining a new eating lifestyle.

We adopted a style of eating that is most accurately described as "clean eating". We made the decision to make all our calories be as nutrition dense as possible and to feed our bodies only healthy food.

This has been a lifestyle change for me
    not just treatment for a condition.

when I had pneumonia I took antibiotics faithfully according to directions for 10 days---a plan that included not eating certain foods and taking the meds two hours after and two hours before eating. I could hardly wait to get off them and go back to my old ways.

When my cholesterol was diagnosed high, I began taking a prescription that I take faithfully every night at bedtime and i don't even consider skipping it. I take my meds when I travel and remember to renew the prescription way ahead of time. this is the same way I see my new eating plan.

If a person with a terminal disease found out that "clean eating" , calorie counting, and exercise would keep their disease in remission for decades, they would jump at the opportunity. That's how I look at my eating. It is the prescription for keeping obesity in remission.

People who quit smoking don't decide to have a cigarette in honor of their birthday or Mothers' Day. sober alcoholics don't have just one drink to celebrate a special event. That's how I look at my eating plan. It is my life, not just a short term solution.

I've been doing this for only 4 months so I'm not an expert, just a fanatic right now. But in April I spent some time with a woman that I had noticed bringing her own food to similar events and asked her about it. She had been abstinent on Overeaters Anonymous for 20 years and had been planning, weighing and measuring her food continuously which included bringing her own food wherever she went at mealtime. That's how I know that people can do that.

:flowerforyou: Becky
    I'll be thinking positive thoughts about your surgery today.

:flowerforyou: Anne----it sounds like you've done some good planning to deal with the food hurdles of your birthday. How wonderful that you have friends who want to celebrate your birthday with you.

:flowerforyou: Barb
    how great to have a friend to walk with. Jake walked with me around the RV park last night but going just over a mile was about as far as he could go.

:flowerforyou: I'm afraid to trust the scale in the motorhome
    we think it weighs two pounds less than the one at home, but Monday is my weigh in day so I'm going to take the chance and declare that I lost one pound this week and keep doing what I'm doing.

big hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hi everybody! sorry i've been out of touch. There's WAY too much to respond to now!:tongue:

Doobiedoo - i agree with Barbie and Swiss - it has to be a lifestyle change. I never think in terms of "dieting". It's one of the few things in our lives that we CAN control - what we put into our bodies and the amount we move around. I've done the same thing - lost and gained up to 40 pounds, probably 5 times in my lifetime. This time i've kept most of it off for over 2 years. The scale has become my best friend. I weigh every other day. I got SCARED when my weight went up 15 pounds, but now i've lost all but 4 again. I still have occasional "treats" and even times when i REALLY blow it - but you just have to get right BACK to the lifestyle that you know will keep you healthy and add years to your life!

I know it's someone's birthday next weekend - mine was last weekend so i definitely ate more than i should have........i gained 2 pounds, but i have the feeling it will be gone by wednesday. i hope so anyway! That seems to be the way it goes.

Congratulations Diane! how exciting! Where is Saipan?

Kathy - you ROCK! your after picture is gorgeous! Keep on keepin on! I'm glad you posted the new picture!

My house is killin me:tongue: now whatever was left is gone - the washer and dryer (that i was still using), the floor in the laundry room and everything but the tub, sink and toilet in the bathroom. there is SO much that WE have to do this week before the drywallers can come:yawn: I'm kind of exhausted, but don't want to complain TOO much. Life is too good!

Well - sorry i missed so many of you - i'm thinking about you all! Hi Anne, Barbie, and ALL! :heart: elli
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    DOOBIEDOO, I HOPE THE FOLLOWING HELPS EVEN IN A SMALL WAY.

IF YOU ARE NOT "TIRED OF THIS " WAY OF LIFE , DON'T HAVE A "NO CARE" ATTITUDE, YOU ARE ENJOYING EATING MORE HEALTHY , KNOW THE CHANGE IN EATING HABITS IS GOOD FOR YOU AND EVEN SAY YOU DON'T CRAVE SWEETS OR FOODS FILLED WITH FAT , THEN WHY DO YOU FEEL AS YOU DO? ALL OF THE THINGS YOU ARE SAYING SHOULD PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEE YOUR SUCCESS. PERHAPS, YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION WHEN YOU SAID, "MAYBE I DON'T THINK I CAN ACTUALLY GET MORE POUNDS OFF". ARE YOU SABOTAGING YOURSELF BY THINKING OF THE PAST FAILURES? TRY TO SEARCH DEEP INSIDE FOR THE ANSWER. I FAILED LOTS OF TIMES JUST BECAUSE I CRAVED SWEETS AND HIGH FAT FOODS. I LIVED IN A CHILDHOOD WORLD OF BELIEVING I COULD HAVE IT ALL WITHOUT ANY COST. WHEN I FINALLY BROUGHT MY THINKING INTO THE ADULT WORLD (AND I AM STILL WORKING AT IT) I STARTED TO REALLY SUCCEED. EVERYTHING YOU VALUE IN YOUR LIFE, YOUR RELATIONSHIPS, CHILDREN, CAREER, HAS TAKEN WORK, FOCUS AND ENDURANCE. WHY SHOULD IT BE ANY DIFFERENT WHEN IT COMES TO MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT. DOOBIEDOO, I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU JUST NEED TO FIND SOME ANSWERS FOR YOURSELF. ANSWERS THAT NONE OF US CAN GIVE YOU. YOU HAVE GREAT PEOPLE HERE AND WE ARE ALL GIVING YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. YOU DON'T HAVE TO REPLY TO ANY OF THE ADVICE. JUST USE IT TO HELP CLEAR THINGS UP. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO FELT FOOD WAS HER "FRIEND". AS SHE DIETED SUCCESSFULLY, SHE STARTED TO FEEL LIKE SOMEONE HAD DIED THAT WAS SO CLOSE TO HER. SHE BECAME DEPRESSED AND WHEN FINALLY SHE FIGURED OUT IT WAS HER LOSS OF A "FRIEND" THAT CAUSED HER DEPRESSION,
    SHE WAS ABLE TO MOVE ON TO GOAL AND HAS BEEN AT GOAL FOR 9 YEARS NOW. WE HAVE ALL SORTS OF REASONS AS TO WHY WE FAIL. YOU CAN FIND YOUR WAY. EVERYONE HERE IS ROOTING FOR YOU. :heart:

ANNE
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ladies, your responses made me cry! Thank you so much for sharing your hearts and minds with me (so quickly, too!) and giving me much to think about. This is truly an awesome group to be a part of!
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone and how are you all doing.burr its cold here today will be glad when tonight has come and gone.. new england do you just love the weather.. well i have had a good couple of days not bad with the eating and doing excercises its getting better every week.. there was lots of walking and bending down with the flea market .. today i was able to just do a calming walk and a little jogging and some of the wii moves.. i honestly have not move as much as i am starting.. the posting and jouranaling is a real big help also.. will hubby is getting ready for work his has a 6p.m. to 7 a,m, shift this week
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello All,

Thank you so much for the congrats on my before & after pictures. I just had to post it. I wanted to show that if one just keeps on trying they will succeed. So what if we fall of the wagon we just have to keep trying. I lost 20lbs. before I started this site but was slowly gaining it back. Thanks to finding this site, I had lost the 20lbs again and 10lbs more. This is the first time in such a long time that I am able to keep it off. Yes, it did take awhile, but, I just did not give up. I just kept logging my food good or bad and kept trying. Now, that I have put exercise into my daily life I find it much easier to keep it off.

I have been very busy lately. My brother in law owns a bar & grill with a Key West theme here in MA. My sister asked me if I could paint a underwater scene in the long hall which graces the entrance to the restrooms. I did and it came out pretty good, I had not painted in such a long time so I was apprehensive at first. But, it came out pretty good. Now, my brother in law wants a mural with a tropical theme on the outside of the building. It’s about 30 feet long x 12 feet. High. So, that is what I am working on now. I have my Dad, helping with the base colors. We are having fun together. He is so happy doing something different. When, I finish I hope to put a picture of it so you all can see.

However, getting my exercise in has been challenging. I am not on my regular schedule for the exercise but do manage to get some in.

So, that is the reason for me not responding often. I have managed to read and enjoy the post.

Congrats goes out to Diane and her new grand baby girl.

Keep up the fight and we will prevail. Going slow is better then stopping. As you see from my pictures that it will happen.

:heart: Kathy
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI GIRLS, GOOD MORNING TO ALL,

I WAS MISSING COMFORT FOODS,SO FOUND THIS RECIPE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. IT'S KIND OF A COMFORT FOOD. THOUGHT SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE IT TOO.

BROCCOLI POTATO FRITTATA 166 CALORIES PER SERVING (SO LOW YOU CAN HAVE 2 SERVINGS) MAKES 4 SERVINGS

3 CUPS FAT FREE FROZEN SHREDDED HASH BROWNS

1 TSP OLIVE OIL

1/2 MEDIUM ONION CHOPPED

2 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED

2 CUPS BROCCOLI FLORETS CUT INTO 3/4 PIECES

1/8 TSP PEPPER

EGG SUBSTITUTE = TO 4 EGGS

1/4 CUP REDUCED FAT GRATED CHEDDAR CHEESE (ABOUT 1 OZ)

1 TBS + 1 1/2 TSP GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE

2 MEDIUM ITALIAN PLUM TOMATOES (OPTIONAL)

PLACE HASH BROWNS IN A COLANDER AND RINSE WITH WARM WATER FOR 1-2 MIN, UNTIL PARTIALLY THAWED. SET ASIDE TO DRAIN. HEAT A LARGE SKILLET OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT. ADD OIL TO COAT BOTTOM OF SKILLET. COOK ONION AND GARLIC FOR 2 MIN. STIRRING OCCASIONALLY. ADD BROCCOLI AND COOK 1 MIN, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY. STIR IN RESERVED HASH BROWNS, MIXING WELL, SPRINKLE WITH PEPPER. POUR EGG SUBSTITUTE OVER ALL, SPRINKLE WITH CHEESES. REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM LOW, COOK COVERED 10 TO 12 MINUTES UNTIL EGGS ARE SET. GARNISH WITH TOMATO IF YOU LIKE.

13G PROTEIN, 3G FAT, 11 MG CHOL, 19G CARBS, 227 SODIUM, 3G FIBER 2G SUGAR
    SHOULD TAKE 15 MIN TO PREPARE AND READY IN 25 MINUTES

ELLI, HI, IF I DID NOT WISH YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY I WILL SAY BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. PLEASE DON'T LET THAT HOUSE "KILL" YOU, I WOULD MISS YOUR POSTING.:laugh:

MOM OF 10, GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL, KEEP ON GOING.:drinker:

KATHY, YOU CONTINUE TO INSPIRE EVERYONE. YOU NEVER GAVE UP AND LOOK AT THE WONDERFUL RESULTS. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR ART WORK. WHAT I WOULDN'T GIVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY DAD ONE MORE TIME. THAT IS SO GREAT.:flowerforyou:

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A FINE DAY TODAY. IT IS MY WW MEETING DAY. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I DID, GOOD OR BAD. GUESS WHAT, I DID NOT EAT ANY OF MY SON'S BIRTHDAY CAKE. HE UNDERSTOOD. I WILL JUST HAVE MY PIECE FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND THAT IS IT. ANOTHER FIRST FOR ME TO TURN DOWN CAKE. BARBIE CAUSED ME TO REALLY THINK ABOUT IT AND IT IS A GOOD CHOICE.:smile:

ANNE
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    I've been out of touch for a few days, trying to get stuff ready for my trip and a dozen other things. Anyhow, I would like to echo a couple thoughts others have mentioned.
    Barbie: I like the idea of "clean food". I'm not a healthfood nut and not everything has to be organic. But I try as much as possible to buy and eat food that is high in nutritional value. I think you're right to think of eating junk as a lethal addiction.

Do I miss my donuts and pies? You betcha:mad: :mad: Just like the alcoholic misses their drink. But I know I can't live well if I indulge in them.:ohwell: :ohwell:

Elli: Yes, don't let that house kill you!!! Take time out to appreciate the work you've done.

Off to take my 89 yr. old mother to buy bedding plants then a good lunch.
    Later,
    Diane
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anne..I didn't know that they made fat free hash browns. The recipe sounds great and I am planning on trying it. Also, good for you turning down the cake. I am not sure that I could do that. I love icing.

I did a no-no yesterday. I hadn't eaten since the night before and was so hungry that I had my husband stop at Mcdonalds and buy me a cheeseburger and fries. I still did not go over my calories because I hadn't had anything else but I know that it was not a good choice. It sure did taste good !!!
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    good morning to all my day has started good i did the 10 min free walk with the wii 924 steps when i think how much time i was just sitting around will i have to let that go i am on a new path here and its for the best and i am going to be healther ok ride is here debbie
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Off the the gym this morning. I'm having a busy day. After I'm through with School Driving I'm going to work on the mural. So happy when I have a paint brush in my hand. It's the best. Don't get to do it to often anymore. Hope this is the start of more to come.

Hope all keep up the fight.

:flowerforyou: Have to burn calories that is a must.

• elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    good morning beautiful ladies!:flowerforyou:

Debbie! Way to start the morning! It feels really good doesn't it? I love how you're making small changes - they're all going to add up to a healthier you!

Anne - you always say the best things! And thank you for the recipe, AND Happy Birthday to you as well! When IS yours? I was going to make the pumpkin cake for my birthday, but then my kids took me out to eat so i got enough calories there. PLUS i took myself to tcby which is my absolute FAVORITE!

Becky - don't beat yourself up over mickey ds! You did GREAT - you stayed within your calories and ate something that you really enjoyed because you were HUNGRY! It's totally OK!:happy:

:laugh: don't worry - i'm still alive:laugh: I did a bunch of cleaning up yesterday - worked over there from 4 'till 7 so i missed out on the gym.....today 2 friends are coming around 9:00 and i'm taking off from work so we can do more scrubbing, sanding and taping. The plumbers are in there now, and the dry wallers are coming on Thursday - SOOOOOO - we need to get all this other stuff done. Plus there are a few minor wiring changes we need to make. Good thing i have people around me who KNOW what they're doing cause I sure don't!:laugh:

I still haven't lost my 2 "found" birthday pounds. I sure hope i get rid of them before 2 long.......how is it i can gain them in 2 days and then it takes 2 WEEKS to lose 'em???????

Have a good day everybody. :drinker: drink lots of water - it's hot out there! We're having our second day in the 90s but it's supposed to go back down to 60 on thursday.

elli
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I'm home from my trip and trying to get back into my exercise routine. I've decided I'm too old to try to keep the kind of schedule those girls want to keep! We didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep per night the whole time we were there. :yawn: Good news is I stayed active. We went dancing Friday night ~ just us girls ~ and then hit the hotel gym for an hour Saturday morning. (If that treadmill is correct, I don't burn as many calories per day as the tool on MFP says. I may have to invest in a monitor of some kind...) Anyway, everyone was trying to eat healthy and stay active, so there weren't too many temptations. Sunday was travel day and yesterday I managed to get unpacked and the laundry done up.

The gal I went to see graduate is 46 and has lost 50 lbs on a doctor supervised liquid diet. She has 50 more to go to reach her goal weight of 175. I barely recognized her! He husband was very heavy and had a heart attack this past year. She decided to do whatever it takes to get healthy and hopefully NOT have something like that happen to her. I want to lose this weight, but NOT like that, if I can help it.

My neck only hurt a few times while I was gone and a single dose of Alieve fixed that. Today it is back to the masseuse. Then home to drink, drink, drink. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Happy Tuesday ya'll! :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Happy Belated Birthday, Elli

I have thought of your birthday and those sneaky pounds that captured you, but I keep forgetting to wish you happy birthday. The way you stay so active physically and mentally, you are preparing yourself for a long and happy life. You could easily be like the 100 year old woman in my friend's yoga class.:flowerforyou:
    I'll write more later
    big hugs :love:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: momof10 you are an inspiration. I have decided to begin walking early in the morning. I was sort of waiting for it to warm up. Yesterday when I got up it was in the low 40s.

:flowerforyou: Kathy are you taking or teaching driving school?

:flowerforyou: elli it sounds like you are staying active enough without the gym.:wink: I am active at work also but have found that if I miss the gym then I don't get the results I want.

:flowerforyou: Susan you have given me a great idea. The YMCA that I am a member of offers massages. I think that I would have to pay about $35 for half an hour. When I get some extra money I will make an appointment for one. I need one after all I have been through. (The problem is I am sure that my husband will not think it is necessary).
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

I was extremely busy the past couple of days and didn't find the time to check in. I managed to get a lot of outside yard work done in addition to a long overdue cleaning of the garage. The weather was none to cooperative but determination won out:laugh: With raking, weeding, planting, cleaning clutter, cutting grass and hour long walks I know that helped keep any weight from sneaking up on me:bigsmile: What a great feeling to accomplish these tasks but most importantly to have the strength and endurance to do so:bigsmile:

Hope everyone is doing well wherever/whatever you are doing:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:

P.S. Kathy I loved seeing your before and after photos:bigsmile: Great job:bigsmile:

Elli-Happy belated birthday...hope your day was a super one:bigsmile:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Susan you have given me a great idea. The YMCA that I am a member of offers massages. I think that I would have to pay about $35 for half an hour. When I get some extra money I will make an appointment for one. I need one after all I have been through. (The problem is I am sure that my husband will not think it is necessary).

My masseuse only charges $25 for half and hour. I'm learning that I'd rather do without something else to be able to afford a weekly visit to him. Today we actually got the last of that kink out of my neck! :happy: At this stage of my life I'm more interested in feeling good than anything else. Treat yourself at least once a month. It is SO worth it!
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Afternoon All,

Swiss, I drive a special needs child to school. He is a sweet heart. :bigsmile:

Got to the gym (Plant Fitness) Haven't gone for a few days.

Anne have you started Plant Fitness?

Sounds like everyone is doing great. The weather is great here today. The robin that is in my cherry tree is still sitting on her nest. I have not heard the babies yet. Can't wait.

Late this afternoon I will be working on the mural. So excited, can't wait til I'm finished. I paint in layers so it will take time. Never did anything like this before. It's a challenge.

All have a great day.