HIIT cardio explained - A GREAT way to run

Options
Is it the best cardio for weight loss ?
While you can achieve your weight loss goal by combining diet, strength training, and even steady state cardio, HIIT can take your fat burning to the next level. IMO.

What is HIIT?

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training.
You work really hard for a short burst and then have an active recovery period.
You would repeat this workout routine numerous times for the best effect.

The Benefits of HIIT

Ramps up fat burning.
HIIT provides a great workout for your legs.
The intense intervals allow for the release of fatty acids into the bloodstream. Additionally, HIIT results in increased HGH levels.
Finally, and possibly most importantly, HIIT results in EPOC, an after-burn effect which causes you to burn calories for hours after your workout is completed.

Sprint Interval Length

There are a few components of HIIT that you can vary. The first is the length of the sprint intervals. Shorter intervals of 15-30 seconds allow you to exert more effort during the sprints. This increased level of effort will result in a stronger release of HGH. Additionally, these shorter intervals will release more fatty acids into the bloodstream.

Longer intervals of greater than 30 seconds require more perceived effort. These result in a greater number of calories burned. Additionally, these longer intervals deplete glycogen levels (carbs) allowing your body to burn more fat after the completion of a workout.

Recovery Length

The recovery length also impacts the effects of HIIT. This is the walking or jogging portion of the workout that allows your muscles time to recover.
The length of recovery is relative to the sprint interval. If you sprint for 30 seconds and recovery for 30 seconds, the ratio is 1:1If you sprint for 15 seconds and recover for 45 seconds, the ratio is 3:1.

The longer the recovery in relation to the sprint interval (2 or 3:1), the more effort you can exert in the next interval.
This increased effort will again result in a stronger HGH release.
Additionally, longer recovery reduces the risk of overtraining.

A short recovery relative to the sprint interval (1:1) results in lactic acid buildup, glycogen depletion, and a greater after-burn effect (EPOC).
However, this can lead to a greater risk of overtraining.

The first phase

The first part of the workout is short interval HIIT with a long recovery ratio.
For these intervals, you sprint 15 seconds and recover (jog) for 45 seconds.

You can beging with a warm up for 2 minutes and then perform 8 sets of this type of HIIT for a total workout of 10 minutes.

For the second phase, You could perform 25 minutes of steady state cardio (light paced jog)
This provides an active recovery for your muscles.

The final phase
Is performing long interval HIIT with short recovery periods.
This will fully deplete your body of glycogen allowing for a greater after-burn effect and fat burning once your workout is complete. You could perform 1 minute sprint intervals with 1 minute of jogging.

The sprint intervals for this portion are not as intense as the first phase, by necessity as your muscles will be slightly tired. It’s best to keep this final phase to around 10 minutes as well.

So there you have a 45 minute HIIT workout that I believe is the best cardio for weight loss. This routine should allow you to burn belly fat fast no matter how close or far you are from your ideal weight.

I personally love HIIT cardio, I'm currently doingit 2X a week, and getting great results.

This post is entirely a quote from another site but I love HIIT training and wanted everyone to have an explanation of how to do it. I find it helps me to push myself to new higher running speeds and makes the lower speeds seem easier day by day. It also helps by keeping me from getting shin splints from constant pounding of a static pace for really long runs while still giving you great burn numbers. I hope everyone tries it and loves it as much as I do.

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article - I've been running 3 miles 3 times a week (C25K grad), but maybe I should try this sometimes. I have heard intervals can really help you increase your pace as well.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump to read this evening, thanks for this!
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I love love love love LOVE HIIT. Its an amazing workout (when you do it right) and you get a super calorie burn in less time than with steady state cardio, AND a better afterburn, as your body recovers. You can do it with pretty much any cardio, not just running. Just push yourself as hard as you can for a set amount of time, then recover for a set amount of time, and repeat a couple of times.
  • KimKramer
    KimKramer Posts: 44
    Options
    I LOVE HIIT!! I have been using this interval training method for a few weeks and have noticed inches melt off!! I finish with more energy than if I did a straight 4mile run.....highly recommend :)
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    I do a mixture of C25k and HIIT. It seems to be helpful especially with me working on my speed.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    fantastic article.. I've been trying this on my own but not really timing anything which does sound like a critical part so will now try this..thanks so much for sharing!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I love (hate) my HIITS, I do them every Tuesday and Thursday followed by my strength training. They make me *very* sore, but greatly increase my energy throughout the day and help me build endurance for my long runs (Wednesdays, Fridays) and *really* long runs (Sundays).
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    bump
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I LOVE HIIT training!!!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this.
    I have been doing this sort of thing on the treadmill but now I can do it properly !!!
  • reenmelbs
    reenmelbs Posts: 14
    Options
    I've just started them, second time tonight! They actually feel more 'natural' for me than long jogs, my only problem is the dog can't keep up with my sprints :P

Little question, I seem to be a night runner ( cover of darkness and all..) though does this change anything? Would it make much difference if I ran in the morning?
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I gotta try these sometime.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I love love love love LOVE HIIT. Its an amazing workout (when you do it right) and you get a super calorie burn in less time than with steady state cardio, AND a better afterburn, as your body recovers. You can do it with pretty much any cardio, not just running. Just push yourself as hard as you can for a set amount of time, then recover for a set amount of time, and repeat a couple of times.

Good to know we non-runners can use this method as well. I'm just thrilled to be increasing my walking distance--running isn't in the picture---yet :)
  • RainbowBrite86
    RainbowBrite86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT, just did one this morning :D
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Love HIIT and when I run my 3-4 miles I'm doing it in intervals too. Calorie burn is greater and I'm feeling better than running 40 mins the same pace.
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've just started them, second time tonight! They actually feel more 'natural' for me than long jogs, my only problem is the dog can't keep up with my sprints :P

Little question, I seem to be a night runner ( cover of darkness and all..) though does this change anything? Would it make much difference if I ran in the morning?

If you do this late at night it may interfere with your sleep pattern (too "pumped up"). By doing this earlier in the day, it will give you more energy throughout the day and you'll be able to sleep better at night.