Appropriate apparel?

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you are unsure, throw some running shorts over them. But really wear whatever you want. You are there to burn calories not impress people.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a workout not a fashion show and, as far as I'm concerned, you wear what is comfortable and appropriate for the task at hand.

In cooler weather I've started wearing running tights when I head out to pound the pavement, I don't like running wearing track pants that are flapping all around, and I'm am not exactly petite. I suspect my attitude is one of the benefits of age - I've reached a point in my life that I just don't give a $**t about what other people think (my 14 year old daughter is always telling how much I embarrass her, especially when I go for a run while she has soccer practice - like I'll be doing this evening :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    If you are unsure, throw some running shorts over them. But really wear whatever you want. You are there to burn calories not impress people.
    If I had running shorts, I think I would - but no shorts. I will have to buy some at some point (probably when the weather warrants), but right now I've invested in:
    a HRM (so I know I'm not eating away my deficit)
    new running shoes (old ones had holes in the lining on the heel)
    sports bras (HAD to be done! DD+ here)
    a few shirts that aren't cotton (did cotton t's for the first three weeks...can we say ick?!)
    a couple pairs of bottoms (one yoga style, one legging)
    a few headbands so the sweat doesn't drip in my eyes

Seriously, I can't spend anything more for the time being. I love myself and I am worth it and all, but there is a limit to what this gal can spend in a month or two on workout gear. I keep thinking of getting another pair of leggings, but I'm going to save my money and wait for warmer weather and see what seems appropriate.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    <--- I like spandex. It makes me feel pretty spectacular.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I have to get the plank out of my own eye before I can point out the splinter in someone elses :-)

I agree with this part of what you said.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...but I'm laughing at your story!

no worries... I put it out there to lighten the mood (and prevent more such mistakes)
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When people make fun of what you are wearing or anything else for that matter , it is their own insecurities that are coming out. Don't let them suck you in. Smart, secure people don't make fun of people. Pay them no mind and remember it is your time. your workout and I say do what you think is best for you and wear what will make your workout the best. Nothing is worse then putting in the time and effort and not getting the best workout just because the clothes are getting in your way!

^^That's the truth right there!! Don't even give these goof ball's who haven't mentally graduated from jr high the time of day...:flowerforyou:
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I rock the running leggings outside. The top I wear comes down to just below my waist but doesn't fully cover my *kitten*. Got the panty-lines and bumps in full effect. Yeah, I said it. Showing the panty-lines and cellulite like a boss. On my neighborhood jaunt, I heard some heaving and saw young mothers shield the eyes of their young kids. The pain and torment I inflict on their vision is my encouragement.

Don't even ask me about horizontal stripes.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    OP - check your local thrift store! There is a LOT of really nice fitness gear to be found there on the cheap.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think that even the very "fit" people ought not be wearing leggings without shorts or a longer shirt over them. The thing is that whoever is wearing them may as well be naked because absolutely nothing is left up to the imagination. Men are visually stimulated and seeing a naked rear end whether it be blue, purple, pink, black or green is irrelevant. My husband quit the gym we were at because of the poor choices women made in their workout attire. He would get so frustrated! I guess I am pretty lucky there......I even struggle with the ones that wear leggings and a sport bra.....I mean, really??? I feel tempted to go put a dollar in their strap!! LOL But, I also have to realize that they are obviously comfortable in what THEY are wearing, or else they wouldn't be wearing it!! I have to get the plank out of my own eye before I can point out the splinter in someone elses :-)

I admire a woman who is concerned about whether or not what she is wearing is appropriate; I go through it everyday too, so kuddos to you!! I love leggings, because they ARE so comfy and don't go up my crack when I am walking. They also keep my shorts from going up my crack or riding up my thighs and they are great for blocking chilly wind. It's important to be comfortable when working out, but I also try to be mindful of all the men I know (or don't know) that I may come in contact with.

for the record, ladies and gentlemen, the above posting is what is known as "perpetuation of rape culture". wherein what a person is wearing not only allows you to judge them and their sexual proclivities, but ALSO makes it "ok" if they get sexually assulted. after all, if they didn't forget their burka in the morning, then men wouldn't get ideas and be lead to mindlessly assult them. poor boys, all of those masculine urges.

this is NOT ok. if you're not comfortable without shorts on, then that's fine - hey i'm not either. but it is NOT OK to judge someone's sexuality or to insinuate that someone is "asking for it" or is a stripper b/c she's dressed how she feels comfortable. you're insulting women's freedom of choice AND you're insulting MEN'S basic HUMANITY with this kind of thought. and that IS. NOT. OK.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think that even the very "fit" people ought not be wearing leggings without shorts or a longer shirt over them. The thing is that whoever is wearing them may as well be naked because absolutely nothing is left up to the imagination. Men are visually stimulated and seeing a naked rear end whether it be blue, purple, pink, black or green is irrelevant. My husband quit the gym we were at because of the poor choices women made in their workout attire. He would get so frustrated! I guess I am pretty lucky there......I even struggle with the ones that wear leggings and a sport bra.....I mean, really??? I feel tempted to go put a dollar in their strap!! LOL But, I also have to realize that they are obviously comfortable in what THEY are wearing, or else they wouldn't be wearing it!! I have to get the plank out of my own eye before I can point out the splinter in someone elses :-)

I admire a woman who is concerned about whether or not what she is wearing is appropriate; I go through it everyday too, so kuddos to you!! I love leggings, because they ARE so comfy and don't go up my crack when I am walking. They also keep my shorts from going up my crack or riding up my thighs and they are great for blocking chilly wind. It's important to be comfortable when working out, but I also try to be mindful of all the men I know (or don't know) that I may come in contact with.

You're not honestly suggesting that men cannot control their urges around women wearing spandex at the gym, are you? And that somehow women are at fault for it? AND that women who are wearing spandex and sports bras are akin to strippers?

I cannot respond to this with kind words.

I'm just going to quote this because I don't think I can't come up with anything on my own with out getting banned.

Oh, wait, I thought of something; with the all of the women bashing and "slut" calling that is currently going on the media over the last week or so, to hear this from another woman makes me seethe with anger. That is all.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

for the record, ladies and gentlemen, the above posting is what is known as "perpetuation of rape culture". wherein what a person is wearing not only allows you to judge them and their sexual proclivities, but ALSO makes it "ok" if they get sexually assulted. after all, if they didn't forget their burka in the morning, then men wouldn't get ideas and be lead to mindlessly assult them. poor boys, all of those masculine urges.

this is NOT ok. if you're not comfortable without shorts on, then that's fine - hey i'm not either. but it is NOT OK to judge someone's sexuality or to insinuate that someone is "asking for it" or is a stripper b/c she's dressed how she feels comfortable. you're insulting women's freedom of choice AND you're insulting MEN'S basic HUMANITY with this kind of thought. and that IS. NOT. OK.

I :heart: you.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

You're not honestly suggesting that men cannot control their urges around women wearing spandex at the gym, are you? And that somehow women are at fault for it? AND that women who are wearing spandex and sports bras are akin to strippers?

I cannot respond to this with kind words.

Thank you for pointing out how ridiculous the first poster is being. Men are responsible for controling their urges regardless of what a woman is wearing. This line of thought is the "blame the victim" mentality. If a woman is raped after working out in leggings then it is NOT HER FAULT.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    ... it is NOT OK to judge someone's sexuality or to insinuate that someone is "asking for it" or is a stripper b/c she's dressed how she feels comfortable. you're insulting women's freedom of choice AND you're insulting MEN'S basic HUMANITY with this kind of thought. and that IS. NOT. OK.

Spot. the. f'. on. :drinker:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Personally, I find the whole men are 'visually stimulated' line of reason to be appalling- though I'm not sure I'll be able to articulate why. I'll give it a go though. It's insulting to women and men both. Women and men both are attracted to physical beauty. But 'stimulated'? Without any ability to control our thoughts and actions at that point? As in all we have to do is look and we suddenly we're ready to hop into bed? I don't know... that idea just irritates me and it irritates me more that women apply this 'visually stimulated' label to men as if they're somehow helpless, inferior creatures because they get these urges just by looking. It's unkind to the men and it's dishonest of the women. (I mean, come on, ladies... tell me that a beautiful body and a sexy pair of eyes doesn't make you wanna look twice).

But the other reason that this irritates me is... really... how hard is it NOT to look? If it really bothers you to see someone in spandex... don't look.

Women wander around naked in my gym locker all the time, and truth be told, that makes me a little uncomfortable. Solution? Advert my eyes... or look at their face and offer a kind smile.

I am modest. I dress modestly because I choose to be. I am not comfortable in tight fitting clothes. But in a gym? I wear lycra and it hugs my butt. But it's comfy. And I can do squats without the extra material bunching up at my hips and getting stuck between my legs and my belly. I still got a big belly :(
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm simply posting to offend a certain someone with my t-shirt.

Carry on...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

*fist bump* Preach it, sister.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wear what is comfortable while working out. If someone else doesn't like it, they can deal.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I get boners at the gym and that's even before I make it out of the locker room to do my workout.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I get boners at the gym and that's even before I make it out of the truck stop bathroom to do my workout.

Fixed that for you.