Working full time AND working out?

Options
Hello everyone :)

I'm 18, last year I had dropped out of school, had nothing to do for 4 months, so I spent all my time at the gym and lost 8kg. This year I got a full time job, 9-5, and since I've started I've gained all that weight back :( I find it so hard to work out when I get home, I can barely stay awake at work all day when I get home at 6 30 all I want to do is eat dinner and flop!

The most I can manage is 20-30 minutes of walking every second or third day , but I feel I should be doing more.

My question is how do you balance your work life and your exercise? How do you stay motivated even when you have no energy? What time of day do you work out? I'm determined to do it but I'm finding it really difficult.

Thank you if you can help :)

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I look at the people around me who don't make excuses. One of my pals has 3 kids, is a grad student, has a job, and STILL works out regularly. If she can find the time, I damn sure can.

You have to ask yourself if you REALLY want it, and if the honest answer is yes, you make it happen. You have a lot of time to exercise if you carve out the time.

Edited to add: I workout WHENEVER I can. Mornings, afternoons, late night if needed. I work about 80 hours a week and I really push myself to make it happen. I know that on the days I say "I can't," it's bull****. The truth is always "I won't."
  • Topskin
    Topskin Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Katie

I'm 47 and know exactly what you mean about gettinh home exhausted!!

The only way I can manage is to get up early and do an hour at the gym every morning before work. I know the idea of getting up so early hurts, especially on these cold mornings, but I promise you when you arrive at work having worked out, filled with endorphins and freshly showered, the day somehow sems to go better!

Good luck

Paul
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I work 2 full time jobs and am a full time student. Tired is a way of life for me but I have found that if I get up just a little earlier and hit the gym before work I actually feel less tired at work. I had to make it a priority. I had to want it more than I wanted that extra hour of sleep. I don't allow myself to make excuses.
  • jennyafur
    jennyafur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work a full-time job (nights) and have two kids. I work out while my youngest is in preschool and while I am tired when I go into the gym. The way I motivate myself is I have certain tv shows that I will only watch while I work out. I always leave feeling better. You just have to find something to motivate you.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I get off work at 6. Come home change clothes immediately. 1/2 cup of coffee and snack. Gym. Home. Straight into shower. This saves time for tommorow. Prep dinner. Eat. Chill. Snack with movie or Tv. Bed. Wake up pack lunch. Go to work. Repeat. Take rest day or two if you workout on your days off. I workout 5 days per week with this method and don't feel disrupted by it. Oh and you will have more energy naturally. Eat all your cals and eat good food. Good luck!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am in law enforcement. I and many on here work shiftwork that wreak havoc on our systems. 9-5? I would pray for that shift!!! I maintain a full workout regimen. Sometimes I work dayshift, sometimes evenings, sometimes midnights. Sometimes a mix of all three in one week! You are very lucky! Dig deep inside. Nothing comes easy!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    nike was actually right. you just do it. it takes a bit to make it a habit. but then, before long, it's just part of your daily routine.

I work second shift. I don't get off until after midnight. so that's when I go to the gym. some nights I'm definitely tired. but you just make yourself get in there. and, generally, once you're in and on a machine, you can convince yourself to keep going. give yourself an initial goal of 'just 15 minutes.' I'll bet 9 out of 10 times you get to 15 and wind up staying on for at least 30.

most days, this isn't easy. but that's what makes it great when you succeed.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Saw this picture and really liked it. I'm copying the link because I'm to lazy to figure out how to post pictures:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/408956_402082183142700_129838360367085_1798531_977705498_n.jpg

Anyways, I work two jobs, have somewhat of a social life (lol) and still work out religiously. I used to do it last year too when I was a full time PhD student so NO EXCUSES! If you need to write it down on your planner so be it. You just have to make time for these things.

Also, if you find it hard to go to the gym just buy Insanity or P90X and do it at home. Remember that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise so just be more careful with what you eat.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last comment. It is much better to get up early and workout than to wait until after work. It may be hard in the beginning but you will get use to it and have so much more energy. I'm 46 years old. I work 48 hours a week. I attend college two mornings and one evening on my off day. I intern 10 hours a week and also make time for date night with my wife. I attend church ever Sunday morning at 8:30. I'm generally in the gym every morning between 5:45 and 7:00. So you have no excuse. You have to want it and I did. I weighed 200 lbs on November 18th, 2011 and now weight 173.6. I started MFP on January 27th and have not missed one day. I'm not bragging just trying to tell you that you must be dedicated and want it bad.. YOU WILL GET OUT OF LIFE WHAT YOU PUT IN IT!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    [ img ] http://www.flickr.com/photos/piperjon/6963610753/ [ /img ]

Not being harsh, this is the graphic that is on my desktop at work.
    I see it every day, and see it more if I wimp out on working out.
    It seems to keep me motivated...

That said, there are always days you just can't.
    But I find there are more days I can because i love the way I feel.

Just thoughts.
    Pj

++added. Clearly, I'm an idiot when it comes to posting pix. I tried it without the spaces in the brackets, and with. So go to the link, it'll make sense, lol

Peej
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i start work early, take an extra 30 mins at lunch and go in my lunch break. works well for me, great that my employer is flexible.
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I work full-time and go to school full time and go to the gym 5 times a week. I work out in the mornings before I can come up with an excuse to not go. It was REALLY hard at first but once I got my butt out of the bed I was reminded how great I felt after a workout and now it's my mood elevator for the rest of my crazy day. It can also be tough because morning workouts often mean sacrificing going out with friends at night but it's all about priorities.

If you want some extra motivation look around at the other people at your job, because chances are you aren't the only one who has gained some weight there. Except for a few genetically lucky people EVERYONE in my office is overweight and it shows, and I just look at them and decide I don't want that for myself. Especially when I'm only in my twenties.
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I work 2 full time jobs and am a full time student. Tired is a way of life for me but I have found that if I get up just a little earlier and hit the gym before work I actually feel less tired at work. I had to make it a priority. I had to want it more than I wanted that extra hour of sleep. I don't allow myself to make excuses.

Same here with feeling less tired at work. i actually wind up feeling less energetic if I sleep for that extra hour instead of work out. Weird but true.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I was working full time (I'm back in school now)...I didn't let myself go home. I carried a granola bar for a quick snack before working out and my gym clothes and went directly from work to the gym. I was always tired coming out of work but the second I started working out I perked right up.
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom, work full time, and work out regularly.
    For me its not how to fit fitness into my life. But how to arrange my life around the fitness.
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For some reason when i was working full time I found it easier to go to the gym and work out. I have been out of work for a while now and haven't worked out in months. I have gained about 17 pounds too. :( For me it was easier to keep going when i was out. Now that i'm home all day i never want to leave or do anything. Just sit around and eat all day.

I need a full time job again for so many reasons.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just gonna bump this thread for motivational purposes.

FWIW, I work 50-60 hours a week and find time to work out. I'm getting married in 6 weeks, and my schedule has gone from normal hectic to crazy, but I still fit in the workouts because they keep me sane and happy.

I tip my hat to those of you working multiple jobs, going to school, taking care of kids, etc and finding time to take care of you. You all are rock stars. <3
  • sproeber89
    Options
    I'm 22, work full time as an RN, am in school full time to get my bachelors degree, am planning my October wedding, and workout 6 days a week. Is it always easy? NO. But I decided that I need to do it. I have less times for my hobbies but it's a trade off. My daily schedule looks kind of like this (I work PM shift). Wake up at 8 am, do TurboFire, work on homework, if it's a gym day MWF go to the gym at 11 am then go to work 2-10:30, come home, do homework and spend time with my fiance. On my days off of work I spend time with friends, do wedding planning and continue to workout but also get my hobbies in.

Like I said, it was a trade off for me, I chose my health and give up some of my free time.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I work 9-6 myself and Bartend on Fridays. So I wake up at 6am for the gym then have the rest of the day for work and fun. Once you get the habit you'll be alright.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

I'm 18, last year I had dropped out of school, had nothing to do for 4 months, so I spent all my time at the gym and lost 8kg. This year I got a full time job, 9-5, and since I've started I've gained all that weight back :( I find it so hard to work out when I get home, I can barely stay awake at work all day when I get home at 6 30 all I want to do is eat dinner and flop!

The most I can manage is 20-30 minutes of walking every second or third day , but I feel I should be doing more.

My question is how do you balance your work life and your exercise? How do you stay motivated even when you have no energy? What time of day do you work out? I'm determined to do it but I'm finding it really difficult.

Thank you if you can help :)

Atm I am going to school full time, and working full time and I still work out 5-6 days a week. Just do it! I find I get tired after work so waking up at 530 even though I HATE mornings works well for me, spec since it legit gives me more energy and wakes me up better than coffee does!