OMG! I am SHOCKED!!!!!

CaWaterBug8
CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
All you parents out there who read stories to your children - would you read stories which talk about plucking out someone's eyes,, stoning people to death, or chopping people up into little pieces?

What is your take on telling stories like this to children? If they were in stories like Cin der ella?
Would you tell them to your three year old? Your ten year old? Your twelve year old? Would you want your children reading these? What age seems appropriate?

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    The original Brother's Grimm stories are creepy as ****. That's what I used to read up at my grandparent's farm...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I go under netflix with my son and watch anything under thriller, horror, sci-fi.
    He always wants the stupid trains (thomas) and that penguin (pingu). I'd chop off someones thumbs to get in a good story about eye plucking, or glass slippers.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    wtf? what kind of children's books has that in them? lol.

id never read anything like that to my kids.
    thats what horror movies are for, once theyre plenty old enough to watch them.

i wouldnt want my kids reading this neither, but, if thats what theyre interested in by the age of 12-15, then go for it.
    I was interested in things like that around that age..i still am (:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    fairy stories were never really intended the way Disney has made them. the fae were a formidable foe to humans. the stories are dark and twisted. more of a warning than a story. fairy stories were meant to teach kids to stay close to family, stay safe. b/c if you didn't... well there would be an evil creature or a jealous creature or a demon of some origin just WAITING to gut you and wear your ribcage as a shiny hat.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    I already do. My newt's three and a half and she LOVES to hear about the gore.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Just make sure you don't let your kids read the Bible...it's full of murder, rape, incest and all that other icky stuff!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    my rib cage is shiny? oooohhhh....
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Just make sure you don't let your kids read the Bible...it's full of murder, rape, incest and all that other icky stuff!

I wondered when that would come up. I actually assumed that's what Bug was referring to, stories from the Bible. :smile:
  • maab_connor

fresh ones are. after a few hours, not so much.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member

Just about to say this. You beat me to it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    It's good for them to have a healthy level of fear in their lives. It keeps them in line :bigsmile:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    fairy stories were never really intended the way Disney has made them. the fae were a formidable foe to humans. the stories are dark and twisted. more of a warning than a story. fairy stories were meant to teach kids to stay close to family, stay safe. b/c if you didn't... well there would be an evil creature or a jealous creature or a demon of some origin just WAITING to gut you and wear your ribcage as a shiny hat.

Yup... Fairy tales were NEVER nice, Disney pretty much changed it.. look at the Brothers Grimm - a book that i have read over and over since I was about 8, its pretty dark.

Would I let my kid read them? Well being as my "kid" is of the furry variety probably not because she cannot read (that I know of). If I had kids, sure would.
  • CaWaterBug8

Thank you!! There are so many ways to look at everything that I forgot about this. :drinker:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member

Bet you could polish it though if you tried real hard.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Roald Dahl and Eva Ibbotson are both quite dark, but fabulous.

The BFG has giants that eat people, but it is probably my all-time favorite children's book.

ETA - my son and I read all of the Roald Dahl books together when he was 6 or 7.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Yes, because those of us who read the bible to our children don't take their age into consideration at all. :noway:
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    My grandparents gave me the complete, unabridged Grimm's stories when I was 7...loved those things.

My kids will never read the Bible (if I can help it.) <
    I KID!!!!!
  • CaWaterBug8

I wondered when that would come up. I actually assumed that's what Bug was referring to, stories from the Bible. :smile:

Nope, not referring to the bible. Definitely more of the Brothers Grimm type of stuff. :bigsmile:
  • maab_connor

Bet you could polish it though if you tried real hard.

bone DOES polish. so sure. or you could just add fresh gore when it dried out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    All you parents out there who read stories to your children - would you read stories which talk about plucking out someone's eyes,, stoning people to death, or chopping people up into little pieces?
    Lol, sounds like the old testament of the bible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition