OMG! I am SHOCKED!!!!!

Replies

• xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    nursery rhymes are all scary...three blind mice get their tails chopped off, the birds get baked in a pie, jack fell down a hill, humpty dumpty is broken, the cradle will fall & down will come baby, ring around the rosie...

Its all really scary when you think about it:noway:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    I watch saw with my children.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    nursery rhymes are all scary...three blind mice get their tails chopped off, the birds get baked in a pie, jack fell down a hill, humpty dumpty is broken, the cradle will fall & down will come baby, ring around the rosie...

Its all really scary when you think about it:noway:

Some believe ring around the rosie is referring to the black plague. But this could be a baseless theory as the poem itself has changed from its original. The original obviously did not refer to the black plague. But the pocket full of posies and ashes ashes version seems pretty close that days beliefs. Posies were an herb carried in the pocket which were thought to protect from the Black death. Ashes could be the decoloring of on infected's skin, or the burning of an infected home. Also a rosy rash was a begining symptom you were infected.

Either way it is interesting
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    1553140_f520.jpg

I read Hansel and Gretel and swear I turned out perfect.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    From their third grade curriculum on addition and subtraction:

I was sleeping one night when a hungry vampire sucked 3652 liters of blood from me and 1865 liters of blood from my little brother. How much blood did the hungry vampire drink that night?

Jason, John, Brad and Calvin are in a tiny dinghy in the middle of the ocean. A huge wave capsizes their dinghy. A ferocious tiger shark chases the desperate people and in 5 h 24 min has eaten all of them. How long did it take the tiger shark on average to catch each person?

When a mad sorcerer summoned a demon out of hell, he almost fainted in horror. The hideous demon had 9999 writhing tentacles sticking out of its ears and mouth. If the creature had 1111 tentacles sticking out of its left ear and 5287 tentacles sticking out of its right ear, how many tentacles were sticking out of its mouth?

I want this site URL! I love it! What a brilliant way to engage kids in math and get them interested in something that they might normally tune out.

100% agree. Obviously they are trying to incorporate things from modern pop-culture to get the mind involved more. I'm sorry, but I have no issue with kids being exposed to this, especially not kids that are 8-10 and up. They are generally old enough to know the difference between fact and fiction, and if your kid is scared by his math homework, there's more issues than just a protective parent...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    You should see the comics my daughter reads. Roman Dirge is awesome!

Sheltering kids never works anyway.
    <---- Sheltered kid. Got knocked up at 17. He's absolutely right.

Had to repost this as it may be the only time a woman has ever said I was right about something.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    1553140_f520.jpg

I read Hansel and Gretel and swear I turned out perfect.

LOL, my grandma thinks he's hot as hell!! xD

i personally like jeffrey dahmer better..his killings were far more interesting
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member

Had to repost this as it may be the only time a woman has ever said I was right about something.
    No, it will happen twice, because you are also right about it not happening again. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    The original Brother's Grimm stories are creepy as ****. That's what I used to read up at my grandparent's farm...

The Brother's Grimm had the market share on scary children's stories. But we are talking about the Victorian period.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    I totally thought this was about the Bible too at first read.
  • Psh. Why would you be shocked? You are clearly not familiar with European tales and stories...shall I bring up Der Elrkönig? (The Earl king) Good German poem....they have the English translation everywhere for those who do not actually speak German.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    I know in the original cinderella story the ugly sisters chop off bits of their feet try and fit into the glass slipper, in little red riding hood the woodcutter guts the wolf, in the little mermaid the mermaid is left broken hearted and dies but luckily instead of turning to sea foam (which is what happens when mermaids die as they don't have souls) some spirits rescue her and she becomes one and has the a few hundred years to earn her soul.....

also in one of the first incarnations of cinderella, the wicked stepmother was taken to the wedding in chains - they then heated up iron "shoes" until red hot and forced them onto her feet so that she would "dance at the wedding". it was a dark story.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member

No, it will happen twice, because you are also right about it not happening again. :)

Re-posting because this is awesome.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    My fiance grew up in a household that didn't censor what the children could read and watch. Instead they were allowed to watch horror and alien movies, and violent action movies- while discussing them. Having healthy conversations about the difference between television and reality, between right and wrong. He's grown up to be very down to earth, hardworking, strong and gentle. I'm very much for the idea that kids need supervision, parents need to talk to and guide them. (I also understand that parents cannot be with their children every waking moment, and therefore I think talking is even more important. ...Then again I don't have children and am theorizing.)
  • CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    I would not hesitate to read my children the real Grimm's brother tales. I had read them the real Little Mermaid complete with its pain and sadness. They were fine with it. They know that people die and that not everyone is nice. There is nothing wrong with that.

^^this^^

We can't shelter our children from reality, its better they learn from a book with an adult to explain consequences to them rather than on thier own when its to late to intervene.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    While other people are correct about the original Grimm tales being more gory, remember they weren't meant for children. A lot of those stories were local things they picked up that adults told one another.

Personally as a child who watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show before bed until she was 12, I can't say I'd have many reservations about the content of a story, written or otherwise. I think my lines would be drawn at sex, rape, and maybe genital mutilation because I don't need them to be "that kid" at school whose version of Doctor is sawing off testicles. I'd find it funny, but I know what's appropriate in which social situation.

I dunno, as long as you have a talk to your kids about not reinacting it or talking about it to other kids or whatnot and it doesn't give them nightmares, I don't see a problem.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member
    So, letting my daughter watch "Saw" is not a good idea? But she LOVES them..... That is all she talks about in her 1st grade class!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    It depends on the kid. My youngest gets freaked by the suspense music on TV(duh duh duh duh).

My oldest wanted to name our new Oscar fish Count Bloodmouth (We settled on Trogdor).
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    While other people are correct about the original Grimm tales being more gory, remember they weren't meant for children. A lot of those stories were local things they picked up that adults told one another.

Personally as a child who watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show before bed until she was 12, I can't say I'd have many reservations about the content of a story, written or otherwise. I think my lines would be drawn at sex, rape, and maybe genital mutilation because I don't need them to be "that kid" at school whose version of Doctor is sawing off testicles. I'd find it funny, but I know what's appropriate in which social situation.

I dunno, as long as you have a talk to your kids about not reinacting it or talking about it to other kids or whatnot and it doesn't give them nightmares, I don't see a problem.

I love that your referred to "that kid". As if we all had one in our class like the stinky kid.... Made me laugh. Kudos to you and your hilarity :)
  • When my children were babies up to when they were oh.... 2nd grade, I read them their Bible stories from their children's Bibles and then I'd read the Narnia series... no fairy tales, no witches or goblins...