How to drink more water

Options
Hi Folks! I hope you all are doing well. I'm one of those people that absolutely HATE drinking water. The thought of drinking 8 cups of day is enough to make my stomach turn. Does anyone have this problem? How can I go about making water more palatable short of using Crystal Light or any other flavor enhancing product? I was drinking flavored seltzer water with a packet of Crystal Light and then I was told that the Crystal Light is not good for the body (all the chemicals) and that carbonated water affects bone density (over time). I can't win! What did YOU do to get to 8 cups of water a day?

Replies

• m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I for one like water but when I want a change I drink lots of green tea!
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I consume between 15-18 glasses a day. I have 3 with my morning workout (6AM-7AM). Another 3 (with a protein mix) while I am getting ready for work and duirng breakfast (7AM-9:30AM). I drink another 6 by 5:30PM and another 3 during my evening workout (6PM-7PM). I may consume 1-3 more glasses after that. I do average about 16 glasses a day.

I just get in a routine and try to have 12 glasses consumed before I leave work--I do not want to go to the bathroom all night long! I will admit on the weekends I usually have about 10-12 glasses--my schedule is not as rigorous on the weekends.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    been using MIO, add a squirt to water, makes it not too bad to down.
  • amandamickey
    Options
    Have you tried adding natural flavors to your water (like slices of cucumber, orange, lemon wedges, etc)?? That will give it subtle flavor (with no sugars, calories, or chemicals!) and it's so refreshing!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks! I hope you all are doing well. I'm one of those people that absolutely HATE drinking water. The thought of drinking 8 cups of day is enough to make my stomach turn. Does anyone have this problem? How can I go about making water more palatable short of using Crystal Light or any other flavor enhancing product? I was drinking flavored seltzer water with a packet of Crystal Light and then I was told that the Crystal Light is not good for the body (all the chemicals) and that carbonated water affects bone density (over time). I can't win! What did YOU do to get to 8 cups of water a day?
    depending on who you ask, everything is "not good for the body"... and technically water is a chemical. H2O.

1. get a water bottle.. keep it infront of you.. this alone will probably make you drink ALOT more water.... flavor it if you want.

2. never trust anyone that uses the words "chemicals" or "toxins" to describe "bad stuff" in something. If they knew what was bad about it and why, they would use the name of it. EVERYTHING is made of chemicals. You, me, water and food. Anything is toxic in the right amount. Just use some common sense, and dont be afraid to do some real research of something you like is deemed "unhealthy" by someone else.
  • sparkpeopleup
    Options
    I set an alarm on my phone to take a gulp every 15 minutes. I may not always get the water I should, but I'm getting in more than I would if I didn't do that.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with crystal light
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In the reading I've done the loss of bone density was observed mostly in younger girls and the hypothesis is that (in the case of cola consumption) the bone loss could be tied to the excess phosphorous being consumed or (with soft drinks in general) that the soda was displacing milk consumption. If you like carbonated water (not soft drinks) I'd say go for it and if you're worried about bone density - which is a very legitimate concern for women - make sure your calcium intake is adequate.

You may also be interested to note that running and strength training both help maintain bone density.
  • JoanValerieRobinson
    Options
    Tea and coffee give me a tummy ache, so I get my water by having boiled water with a dash of milk - I call it tea without the tea-bag! It works for me anyway. :)
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't use flavoured stuff either not because of the supposed "toxins" but aspertame gives me head aches and I have yet to find some type of flavoured water that I like the taste.... I also keep bottled water with me, add some lemon or lime wedges or drink herbal tea! Most herbal teas a great hot, warm or cold! Don't rule out the herbals till you've tried them! They taste nothing like bagged green tea or regular tea and alot are caffein free!!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light packets all day long. I love them and I get oodles of water down this way.
  • flythatrocket
    Options
    That is a genius idea!
  • flythatrocket
    Options
    I set an alarm on my phone to take a gulp every 15 minutes. I may not always get the water I should, but I'm getting in more than I would if I didn't do that.

That is a genius idea!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Try floating citrus slices, or cucumber slices, or strawberry slices in a pitcher of water and try drinking it that way. It adds a fair amount of flavor without adding a ton of calories. Try diluting your crystal light or mio or whatever flavored beverage in double the water, so it does not have quite such a "chemically" impact (aspartame, sucralose, saccharin, any of those can be super bad for you if taken in too large of quantities). And just keep sipping all day long. I go everywhere with a bottle of water, no matter what.
  • izzygetsbizzy
    izzygetsbizzy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I consume between 15-18 glasses a day. I have 3 with my morning workout (6AM-7AM). Another 3 (with a protein mix) while I am getting ready for work and duirng breakfast (7AM-9:30AM). I drink another 6 by 5:30PM and another 3 during my evening workout (6PM-7PM). I may consume 1-3 more glasses after that. I do average about 16 glasses a day.

I just get in a routine and try to have 12 glasses consumed before I leave work--I do not want to go to the bathroom all night long! I will admit on the weekends I usually have about 10-12 glasses--my schedule is not as rigorous on the weekends.

I hope I can get to this point! Do you ever have to remind yourself or does it come naturally at this point?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think this is definitely a habit that can be learned. I keep a Brita water bottle on my desk, the water here at work is nasty. You might want to watch the Crystal Light, too much citric acid gives me heartburn.

I love tea. But if you don't want caffiene, brew a big pot of Raspberry Zinger & add ice - yum!
  • willrunforfood
    Options
    It's a little wierd, but I do a lot better now that I have a straw. And I use a small glass so that I can keep the water cold and can get up from my desk more often to refill.
  • Amyann44
    Amyann44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It might sound funny but if I put a straw in my water bottle while sitting at my desk I will drink alot more. Not sure why but it works for me
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    MIO works well for me! I have different flavors that I keep everywhere...work, my car, my purse, home, etc. Plain water is just yuck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It might sound funny but if I put a straw in my water bottle while sitting at my desk I will drink alot more. Not sure why but it works for me
    I used to do this too! Now that I'm used to my 15 or some odd glasses a day, I no longer need it. Too slow! LOL! It was hard at first to get all the water in. But now that I'm used to it, it just goes down. Sometime without me even realizing I have drunk it at all!