Ladies that are losing 2lbs/week, what is your secret?

Replies

10051961 Posts: 16
    I lose 2-3 ibs per week. I exercise 1 hour pr day 6-7 days a week alternating cardio and weight training. I logmy food and eat 1500 calarie per day trying to balance my protein and carb....i am totally eating clean..the inches are just shredding. I have lost 26 lbs since Jan 1 and 74 in total with only 61 to go...
  • Exact same things for me as yoouperh.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    The ones that are losing 2 lbs a week are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • I have been doing this for a little over 2 weeks - and my husband and I are both consistently losing. I log everything - even if I think it is not enough calories to worry about. I get 1200 calories a day - and then we work out 6 days a week. We walk 45 minutes to an hour a day so it gives me about 250 calories more to eat. I try to not leave any less than 50 calories...if you leave more your body will think it is starving and will store fat.

We eat a lot of lean meats, egg beaters, Aunt Millie's potato bread - its 35 calories a slice, green veges, Idahoian mashed potatoes, extra lean ground beef, and the best - snack size York Peppermint Patties for snack, along with cereal.

Eat all your calories - when you hit 10 lbs they will decrease....and try and work out! Hang in there and best of luck.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Even when I have it set at 2lbs a week and follow my calories VERY strictly, I only lose about 1.5-2 a week...it's not 2 every week. When I first started with a goal of 2lb a week, I was going to the gym daily but only did 20 mins on the elliptical machine (250-290 cals). I had one cheat day a week...that was pizza night!

But, when I did this, I would lose 1.5-2lb a week for a few weeks, then it'd be like 1lb a week so I'd switch it up a bit by doing like the bike at the gym for a day or two then going back and that would jump start me again.

I moved in August to the middle of nowhere (literally, its 25 miles for gas/groceries) so no gym. I have a treadmill but I hate running so I got out of the habit of going daily. I changed my thing to 1lb a week because I wasn't exercising as much.

Just today, I changed it back to 1200 a day with a goal of 2lbs a week. My husband left last week for work and I noticed that the last few days, I struggled to meet me 1370 (1lb a week goal) so I changed it back to 2lb a week and figured if I already wasn't eating, I should change it back and see how that goes.

It's not easy doing 2lb a week because for most of the women i've talked to, thats a 1200 calorie day...and it's tricky to meet if you don't plan well and don't exercise.
  • yes - you definitely need to eat your exercise calories too or your body will think it is starving and store fat!
  • Jess11079
    Jess11079 Posts: 26
    Ive been dieting since Jan. 11th - (Lost 23lbs) Weighing myself once a week (next weigh in tomorrow) - My weight loss varies week to week - with the lowest weight loss being 1.9 lbs. I eat roughly 1200 calories a day and workout between 5-6 days a week anywhere between 45 min to 1 1/2 hr.(although the first 3 weeks i worked out 7days a week).

I dont eat any pre made or proccessed foods. I make everything from scratch using tons of veggies and minimal oil and/or sauces. I only eat chicken, turkey and all fish...cut out the red meat...but thats mostly because it hits my stomach hard. For the first 3 weeks i cut out all breads, pasta and rice. Now i only allow myself whole wheat (low cal) breads or brown rice 3 days a week. Everything I buy is low fat/low cal and again, I bulk up on veggies. Only have fruit early in the day. Dont eat anything after 8pm. drink tons of water. Because my major problem was always junk food I make sure i have a variety of 100 - 140 cal snacks around the house. I allow myself one of these snacks every night as a "dessert". Whenever i go anywhere i make sure to pack some snacks as well as protein bars and protein shakes with me...so this way if im hungry i have no excuse to settle on McDonalds.

Ive been doing Zumba for wii but recently started going to the gym in the morning for a little over an hour and doing zumba for about a half hour after dinner. I rarely ever eat my calories back....but this is PERSONNEL CHOICE. I know there are many out there against not eating your calories back. But for me, this works.....I also always listen to my body....if im hungry then i eat something, If im feeling tired or have a lack of energy then i eat something. It doesnt matter to me if i go over my calories or eat my excercise calories back...the only thing i focus on is making sure my body feels good....so everyone has to do what works for their bodies.

I try to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time everyday...also giving myself 9 hours of sleep....eating my meals and doing my excercise at the same time everyday really helps my body get into a routine and not feel runned down.

I believe that losing weight is about more then just one thing....you really have to find that "thing" that just works for you. There really is no secret to losing weight every week...you simply have to find a routine that your body responds to.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I have lost an average of two pounds a week since I started.

I eat 1700-1900 calories a day (a 500 cal/day deficit from a lightly active TDEE). This is my first pound lost a week. I exercise 5-6 days a week (three hours strength, two hours cardio, one hour yoga). I don't "eat exercise calories" so this is my second pound a week. I eat primarily whole foods. I drink a lot of water and get enough sleep. I try to keep carbs under 150g/day, protein above 120g/day.

I take 2-3 days "off" a month and eat what I please without logging. I took more than a week off around Christmas. It hasn't affected my averages at all.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    I lost 2 lbs per week for about the first 10 weeks of my weightloss. All I did was set my MFP profile to 'lose 2 lbs per week' and then ate the calories it told me to eat. No starving, I like food so I ate all that was allotted to me. After the first 10 lbs I also made an effort to start being more active (cleaned my house more, walked on the treadmill, etc). At that point I also started eating my exercise calories. Then eventually I moved on to adding more exercise to my day. No special foods other than just trying to make slightly better choices than I used to. Still ate carbs. Still ate frozen meals. Still had cereal and other various 'crap', just in moderation and along with those other slightly healthier choices. The main thing was sticking to the MFP given calorie goal.
    ^^^^^^^
    This! Absolutely this!
  • Jenniferlynn212
    Jenniferlynn212 Posts: 110 Member
    1200 cals most days - go over 2 days/week, exercise 20 mins - 1 hr 3-4 days/week...I've lost 23 lbs since Jan 1...I try to get as much protein, fiber, & calcium as I can & I eat what I want
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    I usually lose about 2lbs a week, but I am 5'7" and 206.2 (started at 236.6). The lower my weight gets, the harder it is to maintain that 2lb average. I think if you were much smaller than me it would be much more difficult. That said, I still work about 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes each time. I jog 1 or 2 of those workouts, otherwise I walk or do Zumba. I eat between 1330 and 1600 per day, depending on how intense my workout was. I eat what I want, but in moderation, and generally it is pretty healthy. Fruit, vegetables, nuts, imitation meat stuffs, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt. . . but I also eat the weight watchers ice cream or jolly time 100 calorie popcorn bags. Its not all super healthy stuff, but I'm careful about it.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/
    Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:
    Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
    Chicken breast or thigh
    Grass-fed organic beef
    Pork

Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Pinto beans

Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    bump
  • peg120
    peg120 Posts: 1 Member
    add a zero to what you want to weigh.....125 would be 1250 calories/day.....and track every single day! i have been tracking for
    280 days without missing one single day...and i lost 30 lbs in 23 weeks.....amazing.....it really works and it is a life style now....at goal since 11/10/11 and not having trouble maintaing because of myfitnesspal.
  • r3d13
    r3d13 Posts: 139
    Bump :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/
    Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:
    Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
    Chicken breast or thigh
    Grass-fed organic beef
    Pork

Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Pinto beans

Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items

This diet would make me homicidal. I can't decide which "rule" I hate more, but I certainly violate the heck out of them.
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    The ones that are losing 2 lbs a week are you eating your exercise calories back?

Yes, always when I exercise. I've lost 22 lbs since Jan 9, one week I lost 1.6 and the other gained 2.0 but lost 4.4 the following week - every other week I've had a minimum of 2lbs lost. No secrets, it's already been posted and of all the things I'm doing I believe drinking water and avoiding processed foods are really working for me (my diary is open).

In the past 3 weeks I haven't been able to exercise and it hasn't made any difference in my pattern of weight loss.

I have about 40-50lbs to lose total so I suspect as I get closer to my goal weight the rate at which I lose will slow down.

The only other thing I have done is vary my calories/day but didn't start that until about week 5 where I will eat 1500 one day and 900 the next. I'm pretty sure my body cannot figure out what I'm doing but so far so good.
  • valwes04
    valwes04 Posts: 58
    I'm doing the 'bump' here so I can come back when I have bit of time to really read! Good job ladies on losing 2 lbs a week! So proud of you! Keep it up!
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    These are great tips!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Just wondering, those who are losing consistently, what are you doing? How many calories per day? How many/what type of workouts per week? What are you eating? What are you NOT eating?

My max is 1580, i don't eat less than 1350, and i try to eat close to my limit. I don't eat back my exercise calories, yet. I am still adjusting to eating enough calories in a healthy way. There is nothing that i don't eat, just everything in moderation.
    For exercise, i do mostly strength. Currently, it's just squats, crunches and things like that with a medicine ball. When i get to the gym i will be dong more intense stuff. Just waiting on a new brace and doctor's approval. I do cardio too, just not the same thing over and over. I walk, run, bike ride, jump rope, climb stairs, a few times a week. Whatever i feel like really.
    My diary is open, you can have a look for yourself if you like.