Appropriate apparel?

Options
Okay, the thread about what people would ban brought up something I guess I should ask. Some people were complaining about spandex and people wearing tights/leggings as pants, and I think I'm an offender. I need some feedback here, please.

I bought some Under Armor running leggings (calf-length) and have been wearing them with longer shirts. I am definitely an XL kind of gal, and I'm thinking after reading the thread about banning stuff that maybe this isn't appropriate. Do I look lovely in them? No. Are they the most comfortable thing I've ever wore while working out? Yes. I'm fat, and the sad fact is that yoga-style pants and stuff ride up and I'm constantly having to reach down and pry them back down while walking/jogging/using the elliptical. TMI, I know, but there IS a reason I would like to wear those nice comfy leggings.

I need your help here deciding if wearing these things is appropriate. When I look at the UA web site, it shows them being worn sans shorts, just with a top. Granted, the people wearing them are actually FIT, not obese/overweight, but hey...

So let me know: am I one of "them", annoying the crap out of you and clogging up your view while working out? I don't want to be...I just want to do my thing, but I want to do it comfortably.

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think you should wear what is comfortable. People don't HAVE to stare at your. Be comfortable! Anything that makes you more positive about going to the gym!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine. I don't really pay attention to what anyone else is wearing. I do notice when someone looks really good in whatever they are wearing, but very seldom ever notice anyone that I would think looks bad. Probably because I know I have curves and I am in no position to judge anyone else.
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    Comfortable and serviceable! The two words to live by when working out. Wearing stuff that shifts, rides up or needs readjusting is to distracting!!!! When I'm jumping or doing some crazy exercise I don't want to worry if something will fall, roll or shift. As long as nothing falls out, you're good to go.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Unless you're wearing spandex that doesn't cover anything, yes, wear them. It's too hard in loose fitting pants! Shirts, sure, loose is OK, but the pants are annoying for all the reasons you listed.
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thought I had quoted one of the others...wear what makes you comfortable and willing to exercise.
  • lollypops09
    lollypops09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with both. Wear what you are comfortable in and feel good in. I do the same thing and I need to lose 50 pounds and weigh 216, I was 234. The people that matter are supportive of you being there and joining in. This is your journey. I only have one rule in my own clothes, it's kinda funny....Just say no to crack...no boobs, no belly, no butts :o) But then again I'm in HR hahaha.
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but as long as there are no bits hanging out (belly rolls, boobs etc) or I see more than I would ever want to see on someone either fit or fat (camel toe, see through leggings with underwear on display) I think anything goes.

If you wear leggings that are opaque, with a long shirt that covers your girly bits, I would say that in my eyes at least you are not looking inappropriate in the slightest.

If someone has time enough to be bothered over what you are wearing they aren't working out hard enough.
    Go with your gut feeling, and remember that you can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have a really good friend that I met at the gym 10 year ago. I was super fit running all the time and lifting weights. She was short like me and weighted about 130 lbs more than I. I always covered up my body, Big tees, long pants, shorts in the summer. But you never saw boobs or belly out of me. Her, this woman wore lycra tight pants, bra tops you name it. One day I asked her why she wore such tight clothes and how she was comfortable in them. I was just so shy and the opposite. She said to me, I weigh 250 lbs with a big tee shirt on or with out it. I'm comfortable working out in this and it doesn't feel constricting in anyway. I"m fat and no XL tee shirt is going to hide that fact, i might as well be comfy and cool while working out. I'm here to feel good not worry that my lycra is too tight! Amen to her. To each their own.

Having said that, I prefer modesty... it's just me. But not my friend Debbie... bless her for being her!

Be you and don't worry about the rest.
  • plg27
    plg27 Posts: 1
    Options
    i think you should whatever the hell you want!!! i love working out in spandex; it is so comfortable. when i wear sweat pants the more i sweat the more they weigh and the more i'm pulling them up. the most important thing for everyone to remember is that you are taking care of yourself. kudos for you!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have to look at all sorts of ugly people (regardless of size) so my say is do what works for you.

OTOH, I am in pretty good shape but have a very portruding rear. So portruding, in fact, that my NB workout leggings, which were supposed to be opaque (and looked opaque from the front) were so stretched out in behind that they were slightly see-through. How did I discover this after years of wear? When my son asked how come I could show off my underwear but he couldn't.

Moral of the story: Wear what works for you, but check it in a 3-way mirror first.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have to look at all sorts of ugly people (regardless of size) so my say is do what works for you.

OTOH, I am in pretty good shape but have a very portruding rear. So portruding, in fact, that my NB workout leggings, which were supposed to be opaque (and looked opaque from the front) were so stretched out in behind that they were slightly see-through. How did I discover this after years of wear? When my son asked how come I could show off my underwear but he couldn't.

Moral of the story: Wear what works for you, but check it in a 3-way mirror first.

I'm sorry...but I'm laughing at your story!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, that kind of thing is fine to exercise in. Its the people who do their weekly grocery shop in it that I find strange.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I wear under armour leggings too - they are thick-ish spandex so you can't see through them, unlike tights or some leggings - they are my favourite thing to work out in.

I was running behind a girl yesterday morning wearing black tights who clearly didn't realise that from behind you could see her hot pink underwear VERY clearly!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Wear whatever works for you. Everbody's got something they can complain about.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    When you're working out, I don't care WHAT you are wearing. The people that wear the type of outfit you described just out and about like to the grocery store or out to lunch, that bothers me a little, haha :-P
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I think that anything you are comfortable in is just fine! They certainly do not have to look if they don't want to! You are at the gym for you, not for them, so try to get them out of your head...easier said than done I know. Proudly wear that spandex girly! :)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but as long as there are no bits hanging out (belly rolls, boobs etc) or I see more than I would ever want to see on someone either fit or fat (camel toe, see through leggings with underwear on display) I think anything goes.

If you wear leggings that are opaque, with a long shirt that covers your girly bits, I would say that in my eyes at least you are not looking inappropriate in the slightest.

If someone has time enough to be bothered over what you are wearing they aren't working out hard enough.
    Go with your gut feeling, and remember that you can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself.

^^ this
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would wear whatever you are comfortable in, both physically & mentally. :smile: :smile: :smile: There's nothing worse that can ruin a workout than ill-fitting clothes that ride up, pinch or just annoy the heck out of you. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Keep up the great work! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options

Oh, my gosh. Something I never thought of, seriously! I'm going to check it out (I have shelf-booty) before I wear those things to the gym again. I think I'm okay, as my 7yo would DEFINITELY mention that kind of fashion faux pas, but I won't be able to step foot in public again without checking to be absolutely sure!

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm going to continue wearing those comfy leggings (and they are nice thick ones that I don't *think* are see-through). Hopefully in a few months I'll actually look slightly better in them, too!

And confession time - I sometimes do a late-night grocery run wearing said outfit (the gym closes at 10pm, and the grocery store is always nice and quiet then). I think I'm going to start bringing some sweats/cover-ups to wear over the tights. Thankfully I don't do WalMart, so I won't end up on PeopleofWalMart.com. :laugh:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you want. If all the comments from the other post about what to ban at the gym were followed, nobody would be at the gym.