what was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Actually seeing myself in my honeymoon pictures .... totally not how I FELT -->enter change
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Dating a boy who had muscles and weighed 3 pounds less than I did. Now I weigh 10 pounds less than him :D But that's with fat-___- I also dreaded shopping for jeans. Every time I went jean shopping for the past year and a half I was miserable. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed change, and yesterday I stumbled upon cute jeans I liked in a size one and they fit! I still got a ways to go but those were what pushed me the most :)
  • ChioParis
    ChioParis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was realizing I had gained 30 lbs in a year, I went from 313 to 343. I have been heavy all my life, but not this bad. AND I have an awesome job that requires me to travel to San Francisco at least once a month... free travel, free frood, free hotel... I keep pushing out the date because I don't fit in an airplane seat....

I have lost 11lbs so far, I am struggling, but I NEED to do this....
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    A) Puking 3/4 of the way through one of my favorite hikes. B) Trying on a pair of fishing waders one Spring after they were still wearable the prior fall. These two things made me sad that I was out of shape and always having to buy larger clothes. I decided that I was never going to have to buy a larger set of anything ever again unless it's because I need more room to accommodate muscle mass rather than fat. This was two years ago. So far, have only bought smaller clothes and am about to a point where I am ready to donate a lot of my larger clothes.
  • soagirl777
    soagirl777 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 yrs old and 5'3" tall. My ah momemt was when I tipped the scales at 172lbs! That's what I weighed 9 months pregnant with my first pregnancy! Yikes!!! Then I decided to join a local Biggest Loser contest. I'm happy to say in 8 wks, I have lost 23lbs! As of yesterday, I was in 2nd place for $970! 6 wks to go...if I can lost 10 more lbs, I might have a really good shot. For me, its not about the money but about getting motivated and being held accountable.:smile:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    One day my sister said, "now we are both fat" :-(. I didn't know how large I had gotten until I heard it from someone close. A few months later she started losing weight and exercising. I couldn't let her beat me and that's when I started MFP. I had been trying to lose weight for years. MFP and my friends here made a big difference. And being accountable daily, writing everything down, and exercising.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough it was seeing a Treadmill on sale on QVC. It brought to mind all the promises I'd made myself to exercise more and lose weight. I started back on my diet the day the treadmill arrived, and I've used it almost every day (took one day off for sore legs). So far so good.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Man boobs, my wife could fit in the leg of my pants, my 14 year old 217 lb son, sucking wind every time I leaned over to tie my shoes, family pictures where Jobba the Hutt was sitting with my family, BP 140/39, resting heart rate 85, my fat pants were getting tight.
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    When I could no longer squeeze into my pants that fit perfectly 3 months ago. Also, saw myself in the mirror and immediately thought "who is that chubby Mcchubkins?"
  • Raivynsblood
    Raivynsblood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    getting called "tubby tosha" by my boyfriend. definatly openned my eyes. lol

I hope he's now your EX boyfriend...

i was thinkin that myself..
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had an attack of gout which stopped me from being able to walk for 2 weeks. When I eventually got to see the doctor, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and pernicious anaemia. I was also told I was a candidate for hip replacement surgery.

I did not want to have to be medicated for the rest of my life so my lifestyle had to change.

I'm 77 pounds down now, my target weight is now in sight. I'm still diabetic, but it's under control, and have to take medication for another year before review. I'm determined not to go back to what I used to be.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading through each and every post here. I like the wide array of stories that everyone has and how all stories have something in common, a need for change and a turning point.

My need for change has been there for about 3 years. I was successful at loosing 25lbs about 5 years ago. I kept it off for a year and then slowly started gaining it back. In the last 2 years, I have tried several "Fad Diets", with only temporary results.

This last winter I started wearing stretchy pants and sweats. I couldn't fit in my jeans or any of my pants anymore. On top of that alot of my tops and coats were getting too tight in my arms to wear. My feet grew a half size and my face was looking very round in pictures. I told my husband one day that I use to dress to show my body off, now I dress to cover it up. It was a sad realization. I also would cring when he would try to touch my tummy and thats not like me. My tummy has always been in the best shape, even when other parts have not been.

So with 40lbs extra baggage, I decided to get my mom and sisters on board and here we are, truckin' through week 7 of 10, in our little competition to see who can loose the most. I've lost 20 lbs and am almost half way to my goal.

MFP has been instrumental in my journey. I spend more time on here then I probably should but, it really encourages me to be a part of a community going through the same things I am. I love the success forum. I love seeing those who have made it and how they did it. I can not wait to post my pictures there this summer!

Thanx for contributing a good thread.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    really like the variety of the responses here. Everyone's journey is different, but at the same time, there are so many overlaps! I love that this site helps contribute to other peoples' success, not just your own!
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    #1 Not being able to find ski clothes in my size..not even in the Men's section...not even in 5 other stores we went to
    #2 Being told by an insurance agent that I will be declined for health insurance because of my weight
    #3 Watching my blood sugar level rise every morning (diabetes runs in family so I do preventative testing...guess it didnt work)
    #4 Being miserable carrying al this extra weight and not being able to breathe in this higher altitude
    #5 Not being able to go hiking, skiing, snowboarding, etc.....because of my physical limitations
  • burtonkd
    burtonkd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Over the last 10 years I have gone from about 350 to around 200 pounds. I had gotten used to my new weight and over the last year had tried to convince myself that I was fine right where I was, but in my heart I knew that I needed to lose more in order to truly be healthy. On January 31, 2012 my mother, who had a long list of health problems, due in large part to her refusal to control her diet or her weight died from a massive stroke. She didn't have to die. If she had taken better care of herself she would still be with us. At that moment, the risks of being overweight suddenly became very real to me. Of course we all die eventually, but if there is anything that I can do to live a happier, healthier life so that I can be here for my family I will do it. You only live once, so why not make it the best it can be?
  • Nenabobena
    Nenabobena Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, I always said that when I was done having kids I was going to get in the best shape of my life. My youngest son was born back in April of 2010 and here I was almost 2 years later still the same.

I found a picture in pinterest that said: " Yesterday you said tomorrow" ... what a simple phrase, but it really got to me. I realized that I have been saying that day after day, year after year, so I set up my alarm clock for the next day at 5:30am and gave it the name "Yesterday you said tomorrow" and since then I've been getting up everyday at that time to hit the gym.

Three weeks in and never looking back!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was when I was told I had Type 2 Diabetes...That was 1 1/2 years ago and since then, I am down about 40 lbs...My A1C is 5.8 and I no longer have to test 4x per day, just 1-2 per WEEK...I still have a long ways to go...My goal is another 40 before my trip this summer...Good luck on your journey's, everyone..!!.. :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in december i was told i had high blood pressure. after talking to me about it, the doctor suggested i first try losing weight before she prescribed pills. i was also a bit worried about diabetes but that came back normal

also at the same time i was noticing that i couldnt walk up a flight of stairs without getting so incredibly winded that i wanted to sit down. plus once i was up those steps it took me over a minute to get my heart beat back to normal. not good

now 4 months later i've only lost 17 pounds, by my blood pressure is back to normal and i can easily walk up those steps. bit of course i'm not going to stop here. i'm still overweight and know that even though i've dodged some health bullets now, they are still circling as long as i'm overweight
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was when I realized I was almost 200lbs. And when I'm only 5'3... that's a HUGE amount. At that time, I remembered back to when I was in the 130's and thinking about how much work it would be to lose it, and realized that I had that much MORE work to do at that point...

I think I need to remind myself of this so I can get back in the saddle... I've been slacking pretty horribly lately :(
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    My son slapping my stomach and laughin at how it jiggles.

Smh...