When to send relationship request on FB?

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Not to sound totally rude, but I think you should probably have that discussion in real life before worrying about your facebook relationship status.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    You also have that whole thing where you may add him...& who knows he may accept it...but then the next 2 dates go horrible and all of a sudden two weeks later facebook knows you had a stupid lil fling that you made fb offical. :ohwell:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    No offense (truly ... I was your age not so long ago, so I get it), but this is why 22-year-olds probably shouldn't be dating grown men.

If you have to ask whether or not it's okay to call someone your boyfriend on Facebook, the answer is always NO.

x2

PPPRRRREEEAAAACCCHHHHH
  • JohnFlevarakis
    Options
    I wouldn't change your relationship status. You don't want to be a stage 5 clinger. Also, he is older and may not be into that type of younger girlishness.

Wedding crashers quote ftw!
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Dont think anyone is in any position to preach or judge anyone, just sayin-Ty
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, I dated a girl for about 8 months before we were even at the point of TALKING about calling each other bf/gf. That is longer than normal but still, 1 month to call each other in a relationship in my book is soon. On the other hand, for some people it takes a month to get married. It all depends on you both.

However, you (and please, excuse me for being blunt) sound like you want to rush into labeling the relationship. Since you're young, allow me to tell you that most guys HATE that. Let the relationship take its course. If you start feeling the relationship isnt moving forward, THEN have the talk. Donot rush into talking about "where is this relationship going?" You'll alienate the guy.

Besides this, just chill and relax. Who cares about facebook...are you planning to have a bf just to brag to your friends that you have one? Enjoy each others company and screw fb
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol, nice you met someone, but facebook doesn't legitimize a relationship
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    No offense (truly ... I was your age not so long ago, so I get it), but this is why 22-year-olds probably shouldn't be dating grown men.

If you have to ask whether or not it's okay to call someone your boyfriend on Facebook, the answer is always NO.

No offense taken! :smile: I come off as a lot more immature online than in real life, and am completely aware of that. My friends are often in their 30's, which is how I met him -- our mutual friend is around his age.

I definitely agree with your point on having to ask though. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If you feel the need to have your FB relationship status changed and to have it indicate exactly who you're in a relationship with, I would talk to the guy about it in person first. In fact I'd talk to him about where you both see the whole thing going so you know without a doubt that he's as serious as you. If you're both committed and want to go to the step where you can refer to him as "boyfriend" and not "this guy I'm dating", then I would ask him if he would be comfortable making it "FB official". If he isn't, then either leave your status as just "in a relationship" or don't change it at all.

I didn't change mine until nearly a month after my relationship with my boyfriend became official because we had his best friend (female) on both our lists and she had been trying for a good long time to snag him as hers. Only after he told her did I change it but I didn't add his account because I felt it was really no one's business who exactly it was.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure how to answer this, but I'll do my best.

First of all, my current boyfriend and I (whom I live with and have been with for almost 2 years) did not make it "facebook official" until several months into our relationship. Why so long? Well, it's facebook, and who really cares? Eventually we just did it because, well...we ARE together and we both have facebook, so why not?

IMO, you are putting a little too much thought into this. If making your relationship known with someone else on facebook is important to you, then you need to give this friendship some time to actually blossom into more than just that - a friendship.

I'm sorry - I can't say much more than that. I guess I am still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that this is even a legitimate question.

Either way, I wish you the best.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    You also have that whole thing where you may add him...& who knows he may accept it...but then the next 2 dates go horrible and all of a sudden two weeks later facebook knows you had a stupid lil fling that you made fb offical. :ohwell:

Really great point! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

x2

This makes me so glad that I'm not on Facebook anymore.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Never. Why does your status on FB matter anyway? This is why I deactivated. People hold that ridiculous site in much too high regard.

Word

No kidding.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You should never declare someone to be your boyfriend or "in a relationship" with them until you have had a talk in which you decide you are going to become exclusive....on facebook, in real life or otherwise.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Not to sound totally rude, but I think you should probably have that discussion in real life before worrying about your facebook relationship status.

Amen.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Are we talking "friend request" or adding him to your relationship status?

For a simple friend request I would add him when ever you want. For adding him to your relationship status I would wait until you both have discussed that you are exclusive and it looks like things are headed in the right direction. People still talk about things right?1

THIS^^^^^^ I can't be sure by the way you posted the original question, if you are asking about a simple friend request, or changing your status to "in a relationship"... But I completely agree with everything stated above me! :)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Does facebook REALLY matter that much??
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    If you feel the need to have your FB relationship status changed and to have it indicate exactly who you're in a relationship with, I would talk to the guy about it in person first. In fact I'd talk to him about where you both see the whole thing going so you know without a doubt that he's as serious as you. If you're both committed and want to go to the step where you can refer to him as "boyfriend" and not "this guy I'm dating", then I would ask him if he would be comfortable making it "FB official". If he isn't, then either leave your status as just "in a relationship" or don't change it at all.

I didn't change mine until nearly a month after my relationship with my boyfriend became official because we had his best friend (female) on both our lists and she had been trying for a good long time to snag him as hers. Only after he told her did I change it but I didn't add his account because I felt it was really no one's business who exactly it was.

Thank you! I really appreciate your reasoning and great explanation. Very well put, especially without the need to insult me like a couple people. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I'm in my 30's I just want to know how to get a 22 year old... lol
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    If you're asking the internet you're not ready.
This discussion has been closed.