Replies

• WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "The physiological adaptations of each type of exercise are going to be different, but the value of each may end up being equal"

New Rules of Lifting pg 78

In a bodybuilding context you're correct but strength training for runners is of proven benefit.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thank you again - your explanations are amazing!

That answered one question, but my other question was whether energy from fat (rather than energy from glycogen) can be used in anabolism (muscle repair).

Put simply, if someone with excess fat stores did strength training, then went for a run (I suppose a very big run if they are burning so much glycogen that there is none remaining for muscle repair), could the body then use energy from the fats to build the muscles out of the protein we consume during recovery.

Hope that question made sense.

I am curious because I notice that I recover very quickly at the moment and I have 30%bf. When I was (apparently) 16%bf recovery seemed to take longer.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thank you again - your explanations are amazing!

That answered one question, but my other question was whether energy from fat (rather than energy from glycogen) can be used in anabolism (muscle repair).

Put simply, if someone with excess fat stores did strength training, then went for a run (I suppose a very big run if they are burning so much glycogen that there is none remaining for muscle repair), could the body then use energy from the fats to build the muscles out of the protein we consume during recovery.

Hope that question made sense.

I am curious because I notice that I recover very quickly at the moment and I have 30%bf. When I was (apparently) 16%bf recovery seemed to take longer.

Yes, but not any type of fatty acids : omega-3 fatty acids only.

While saturated fats and medium-chain triglyrerides (MCT's) don't contribute to muscle gain, a study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20932294) showed that subjects who received omega-3 intakes had gain 1,1lb of lean mass and lost 1,1 lb of fat mass.

Thanks BrianSharpe, it is true that my researches mainly focus in strenght, cardio is more of stranger to me :wink:
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You are awesome :flowerforyou: :heart: thank you.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Excellent Q & A here. And very interesting regarding the omega 3.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    anytime :drinker:
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Great post. Very informative!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info in this thread. Nice!
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    thanks guys
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    ***Taking Notes***
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I really need to read this b/c I do cardio and NRoL4W on the same day right now.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    If you are new, don't worry, and go, after a couple of months, if you remain committed, you would notice that effect. I basically ended my "cardio" phase - and now I focus on build. I used to be stable on both fields - since both are antagonists.

Here are two excellent guys in their disciplines - the first is not better than the second one both made a choice

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dPNxkY3JFxw/TiXAz1e_ybI/AAAAAAAAARQ/JzeC_OrTdw0/s320/MarathonVsSpinter.jpg
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    thanks guys

razi, looking at your face i am estimating you weigh 110lbs?

ahah no - but almost - plus you can cheat since you know my weight moron
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks for taking the time to share!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options
    Bump for later. :)