what was your "a-ha" moment?

Options
When you realized, "its time to lose this weight?"

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Lol when I regularly took showers with the light off xD etc...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to do the Warrior Dash, but couldn't run a quarter of a mile. It wasn't about losing weight for me, because I didn't think I could. I just wanted to be healthier and stronger.
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    I've always wanted too, but I was never commited to all the work. The moment when I became absolutley determined was when I picked up my 6 year old son from school and one of his classmates looked at me and said "You're fat!". That's when I realized I don't want my weight to effect how my kids are treated. So, here's to losing 100+ pounds!!!
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i have a lot of hot friends. when we go out dancing, or even just to class, they get asked out (im not kidding, some of my friends are smokin lol) and i want that to happen to me. But i also have a lot of fitness goals, like running a 5k. Suddenly i just decided that I want to look and feel the best possible.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am a role model and mentor to a bunch of kids at a local technical college. If the older fat guy they look up to can do it, then they can do.

Really, though that was not enough. When my wife got pregnant, it finally gave me the strength to really get on the wagon and stay on it this time. I wanted a longer life in which I could get to know my child. Sadly, we lost our child to miscarriage, but that has only made it more important for me to get fit. When we can finally have children, I need to be ready to be the best damn father on the planet.
  • healthymel7704
    Options
    I've tried off and on for years, being successful each time, but always gaining it back.

I went to the doctor and he said, "Well, what are we going to do about this weight?" That was it. I started the next day and haven't stopped. I am in it for the long haul and can't wait to see him next so that he can see the changes I've made.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I turned 35. Halfway to 70..I knew it was time to change directions. I quit smoking and began creating the better path for my future. I am doing the Warrior Dash in September.

I just realized that I was unhappy, unhealthy, and a crappy role model for my kids.
  • AJs_Journey
    Options
    When I lost my mom to obisity realated diseases, I took a long hard look at myself and relized i was my mom all over again. I don't want to leave my kids in 26 years. SO It made my head spin around a bit and I have been working hard to be a healthier happier me since. Its not always easy but I will do it!
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My A-ha moment was when my body started falling apart on me because the weight was just too much, started having back problems, leg problems and was just all over sore. I took it as a sign that my body was begging me to please lose the weight so I could be healthy and active again.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I hit 210lbs. Felt disgusting. Couldnt carry my 1 yo daughter through the store for more than ten minutes without muscle burning and being out of breath.

F it...sign us up for the gym. Dont care where, dont care how much.
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i have a lot of hot friends. when we go out dancing, or even just to class, they get asked out (im not kidding, some of my friends are smokin lol) and i want that to happen to me. But i also have a lot of fitness goals, like running a 5k. Suddenly i just decided that I want to look and feel the best possible.

^ This

Except substitute sister for friends.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Mine is when I went on a date with a guy and i got out of the car and he texted me and said sorry *not my type* I had sent him current pics etc told him I was a bigger girl... it crushed me.. that someone could be that rude... i cried all the way home... then I got pissed.....
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to and tried to, but it was always really hard with my boyfriend. He tried to take us out to dessert at least once a week, wanted pizza, burgers, and frito boats every night for dinner, just super unhealthy. This year, when new years came he decided he was on board and it's been SOO amazing! It's easier than I ever thought it could be.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When I declined invitations to go out with friends because I realized I didn't want to be seen in public :/
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    When I looked at photos and couldn't stand the sight of myself. I used to be very very small before I had my son I gained over 100lbs during pregnancy and just kept packing it on for about a 1/2 year. I didn't want to get off the couch and I used to play tennis everyday. I just wasn't myself anymore. My fiance is very active and I would get mad when he wanted to go outside and do something because it was "too hot" or I was "too tired" all just lame excuses for me to not get off the computer and get my butt moving.

Finally I searched my App market on my phone and found MFP it has changed my life. :happy:
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I declined invitations to go out with friends because I realized I didn't want to be seen in public :/

This, exactly. Unfortunately, as I lose weight... I'm even more critical. But this was big. But I was depressed then too.
  • mseraf713
    mseraf713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I woke up one morning and decided today is going to be the day.
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I lost my Identical Twin Boys during my second trimester due to health problems brought on from being morbidly obese.
  • Onkel_Gazpacho
    Options
    Last Halloween, I dressed up as the Joker from batman. Yeah. I was scary.
    They have never seen a fat Joker before.
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Went on vacation in Vegas. Stayed at the Aria... Some brilliant decorator thought it was a good idea to have a full length mirror oppsosite the glass enclosed shower. REALLY did not need to see that.
    So I've been working on it a little ever since. But getting MFP on my phone has made a huge difference