what was your "a-ha" moment?

Options

Replies

• cjames1983
    Options
    Besides everyday looking in the mirror...

When a person posted a picture of me to Facebook...that was it for me.
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Well i have always had a problem with my weight . And on Christmas of 2010 i seen a picture that my sister had taken of me and 2 of my neices and i was like wow i really need to do something . And that was the moment for me . I have lost 49 pounds so far and i feel so much better !
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When I realized the our second child's birthday was here. And now I am a year post pregnancy. So it's time to get rid of this pregnancy weight!
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mine seems like such a silly reason but I've never really liked to have my pic taken and especially over the last how ever many years cause I just wasn't happy about how I looked weight wise so the push to finally get me to do something about it was the fact that we are going to FL for vacay in June and I wanted to look good enough..for me..to get in the pics with my children! I'm a scrapbooker and I take tons of pics of my children..but have so few of me with them and it dawned on me that when they get older I'm sure they would love to look through those scrapbooks and see pics of them with their Mom. So, as simple or silly as the reason seems..that's what did it for me! :)
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Mine is when I went on a date with a guy and i got out of the car and he texted me and said sorry *not my type* I had sent him current pics etc told him I was a bigger girl... it crushed me.. that someone could be that rude... i cried all the way home... then I got pissed.....

What a creep! You're better off!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've been trying on and off the last few years but this past christmas I had a picture taken (probably only one of few that wasn't just my face) with my girlfriend. I was so big standing next to her tiny frame she could hardly get her arms around me. I had also recently moved into an apartment that is on the second floor and couldn't make it up them with out huffing and puffing on the lastt few steps. I've only been at it about three weeks now but I can now make it up the steps without feeling like I'm dying. A minor victory but its the little things that keep me going.
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Photos. Who's big butt is that? Mine? NO WAY! Way.
    Clothes. I will NOT buy a bigger size of pants. I have a drawer full of pants that I should be able to wear.
    Stairs. Puff, puff, puff
    Energy. None.

The thing is, I don't feel like I'm as big as I am so I'm shocked when I see pictures of myself.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Photos. Who's big butt is that? Mine? NO WAY! Way.
    Clothes. I will NOT buy a bigger size of pants. I have a drawer full of pants that I should be able to wear.
    Stairs. Puff, puff, puff
    Energy. None.

The thing is, I don't feel like I'm as big as I am so I'm shocked when I see pictures of myself.

This made me laugh:laugh:
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    All of the above and none of them

I have hated myself for years, been miserable, out of breath, uncomfortable, the loud 'clown' to deflect attention from my weight. Undressed in the dark, covered myself up in the bath (hiding even from myself), avoided mirrors, bought elasticated everything, have a wardrobe full of all sorts of sizes, cut the labels out of new clothes, pretended to be fast asleep in bed rather than let 'him' see me, not believed complements ....

i could go on.

Through all of this I ate.

Suddenly after Christmas (and this scares me half to death) something clicked and i just stopped. Now i am eating sensibly and excercising more. But because i don't know what clicked I am terrified it will go away :(

Hey ho - i am trying to form new habits - good habits while i can :)
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and my doc tried to push meds on me. I wasn't going to be on meds that I didn't need in my 20s!

Oh yeah, I no longer have high blood pressure!
  • cute_cute
    Options
    My moment was when I cant find a dress for me. And when i go out with my husband I look like a sister to him. Boy i hate that. People make jokes abt me too. Very hurtful. Time to change

17587163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free W i cant find eight Loss Tools
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My ah-ha moment was when a male customer said to me "Looks like you've been putting on some weight!" Started MFP the very same day!
  • kristaloves2shop
    Options
    I used to be a social butterfly, but I have been avoiding it lately bc i hate the way I look to my other skinny friends :o/

Basically, my kick my booty into gear moment - - again!! - - was when I realized that I hated how unatractive I had become. I want to look at myself in the mirror and see a sexy woman again, not an overfed walrus named Sally.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and my doc tried to push meds on me. I wasn't going to be on meds that I didn't need in my 20s!

Oh yeah, I no longer have high blood pressure!

This. I went to the ER a few years ago for chest pains and was told I have hypertension. I was 20. That should have been my wake up call. Now its 5 years later and I feel bad all the time. Being tired aches and pains and being lazy. A few weeks ago I was just like this is crap. I'm so young, I could be that hot girl in the club if I had just started. Already I'm feeling better about myself and how I feel.
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MMm, a combination of things really, I put on a lot of weight due to serious illness and not being able to get out of bed for a year let alone exercise, really thought I would have to put up with being big, then I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I dont want to start taking strong meds yet so I made the decision to lose weight to help the joints.

Oh and bending down between a friends child gate, realising as I bent my bum really was as big as the gap spurred me on aswell lol
  • omgsplendid
    Options
    I resist going out places with anyone because I feel humongous next to them. I'm in college and I'm not doing anything because I'm ashamed of how my body looks! I refuse to wear shorts because I can't stand to see my thighs, and my arms in tank tops or my belly in crop tops look atrocious. This is a problem considering I live in a tropical climate. I set to work. I'm tired of looking at every girl I pass and being envious of her body.
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When my tummy covered my ________ and when I couldn't walk 3 miles (the length of the trail at the nearby park). I want to go to Disney World this summer and be able to walk the park and get on the rides.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    Let's see I had several:

I saw pictures from a horse show and couldn't believe how bad I looked. It was hot..and I didn't want to wear a coat. Later that year I went to another dressage show and wore my coat. I almost died of heat exhaustion...

I went to PV, Mexico. I went zip lining and there was lots of hiking involved. I was winded hiking up the mountains and people had to help me. I was very embarassed because I usually run up those hills. Getting into the boat with snorkeling...I didn't wnat to use the guy's leg becuase I was afraid of hurting him. Seeing pictures from Mexico.

When I bought my new horse the trianer found me a big one to handle my weight. Now I don't need a really big one but I do look very nice on him. The rest of the weight loss will refine our look more.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    When I went to the doctor's with my daugher and she burst into tears because she weighted 198 and she was 17. I swore from that point forward she wouldn't take the same path as me.
  • cschmidt45
    Options
    What a complete and utter *kitten* he was. Girl, you are far too good for him. Believe it.