Eggs VS Egg Whites

Options
124»

Replies

• jamesfit99
    Options
    The yolk is high in fat and cholesterol. If you were to eat eggs everyday, you're lipid panel would be abnormal because of all the cholesterol and fat consumption just from eggs. You can eat the whole egg just do it in moderation.

That is purely theoretical and has been disproven in studies. Saturated fat and systemic inflammation are now considered the key causes.

Subjects were given 2 eggs a day and their cholesterol & lipid levels actually decreased!! They also lost more weight compared to the control group on an otherwise identical exercise and diet regimen. 2-3 eggs/day is absolutely safe. More are probably safe but it has not been subjected to rigorous study.

Not purely theoretical and not disproven even in the study you cite.

The subjects in your cited subject were overweight and many on a non-restricted fat and calorie diet. That means that the added fat contained in 2 egg yolks may not have been very significant in their total fat intake.

That compared to for example, those on a low fat diet to lower cholesterol, like the Dean Ornish Diet or the Esselystyn diet. These are the only two diets with medical documentation to lower cholesterol and reverse heart disease and both do not allow egg yolks.

But back to your statement that the two egg group actually had a *decrease* in cholesterol.

This statement is misleading as the study clearly stated that the difference in cholesterol between the 2 egg yolk group and the non-egg yolk group was *statistically insignificant.*

-- James
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. I have one scrambled every morning and it helps me feel full. The yolks have so many nutrients in them. It doesn't hurt that they taste a ton better than the whites do on their own.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't care about costs. I buy the Egg White Beaters for convenience. At Walmart there is a handy-dandy little round microwave container (by the microwaves). I pour in about 1/4 cup for a minute in the microwave and when that's done, I sprinkle about Tbsp of shredded cheese while I toast an English Muffin. 185 calories, less money than McD's and tastier in my opinion.

At Waffle House they will make you an egg white wrap with bacon for less than 300 calories. (There I do leave off the cheese...)

Since I have been eating the whiltes I don't care for an egg anymore.

Cool. We're all at different points in our lives. I care A LOT about how much things cost. Especially when it's ridiulously out of whack. There is a cost for service, and many people are willing to pay. I rarely am. I can do most things myself. Like house cleaning and gardening, and all that stuff. Most people hire someone to do it. but I just don't see the point. Like breaking eggs, it just takes an extra few seconds. I don't see how that's a lazy thing. To me, that's over the top lazy. Or, just not putting in proper perspective. Price out the cost of 4 eggs, the cheapest ones. Then, price out how much the egg whites tha tyou buy cost. You might think twice...or maybe not. I'm just saying, it's insanely over the top. I couldn't justify it in any way humanly possible. I'm busy, but I'm not that busy that I can't crack a couple of eggs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The yolk is high in fat and cholesterol. If you were to eat eggs everyday, you're lipid panel would be abnormal because of all the cholesterol and fat consumption just from eggs. You can eat the whole egg just do it in moderation.

That is purely theoretical and has been disproven in studies. Saturated fat and systemic inflammation are now considered the key causes.

Subjects were given 2 eggs a day and their cholesterol & lipid levels actually decreased!! They also lost more weight compared to the control group on an otherwise identical exercise and diet regimen. 2-3 eggs/day is absolutely safe. More are probably safe but it has not been subjected to rigorous study.

The subjects in your cited subject were overweight and many on a non-restricted fat and calorie diet. That means that the added fat contained in 2 egg yolks may not have been very significant in their total fat intake.

That compared to for example, those on a low fat diet to lower cholesterol, like the Dean Ornish Diet or the Esselystyn diet. These are the only two diets with medical documentation to lower cholesterol and reverse heart disease and both do not allow egg yolks.

But back to your statement that the two egg group actually had a *decrease* in cholesterol.

This statement is misleading as the study clearly stated that the difference in cholesterol between the 2 egg yolk group and the non-egg yolk group was *statistically insignificant.*

-- James

There is no research that indicates increase in serum cholesterol based on intake of dietary cholesterol without severe mitigating factor like obesity, high triglycerides and diets with caloric and carbohydrate intake far in excess of daily requirements. The "eating too much cholesterol" myth has been repeatedly debunked. Rad info on Lyle McDonalds website also conclusions for The Framingham Heart Study that has been ongoing since 1946. and a slew of others.

No and I repeat NO link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol in otherwise healthy subjects. If you intake less, your liver makes more, If you intake more your liver makes less. If your diet is screwed up totally with too many total calories and too many simple carbohydrates, taking away a little cholesterol in eggs is like putting a band aid on a heart attack. You have much, much bigger problems than eggs!!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options

-- James

Actually the most recent study I referred to had 2 groups in identical restricted diet & exercise programs geared for weight-loss. Neither had unrestricted fat or calorie intake. (That would make no sense.) The main conclusion from that study was there was little significant difference between the groups apart from the egg group loosing an extra pound or two. Even that difference wasn't very significant.

If you have cardiovascular disease or are at extreme risk for it and want to go vegan I have absolutely no problem with that. But I otherwise see little reason to be concerned about the fat and cholesterol from eggs in the context of a varied, healthy diet. But no, that doesn't mean I endorse eating a dozen eggs every day.

I am not intimately familiar with the diet plans you cited & what went into them. It seems hard to believe every possible individual food was studied separately and rigorously for them. Especially when at least one of the systems is philosophically plant-based. It's much more likely that the diet plans were contrived based on theory and then the plan as a whole was subjected to study. Eggs, originally eliminated based on theory, were not revisited because the studies validated the diet. That's completely different than claiming the diet plans demonstrate eggs are bad for cholesterol.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    whfoods.org has alot of really good information regarding health benefits of whole eggs. they also cite all related studies on cholesterol and health benefits. Worth a look.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92
  • KudzuSouth
    KudzuSouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I prefer the whole egg. My current diet is a bit low in fat and high protein, so each morning I scramble 1 whole egg + 5 egg whites, mainly to get some decent protein without the extra calories that come with fat.

There's a lot of Conventional Wisdom (CW) being thrown about in this thread regarding cholesterol, diet and heart disease. Unfortunately, a lot of what we are being told to do is wrong, from the "Food Pyramid" on down to dietary cholesterol.

A few interesting links:

Nerd Fitness takes on Conventional Wisdom
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/02/14/conventional-wisdom/

Big Fat Lies - Short clip from "Fat Head" debunking the Lipid Hypothesis.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4&list=UUo79qbil7BXihBa6jfDykxQ&index=29&feature=plcp
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I dont waste the yummy yolk. I eat 2-5 whole eggs everyday :)
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol and the Great Egg Debate

One source of confusion has long been eggs. A typical egg contains about 200 milligrams of cholesterol, but only 1.5 grams of saturated fat. When researchers first linked high blood cholesterol levels to heart disease, eggs got a bad rap.

But there's never been good evidence that eggs are a major factor in high blood cholesterol levels or a contributing cause of heart disease.

In fact, when researchers at Harvard Medical School analyzed data from almost 120,000 men and women, they found that eating the equivalent of an egg a day did not increase the risk of heart disease or stroke. A more recent Harvard Medical School study, published in 2008, also found that otherwise healthy men could eat up to seven eggs a day with little risk. The only danger showed up in men with diabetes, which is known to increase heart disease risk.

Indeed, studies suggest that only about 30% of people are particularly susceptible to the effects of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol levels.

And overall, the effects of dietary cholesterol are relatively small compared with saturated fat and trans fats.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We raise our own chickens and eat their eggs. If you have someone local who sells farm fresh eggs, buy them and eat the whole egg!

Farm fresh eggs have seven times more beta carotene, twice as many omega 3′s, three times more Vitamin E, a 1/3 less cholesterol, AND 1/4 less saturated fat than store bought eggs.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Whole egg.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The yolk is where all the good stuff is.. Eat the whole thing:) I especially like it a little runny:)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Actually saturated fat is not the cause. High GI carbohydrates are the most likely cause.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Actually saturated fat is not the cause. High GI carbohydrates are the most likely cause.

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap! ( the sound of applause!) I am not familiar with this study but many studies start out with a bias and when data is confirmed that supports the bias, it is heralded as fact. The likely factor you mention may not have been examined or measure but was possible one of the most critical ones. In so many studies includint The FRamingham Heart Study, the medical people are certain there is a link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol but they haven't proved it yet. In The Framingham Heart Study the director of the study said as much in an article back in the 1990's I belive it was. He siad there was a connection but they jsut hadn't found it yet. After 66 years they still haven't!

the Mayo Clinic people are no different. They still spout the conventional wisdom with no proof but when they put someone on a pre-cardiac surgery diet for catheterization or bypass the diet is high protein, low carb and high satruated fat!! Whaaaaa
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap! ( the sound of applause!) I am not familiar with this study but many studies start out with a bias and when data is confirmed that supports the bias, it is heralded as fact. The likely factor you mention may not have been examined or measure but was possible one of the most critical ones. In so many studies includint The FRamingham Heart Study, the medical people are certain there is a link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol but they haven't proved it yet. In The Framingham Heart Study the director of the study said as much in an article back in the 1990's I belive it was. He siad there was a connection but they jsut hadn't found it yet. After 66 years they still haven't!

the Mayo Clinic people are no different. They still spout the conventional wisdom with no proof but when they put someone on a pre-cardiac surgery diet for catheterization or bypass the diet is high protein, low carb and high satruated fat!! Whaaaaa

Very interesting. I have to look into that data. I'd assume not all carbs are equal in that regard as well. Whole-food plant-based diets are supposed to be excellent for people with cardiac disease or in reducing all risk factors for it. Such diets are quite high in carbohydrates. Although they are so-called "slow-carbs."