Why you wouldn't mix cardio and strenght training

Options

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Raz,

This was very interesting and informative. I'm hoping this question isn't stupid. :) On the days I weight train, I typically do about 10 minutes of cardio before hand just to warm-up. Should I not be doing this and if not, is there something else I should do to warm-up or just hit the weights?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Well it's perfect, keep it that way - I myself only do intensive rope-jumping during 3 minutes before, that removes the dust for the bones
    Don't forget the stretching - very important (check the post "why eating proteins" for you to understand how easy it could be to get injuries without prep)
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    Bump, to read later
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    bump for later <3
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This is only true for lean body mass people and not overweight individuals.
    this is what i'm thinking as well. i normally do 15 minutes of HIIT after i lift and i lift a good portion of weight relative to my max.

i'm also obese and i'm sure there are are easier things for my body to use as fuel than muscle, especially since I frequently tax that muscle. once i get closer to my weight and fat loss goals, i'm sure i'll rethink this but for right now i'm getting the results i want

Actually no.

You and every other person has limited storage for glucose, liver 400-450, then muscles 1000 up to 2000 depending on how aerobically trained they are, and how much you got.

You run out liver glucose stores, which are used first, burning right along with the fat, then the muscles will use muscle storage for their needs.

But muscle glucose can NOT be put back into the bloodstream for increasing the blood sugar that just went down.
    Muscle is the only thing that can be used to convert to glucose to keep the blood sugar up.

So you do your aerobic intense enough to burn through that 400-450 (if that much was even there to begin with), and you will be breaking down muscle.
    Doesn't matter how much fat you got left. If your carb to fat ratio at certain intensity of cardio is 70:30, it stays there, slightly favoring fat as you go over 1 hr, which is also when protein starts getting used as energy too.

So just keep in mind how it really works, you read these facts anywhere.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    le sigh... bump... because i work out more cardio then weight training but i eat enought o keep my body fueled
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    thanks for the clarification - and the figures, I didn't kew these. Are they grams ?
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    thanks for the clarification - and the figures, I didn't kew these. Are they grams ?

Oops, calories.

interestingly, for those folks that say they finally ate more, or splurged and had a piece of wedding cake, and they all say they gained 3 lbs.
    And they normally do a lot of cardio 6 days a week.

1500 calories of carb storage is 375 grams (4 cal/g), and glucose stores with 2.7 g of water in the muscle, so 3.7 g per g of stored glucose.
    375 g x 3.7 = 1388 g total weight for 1500 calories. 3.06 lbs.

Also explains the weight loss through the week of those doing intense cardio whose diet never tops off the stores each day. They run down to almost nothing.
    Totally false weight loss.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Thanks for great infos !
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Great information! Thanks for posting : )
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Actually no.

You and every other person has limited storage for glucose, liver 400-450, then muscles 1000 up to 2000 depending on how aerobically trained they are, and how much you got.

Hi, thanks for these numbers. It's so helpful to someone like me who likes to know the figures and processes!

I have a question again now, though, if you'd be so kind as to answer. :)

If there is roughly total 2000cals of glycogen stores in my muscles + liver, presuming I do eat carbs to replenish these and am not in a ridiculously low deficit, why then can we not do say, for example, a 300cal strength session followed by a 400cal cardio session? are there still 1300cals of glycogen sitting in the muscles ready to be used for repair + general movement?

Thanks as always - you guys are so helpful. :)
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Am a little confused. My goals are to build up some muscles (especially upper body) & at the same time develop enough stamina to do a 5k run. I've been surfing ard a little on bodybuilding.com and a plan that incorporates strength training & cardio actually caught my eye --> http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/melissa-shed-80-lbs-took-fitness-world-by-storm.html

Will something like that, not work out?
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Tons of great info on this thread. Thanks everyone and razi
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    That is very interesting. I do ZERO cardio and only focus on strength training in various forms. Recently been doing the 30 Day Shred which is circuit training and I guess combines them... can't hurt right? And Bikram yoga? I have both lost weight and gained muscle recently.
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    Like others have said before me, dam interesting thread and heaps of information. Now I am totally confused so I'll just have to read it again...and again,,,and again
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Cardio is good for what it is, enhances vo2 max, and develop the body. I think one session of cardio would be good. I don't have any scientific backup for that - but I think can only do some goods :-) (not to mention the blod circulation)
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Very informative!