OMG! I am SHOCKED!!!!!

Options

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Please please please.....can we keep this one site for weight loss instead of promoting anyone's theology or lack thereof. I won't even express which side of that coin I'm on because this really isn't the time or place. Let's just all be friends and lose weight.

Here, here! There is no room on this site for anything not directly related to the topic of the site. As it should be for ALL sites! Everywhere! Anyone who wants to talk about anything not directly related to weight loss or fitness should just get the f*** out of here right f******* now! There is NO place for that here! NONE!

Now, then, since we all have that straight, i would like to ask - by a show of hands - who here has accepted Lucifer as their personal savior?
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Please please please.....can we keep this one site for weight loss instead of promoting anyone's theology or lack thereof. I won't even express which side of that coin I'm on because this really isn't the time or place. Let's just all be friends and lose weight.

This is the chit-chat, fun and games forum...this section of the forums can be about anything...it doesnt have to be about weight loss if you dont want it too.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    my husband was a horror movie fan my kids watched movies like Chuckie and chainsaw massicure from the time they were born. My son and daughter are not afraid of the dark, spooky sounds etc my daughter favorite book are Frankenstein, Dracula Edgar Alan Poe, they are wonderful adults and I am glad they were raised like that I am afraid of my shadow
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    fairy stories were never really intended the way Disney has made them. the fae were a formidable foe to humans. the stories are dark and twisted. more of a warning than a story. fairy stories were meant to teach kids to stay close to family, stay safe. b/c if you didn't... well there would be an evil creature or a jealous creature or a demon of some origin just WAITING to gut you and wear your ribcage as a shiny hat.

Yup... Fairy tales were NEVER nice, Disney pretty much changed it.. look at the Brothers Grimm - a book that i have read over and over since I was about 8, its pretty dark.

Would I let my kid read them? Well being as my "kid" is of the furry variety probably not because she cannot read (that I know of). If I had kids, sure would.

Example: the original story of sleeping beauty... a woman who was unable to wake even through rape and was only awakened by the pains of childbirth.

Classic literature is straight forward and often times gruesome. Take Edgar Allen Poe, his stories are dark and can be easily considered twisted. But that does not change the fact he had a gift for the written word and could spin a story to launch your imagination. So at some point I believe children should be exposed to classics due to the pure talent of writing in the literature. Most classics will leave a lasting impression be it negative or positive. If one of my children are interested in the classics they will have a heavy dose of the deep and dark to the light and loving.
    Also I believe its important to remember the message of the story not necessarily the content (with some exceptions).

In essence, a novel about a serial killer will most likely be to graphic for too young of an age but for a teen the message could be as simple as look at the negative effects of one persons deranged mind, see the outcry of these crimes, and the hope or success that good will prevail.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    All you parents out there who read stories to your children - would you read stories which talk about plucking out someone's eyes,, stoning people to death, or chopping people up into little pieces?

What is your take on telling stories like this to children? If they were in stories like Cin der ella?
    Would you tell them to your three year old? Your ten year old? Your twelve year old? Would you want your children reading these? What age seems appropriate?

Game of Thrones woohoo!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Only at bedtime.

Just kidding. The stuff people think is suitable for children never fails to amaze me. I came across this math program when I was looking for some worksheets for the kids. It has actually been used in schools. And they also thoughtfully offer parenting tips on the same website. Uh...Pass.

From their third grade curriculum on addition and subtraction:

I was sleeping one night when a hungry vampire sucked 3652 liters of blood from me and 1865 liters of blood from my little brother. How much blood did the hungry vampire drink that night?

Jason, John, Brad and Calvin are in a tiny dinghy in the middle of the ocean. A huge wave capsizes their dinghy. A ferocious tiger shark chases the desperate people and in 5 h 24 min has eaten all of them. How long did it take the tiger shark on average to catch each person?

When a mad sorcerer summoned a demon out of hell, he almost fainted in horror. The hideous demon had 9999 writhing tentacles sticking out of its ears and mouth. If the creature had 1111 tentacles sticking out of its left ear and 5287 tentacles sticking out of its right ear, how many tentacles were sticking out of its mouth?

That stuff would have given me nightmares in the third grade!
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

FOR THE RECORD THIS IS NOT ABOUT THEOLOGY!! I am trying to find out from people when they would prefer their children read or find out about these stories, like the Brother Grimm.

I left is open to get as many ideas possible, but I am not looking for a debate on theology or the bible. Purely what age is the right age to talk about guts and gore during "story time".
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Here, here! There is no room on this site for anything not directly related to the topic of the site. As it should be for ALL sites! Everywhere! Anyone who wants to talk about anything not directly related to weight loss or fitness should just get the f*** out of here right f******* now! There is NO place for that here! NONE!

Now, then, since we all have that straight, i would like to ask - by a show of hands - who here has accepted Lucifer as their personal savior?

You people need to read the section before commenting.. Chit-Chat... means just that...

Personally I do not believe in Lucifer... I also however; do not believe in Heaven.... so guess I am kinda just stuck where I am right now.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Example: the original story of sleeping beauty... a woman who was unable to wake even through rape and was only awakened by the pains of childbirth.

The pain of child birth will wake anyone up quickly!! :sad:
  • SwannySez
    Options

I was sleeping one night when a hungry vampire sucked 3652 liters of blood from me and 1865 liters of blood from my little brother. How much blood did the hungry vampire drink that night?

Jason, John, Brad and Calvin are in a tiny dinghy in the middle of the ocean. A huge wave capsizes their dinghy. A ferocious tiger shark chases the desperate people and in 5 h 24 min has eaten all of them. How long did it take the tiger shark on average to catch each person?

When a mad sorcerer summoned a demon out of hell, he almost fainted in horror. The hideous demon had 9999 writhing tentacles sticking out of its ears and mouth. If the creature had 1111 tentacles sticking out of its left ear and 5287 tentacles sticking out of its right ear, how many tentacles were sticking out of its mouth?

I want this site URL! I love it! What a brilliant way to engage kids in math and get them interested in something that they might normally tune out.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    p.s. I am amused at asuming that its just the bible. Broaden your horizons and read some proper "how you should act, if you dont want someone to curse you, kill you, chop you up, wear your corpse as a dress, and dance around with your first born under the new moon" literature.

The Grimm brothers took folk lore and prettied it up. Sort of like Disney is doing now. The old stuff.. now that is FUN.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't let your kids read the Bible...it's full of murder, rape, incest and all that other icky stuff!

I wondered when that would come up. I actually assumed that's what Bug was referring to, stories from the Bible. :smile:

This is what I thought, too. Because the Berenstain Bears and the Dr. Seuss are NOT doing that stuff.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I read the subject of this post and I would have PUT MONEY DOWN that it was another repost of the McDonald's Pink Chicken slurry. :tongue:
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't let your kids read the Bible...it's full of murder, rape, incest and all that other icky stuff!

It's true!!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    What about cartoons that have been around forever...

Roadrunner: Coyote trying to blow up, shoot, run off a cliff, anything to kill the roadrunner.
    Bugs Bunny: Elmer Fudd doing everything possible to shoot or blow up the rabbit hole.

That's only 2 examples. Nobody gives a thought to the violence in the old standards.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    Personally I do not believe in Lucifer... I also however; do not believe in Heaven.... so guess I am kinda just stuck where I am right now.

Come to the dark side. We have 0 calorie punch and reduced fat cookies.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

I want this site URL! I love it! What a brilliant way to engage kids in math and get them interested in something that they might normally tune out.

Yikes! These are more of a lesson in vocabulary and reading comprehension than math LOL.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    I read the subject of this post and I would have PUT MONEY DOWN that it was another repost of the McDonald's Pink Chicken slurry. :tongue:

Mmmmmmmmm, pink chicken sluuuuuuurrrryyyyyy.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    Yikes! These are more of a lesson in vocabulary and reading comprehension than math LOL.

Get 'em multi-tasking at a young age!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Just about to say this. You beat me to it.

Me too, I was about to say... I mean, Jesus himself talks about these things in the New Testament. Maybe this will be the reason I give when people ask why I chosed to raise my children as non-religious... lol