Starvation mode article that I found very VERY helpful....

Options

Replies

• Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I usually eat under 750 calories BUT its not because im trying to have it help me lose weight.

I eat all throughout the day and im full to the max when i finish eating.

WHATS THE ISSUE?

People would rather me eat until im sick just so i can say im eating over 1000 calories?

No thank you.

This puzzles me.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    reading the first few pages of this has gotten me confused. When I signed up for MFP and entered my current weight and goal weight it told me to lose 1 lb a week I should be eating 1200 cals a day. Is this wrong? would I be more succesful eating more?

ETA: its worked great so far but im also on the south beach diet and have only been on for 2 weeks so I know most of my weight loss has been water weight.
    you could try setting your goal to match your BMR.. then make sure you eat back your exercise calories. you might lose a bit slower, but youll lose.
    i set mine to my bmr (1845) and lost about a pound a week last month.
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options
    reading the first few pages of this has gotten me confused. When I signed up for MFP and entered my current weight and goal weight it told me to lose 1 lb a week I should be eating 1200 cals a day. Is this wrong? would I be more succesful eating more?

ETA: its worked great so far but im also on the south beach diet and have only been on for 2 weeks so I know most of my weight loss has been water weight.
    you could try setting your goal to match your BMR.. then make sure you eat back your exercise calories. you might lose a bit slower, but youll lose.
    i set mine to my bmr (1845) and lost about a pound a week last month.

thank you! Ok I will try that, do you know how I could lose faster? lol sorry im impatient even tho I know..slow and steady wins the race.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

You're already quite small. When you don't have a lot to lose, even one pound a week is too much.... you don't have enough excess body fat to support a larger calorie deficit.

The very GOOD news in that, is that if you set your weight loss goal to a half pound a week, get adequate protein, and add strength training, a much larger percentage of the weight you DO lose will be from fat, so it'll look like you've lost more. Check this blog post... my weight is only two pounds different from last June to when I took those pics, but my body, especially from the back, is completely different. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/in-defense-of-bikinis-215624
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I had a revelation about starvation mode a couple of months ago...

It's less about the number of calories you eat... and more about the nutrition that you get...
    You can eat 3500 calories a day but if they are all empty calories and you're body is going to want to hang on to every thing it can store it as fat to use later...
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    great article thanks for sharing...
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options

You're already quite small. When you don't have a lot to lose, even one pound a week is too much.... you don't have enough excess body fat to support a larger calorie deficit.

The very GOOD news in that, is that if you set your weight loss goal to a half pound a week, get adequate protein, and add strength training, a much larger percentage of the weight you DO lose will be from fat, so it'll look like you've lost more. Check this blog post... my weight is only two pounds different from last June to when I took those pics, but my body, especially from the back, is completely different. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/in-defense-of-bikinis-215624

yeah your right, I can see the difference you look smaller and more muscular even tho the scale says you were about the same.. I will change my weight loss per week to half a pound and hopefully it makes a difference. I also go to the gym 3x a week and do about 40 mins of cardio and 20 of lifting. I am definetly getting lots of protien but low on carbs (south beach) thank you! btw what do you mean by strength training (excuse me im new) like lifting?
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    why not change your screen name from committobefit to committobeskinny?
    [/quote

because skinny has become a derogatory, pro-ana related word, maybe just as you have used it. What's wrong with wanting to be skinnier? You can be fit and skinny, but once you say you want to be skinnier everyone acts like you're crazy.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yup. That is true. Fat people aren't "starving" for calories because they have plenty of calories stored. But not enough is known about how the body responds to "nutritional starvation" or hormonal responses to imbalances or dramatic changes in our behavior. Our bodies have an uncanny ability to adapt to the conditions we are forced, or force ourselves into. It's true that not everyone who isn't losing weight can even claim this, but the fact that our bodies adapt is indesputable.

Anyone who actually believes that all weight lost in diet/exercise efforts comes from fat stores is more than a bit naieve. And anyone who believes that loss is isolated strictly to calories out vs calories in is waaay off the mark. But hey, it's a free country. You are completely entitled to diet how you want to and criticise everyone trying to make sure they get enough nutrition to sustain muscle and lose fat at a pace that is manageable and maintainable. It doesn't make you smarter or healthier, it just makes you an a**.
  • Seveen
    Seveen Posts: 14
    Options
    yep i get that little warning from MFP whenever i eat less than my 1200 calories

so i had to do some investigating

i read many articles on the web and none of them said an overweight person would go into starvation mode - even weight watchers

yes metabolism slows but not that significantly

and your body is not going to start eating muscle unless it has already burned through all your fat

the minnesota starvation experiment which was conducted in 1950 is the basis of this "starvation mode myth"

but seldom is it mentioned that the men that participated in that study started at normal weight - not overweight - so yeah weeks without food starved them

when you reach your goal weight - you go on maintenance - that means eating to stay the same weight so an increase in calories is expected to maintain weight - and that is a balancing act and then it is even more important to maintain your food diary to find out what that balance (caloric intake) is for maintenance - maintenance doesn't mean - i lost the weight now i can eat anything

read about the minnesota starvation experiment here - there are some good reference articles at the end

and if you can find me one article that says an overweight person is going to go into starvation mode - i will buy you one big fat bubba burger - lol

BTW - those HCG diets put you on a 500 calorie diet - not sure what the shots are for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options
    and your body is not going to start eating muscle unless it has already burned through all your fat

TRUE?
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    first off I just want to note that for everyone reading this article and declaring it a golden rule remember:
    1. this article was not written by a medical expert with notable research on the subject
    2. there is a big difference between starving your self and starvation mode ( ie low metabolism).
    3. he was on a liquid diet for a reason- loss of lean muscle mass is what happens in those with cancer as once the fat is gone there is nothing left to eat ie increase energy catabolism to build cancer cells.
    4. He was under medical supervision while all this was going on.

sooo in the normal population this would never happen if say you calculated kcal needs for weight loss were 1200 kcals and you burnt 600 kcals a day, but continued to only eat 1200kcals. This happens in 500 kcal diet people also referred to as very low kcal diets. What does happen to the normal population whom dont supply adequate energy from kcal intake to there bodies is that the metabolism slows down and the body hoards kcal, therefore slowing weight loss progress.

Sorry this is my 2 cents as I hate unsubstantiated materials on the internet that the average person reads and takes as golden new. RD
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

TRUE?

FALSE.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% I net about 650 on average every day and eat about 1300 or so. I'm not starving or on "starvation mode" I can't eat anymore, sorry I can't . Tons of people don't eat all of their work out calories back all the time and are perfectly healthy. I am kinda not sure why this keeps being such a huge debate. Really why care so much about people you will never meet who don't care for your opinion shoved down their throats like the calories they can't eat anymore. Lay it to rest we don't have the same metabolism or medical issues. Some people just want you to so badly feed into their own way of thinking they lose site of the fact you are not a
    Cookie cutter human being. We are all different accept it, move on and attain your own goals. People are going to make themselves sick by eating more than they physically can. End rant.
    I usually eat under 750 calories BUT its not because im trying to have it help me lose weight.

WHATS THE ISSUE?

People would rather me eat until im sick just so i can say im eating over 1000 calories?

No thank you.
  • Seveen
    Options
    this weight watchers article is also very good

note:

"For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes."

source:
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

"
  • Seveen
    Options
    i think this subject keeps coming up because MFP flashes that "starvation mode" message when you eat below your proposed daily caloric intake - i have learned to ignore it :-)

I agree 100% I net about 650 on average every day and eat about 1300 or so. I'm not starving or on "starvation mode" I can't eat anymore, sorry I can't . Tons of people don't eat all of their work out calories back all the time and are perfectly healthy. I am kinda not sure why this keeps being such a huge debate. Really why care so much about people you will never meet who don't care for your opinion shoved down their throats like the calories they can't eat anymore. Lay it to rest we don't have the same metabolism or medical issues. Some people just want you to so badly feed into their own way of thinking they lose site of the fact you are not a cok
    Cookie cutter human being. We are all different accept it, move on and attain your own goals. People are going to make themselves sick by eating more than they physically can. End rant.

WHATS THE ISSUE?

No thank you.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Some people say its impossible to build muscle with a calorie deficit but it's not and there are studies also proving this. I'm condoning starving yourself to lose weight that's terrible but if you are you going to make yourself sick by eating more than you physically can that's just as bad. Be healthy not skinny:)
    The article is pretty good. I have one major contention - your body will burn you muscles for energy before it attacks fat, because it requires too much energy to maintain muscles unless you eat enough and exercise. However the whole "starvation mode" is a misnomer, it's more conservation mode when it turns to burning muscles. But, maintaining muscle mass requires getting enough protein. I lost a lot of weight on a medical weight loss plan, but did not lose a lot of muscle because I exercised and ate almost all protein! So near starvation level diets work, but only under carefully watched conditions!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's a take from the other side of the tracks. A few years ago, I was cardio, cardio, cardio. maybe 1/3 of the time in gym, some strength on machines. Ate like a champ, looked better, but lost nothing. Now i stopped due to a death in family, got out of swing of things and am back.
    I don't "try" to eat every single cotton pickin calorie back, but Im eating healthy, and if im hungry and on the run? I got a cooler full of healthy choices. With that said, I may fall 100-300 cals under goal, hardly ever over.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm here to learn healthier eating styles and get ideas on meals, exercise, etc..
    Im not only eating a well balanced diet, and drinking plenty of water, but Im learning how to exercise. I think this is why we all came and stay.