Replies

• katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :happy: triple bump!!
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    bump (going to have to figure out how I'm going to try this)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For those curious but not commenting about perhaps not trying it, here's one research among many that shows why this can be useful for your weight loss goals.
    Since you are hopefully lifting too - this will allow you to show off those muscles better sooner.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

After a 5 week conditioning period on a recumbent cycle, The High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) group perform sprints while the Endurance Training (ET) group performed a more traditional aerobic protocol, throughout the remaining 15 weeks.

Both groups progressed in intensity.

At the conclusion of the study, the HIIT group lost over 3 times as much subcutaneous fat as the ET group despite expending less than half as many calories.

For every calorie expended during HIIT, there was a nine fold loss of subcutaneous body fat, as compared to the ET group.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    In short HIT training is the most effective long term through out the day due to the fact that these types of intervals increase the bodies metabolism over a much longer time span then any other types of exercise as we know of today. I personally do tabatas 2x's a week and I can tell you that it is the worst 4 min of hell I have ever experienced. It is said that if you are not gasping for air after the 4 min you didn't go hard enough.

It needs to also be said that one needs to be sure that that their body can handle this type of rigorous form of training. Seen more then once that a person has not fully warmed up and injuries happen.

Great write up though... A+
  • Teenytiny07
    Teenytiny07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Just started doing HIIT workouts this month and i looooove them. Great way to wake up in the morning and I don't ever dread doing them. http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/ here is a good timer for those without a smart phone that want to try it at home.

Have yet to try it on the treadmill though! Thanks for the info.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Did this for the first time today! I have no idea how some of you out there can sprint at 12mph...I started my first sprint at 8.0mph and almost flew off the treadmill haha! So I had to keep my "sprints" at 7.5mph. Guess I just have to work my way up.

I would not recommend this type of training on a treadmill, you need to push yourself so hard that you will probably be unstable.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Just honestly wondering - what is the difference between HIIT and fartlek training in running? Is there a difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

Did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml

http://www.fitnessandpower.com/training/cardiovascular-exercises/219-fartlek-training

Seems the big difference is HIIT is more regimented in terms of timing your periods of high intensity and recovery, whereas in fartlek training is less structured and more adjustable.

timing is NOT that essential. The aim is to push yourself to your max for as long as you can. Timing just helps some people because it's too easy to quit during an intense interval
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Did this for the first time today! I have no idea how some of you out there can sprint at 12mph...I started my first sprint at 8.0mph and almost flew off the treadmill haha! So I had to keep my "sprints" at 7.5mph. Guess I just have to work my way up.

I would not recommend this type of training on a treadmill, you need to push yourself so hard that you will probably be unstable.

^^^ Very much agreed...... The only equipment that i can do these types of intervals on is a bike or rowing machine. Even a stair machine doesnt work well.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thank you !!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I am a big advocate of HIIT! It is great for increasing your overall fitness, training your nervous system and increasing your VO2 which will benefit you in most other fitness activities so I'm supportive overall of this thread. One question you posted in your first post is whether HIIT is the best cardio for overall weight loss. This is analyzed in articles from Body Recomposition that I'm posting the link to the first one here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-1.html

There are multiple articles on it and this is the first one.
    McDonald thinks the EPOC benefit of intervals is overstated and thinks for pure fat burning steady state is slightly better overall. He doesn't discount HIIT. Just says it's one great tool in whole arsenal of ftness tool that should make up a total fitnes program include some traditional steady state cardio like running or biking as well as strength training. Interesting reading.

PS: Shout out to my HIIT buddy zafferFL! How's things down in O town bro?
  • mack1238
    mack1238 Posts: 11
    Options
    bump
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • susan1024
    susan1024 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I'm definitely going to give this a try.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I was reading this and thinking uhh, i've read this somewhere else,lol. I believe credit should be given where it's due. If i'm correct (and i may not be) I've read this on this blog-notyouraveragefitnesstips.com. I learned about HIIT by that blog too and was very excited and now i do it 3x a week with bodyrock workouts!! I've still got much to lose but i feel strong and fit and am working on getting the 60 lbs off in a healthy way and i feel this is great to maintain muscle as i lose.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT although I probably do it more the Fartlek style, i.e. no set timing for the intervals. Oh, I'll set a time goal but I'll adjust it throughout the workout. For example, I might do 60-seconds as fast as I can go and then back off and only need a 30-second rest but, as the workout goes on and I've done numerous cycles, I might need 60-90 seconds rest. And I usually get where I can only do 30 seconds all out at max after several cycles.I also change my resistance and/or incline and and that changes my intensity.

Like if I'm doing it on the elliptical, I might do my first 60s at 10-incline/8-resistance, then do my next at 20-incline/12-resistance, then back off and do 8-incline/5-resistance, and so on. Obviously, the more resistance the slower I'm going but it still takes all my effort. I do similar on the bike with different resistance levels which then determine how fast I can pedal.

I can only work to my utmost intensity on either the elliptical or exercise bike because I tend to need to lean over the handle-bars and close my eyes and then count in my head, just opening my eyes when I reach the count of 30 or 60 to see how close I am to the clock and then close my eyes and count a bit more until I'm done with that set. If my eyes are closed, I just can't do it as intensely for some reason.

I love it. It's a great workout. And, while I don't track, I do know that I'm able to do more and more cycles at higher intensity levels as time goes on. So much more fun than steady-state.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT although I probably do it more the Fartlek style, i.e. no set timing for the intervals. Oh, I'll set a time goal but I'll adjust it throughout the workout. For example, I might do 60-seconds as fast as I can go and then back off and only need a 30-second rest but, as the workout goes on and I've done numerous cycles, I might need 60-90 seconds rest. And I usually get where I can only do 30 seconds all out at max after several cycles.I also change my resistance and/or incline and and that changes my intensity.

Like if I'm doing it on the elliptical, I might do my first 60s at 10-incline/8-resistance, then do my next at 20-incline/12-resistance, then back off and do 8-incline/5-resistance, and so on. Obviously, the more resistance the slower I'm going but it still takes all my effort. I do similar on the bike with different resistance levels which then determine how fast I can pedal.

I can only work to my utmost intensity on either the elliptical or exercise bike because I tend to need to lean over the handle-bars and close my eyes and then count in my head, just opening my eyes when I reach the count of 30 or 60 to see how close I am to the clock and then close my eyes and count a bit more until I'm done with that set. If my eyes are closed, I just can't do it as intensely for some reason.

I love it. It's a great workout. And, while I don't track, I do know that I'm able to do more and more cycles at higher intensity levels as time goes on. So much more fun than steady-state.

Hahahaha, I do that close my eyes thing too! I've been know to draw looks at the gym when I'm hoping I'm towards the end of an interval and I'm just in the middle but sucking air and burning in the legs and I say something out loud like, " you've got to be kidding!". I also agree that it is more fun than steady state and more time efficient too. Comparable total burn from steady state is something like 45 minutes. I still do steady state a times or two a week at various intensities as part of my plan but I always look forward to HIIT days!