Is anyone scared to lose weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There are a couple of things that scare me in the weight loss process.

First is not being able to maintain my weight. This has causes my to give up after losing a few pounds, thinking "why do I bother, I'll gain it back anyway".

Also when I was thinner, I hated all the mean remarks on my weight. Thing is, I also received many compliments, for the first (and only) time of my life, and it felt so good ... Call me vain, but never being complimented is not easy. Anyway. So being complimented on my weight felt good, but all those harsh "you look too skinny, you are too flat", etc. were not easy to deal with, especially when they came from my family. I can tell off a stranger, like a co-worker I am not friend with, but my own mom?

As for attention from men, I would die to have some, so that's definitely not a fear for me !
  • tessslimmer1
    Options
    You're making me wonder.... am I scared.... Is that why I self sabotage??
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified. That's why I've been on here for almost 11 months and have only lost 23 lbs.

I've ALWAYS been fat. At least compared to my friends. I was maybe a 12 my freshman year of high school but ballooned all the way up to a size 22 freshman year of college. It was always a security blanket, I had food and food had me. Every relationship I've ever had there's always been commentary on my weight...'you're pretty but...' 'you'd look so much better if...' 'I'm just worried about your health'.
    The last was particularly my favorite because it made me scared to go to the doctors for a basic check up. Every physical I could ask a question about anything and the reasoning for all of my issues was "well you're fat". I was legit nervous to finally get a physical this past November even though I've been running and eating right for over a year. She told me I was perfectly healthy and to just keep on track with what I was doing.
    If I was perfectly healthy on the inside then why couldn't I look like it on the outside? I'm scared of failing, of loose skin, of gaining it all back and then some, of no longer just being the fun fat friend, of how my body will look at a smaller size...I don't know what I'll look like and that is the most terrifying thing. I think that's why I get to a certain point where I'm ALMOST the next size down..and I sit there...not wanting to get my hopes up because I've basically been a 20 (minus the 22 freshman year experience) for the last 8 or so years of my life.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Erchu12 wrote: »
    I don't think I'm scared. I just have no idea what it will be like. I haven't been small since 6th grade, then I plumped up. lol. I'm excited and nervous.

This is pretty much how I feel about it too. I'm not particularly scare of losing weight as much as I'm 'scared' of being something/someone I've never really been before. It's like a mixture of nerves, excitement and curiosity.

I've been through this, and the fear resulted in a massive weight gain -- not right away, but years later.

You will always be you, but when you're slimmer, you'll get to experience different things as you come out of your shell. Please remember: You will always be you. And be aware that people will treat you differently, but that doesn't mean you're different. I was way too influenced by all the new attention I got. It made me uncomfortable. It also made me feel like I had never been worth loving when I was heavy.

For some people, there's a lot of emotional baggage that comes with weight loss. Knowing it's a possibility can get you thinking about shutting it down before it really messes with your head.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    fitfatty88 wrote: »
    I'm terrified. That's why I've been on here for almost 11 months and have only lost 23 lbs.

I've ALWAYS been fat. At least compared to my friends. I was maybe a 12 my freshman year of high school but ballooned all the way up to a size 22 freshman year of college. It was always a security blanket, I had food and food had me. Every relationship I've ever had there's always been commentary on my weight...'you're pretty but...' 'you'd look so much better if...' 'I'm just worried about your health'.
    The last was particularly my favorite because it made me scared to go to the doctors for a basic check up. Every physical I could ask a question about anything and the reasoning for all of my issues was "well you're fat". I was legit nervous to finally get a physical this past November even though I've been running and eating right for over a year. She told me I was perfectly healthy and to just keep on track with what I was doing.
    If I was perfectly healthy on the inside then why couldn't I look like it on the outside? I'm scared of failing, of loose skin, of gaining it all back and then some, of no longer just being the fun fat friend, of how my body will look at a smaller size...I don't know what I'll look like and that is the most terrifying thing. I think that's why I get to a certain point where I'm ALMOST the next size down..and I sit there...not wanting to get my hopes up because I've basically been a 20 (minus the 22 freshman year experience) for the last 8 or so years of my life.

@fitfatty88 I know exactly what you mean. I've been chubby/overweight since elementary school and have only gotten bigger since. I literally have NO idea what I'll look like underneath this; how my body will change, how my face will change. I've also no clue how anyone around me will respond, IF they do, nor how I'll take it (ie. compliments, criticism, concern, increased attention from guys).

Venturing into that many unknowns all at once is SCARY to me :/