too full to eat my cals

Options

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have never had this problem! I eat like a growing teenage boy and thoroughly enjoy earning more calories from exercise :) I agree with the poster that said try to increase slowly and like you said having a glass of milk or something will up your calories.

I wish I could eat it all back easily, seems strange that Im on a weight loss site having problems eating enough ...... hmmmmm

Ive reached 602 cals today need another 598 :-/ thats allot of milk lol :)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I posted abut this same problem earlier. I uped my calories to 1300, and a lot of the times i'm shy by 50-60 calories. Don't even get me started on exercise. I do 900 calories burns a 5x a week. It was suggested that I add things like nut butter, milk to protien powder instead of water, more veggies, etc. Hope you find the answer your looking for becuase I'm stil trying to define it for myself!
  • lpaeplow
    lpaeplow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Been there...done that! I was eating about 600-800 calories per day. At first I was losing weight regularly, then I hit a brick wall. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing with only consuming that many calories--I actually started gaining weight! Then a lot of folks on MFP explained that I was underating, and my body was going into starvation mode. My body was trying to store every calorie out of fear it wasn't going to get anymore/enough.

Since then, I have modified my eating to about 1000-1100 calories per day...and guess what? The weight has started coming off again! Apparently, our bodies need at least that much to function. So, I'm hoping for a slower, but steadier, weight loss now!

God bless.
  • lpaeplow
    lpaeplow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    correction: "undereating", not "underating"!
    :blushing:
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you eat too few calories, your body thinks it is starving and slows the metabolism way down to conserve energy. That in turn, will hamper your weight loss.

I am allowed 1500 calories a day. I rarely eat that much but, if I eat less than 1200 cal, MFP will alert me that I am eating too few and risk going into starvation mode.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I can see that today you ate half a poached egg for breakfast. Try to eat a whole egg for breakfast will add some calories. Also, you pretty much skipped lunch - just a yoghurt. We all need to find what works for us, but if you want to carefully add calories each day try to have a healthy lunch as well. I really like a tortilla wrap with some light cream cheese, chicken and salad. Really quick to make and I can wrap it up and take it with me to eat at work. And like others have said, adding a handful of nuts as a snack will give you good protein and healthy fats as well as boost your calories. Good luck!
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    It's definitely not a lack of protein, seems like a lot of you meals consist of a small amount of chicken with some veg.

Throw some potatoes in there for a start.

Also, have a proper breakfast instead of just a yoghurt or something. Have a bowl of mueslli maybe.

And eat some fats as well - looks like you have a really low fat diet. That's an easy way to add calories.

Maybe make some home made chips - just put them on a baking dray and rub them with olive oil. Healthy as but could help make up for what you're lacking.

Also maybe add in some rice and/or pasta to your meals.

I wouldnt have though protein was an issue, I always get close to or over my "allowance" Guilty! I do have allot of chicken and veg meals, from stirfrys to currys lol,

Tonight I Just had salmon and potatoes for dinner :) so thats some potato :D

In the mornings I'M not very good at eating, it makes me fell a little queezy ... so I sometimes go for a yogurt cause its easy to eat, although the last cpl of days I have managed poached egg on toast, .yay me

My diet is very low fat, I could up fats but I'M no good with the "healthy fats" although a few ppl have suggested nuts ... sounds about right .... I do eat rice and pasta also, although I think only once since starting to log here
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is what I do to help me get 2700 calories a day.

Step 1 - Grab Spoon
    Step 2 - Grab Peanut Butter Jar
    Step 3 - Insert spoon into jar
    Step 4 - Eat spoon full of peanut butter
    Step 5 - Repeat one more time.

I apologize I didn't get to read all the answer, but if you have trouble getting calories, you need to eat higher calorie foods. Start cooking stuff in extra virgin olive oil, eating peanuts, protein shakes, etc... Your body can't distinguish calories but rather quantity.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question I have no idea if I eat 300 cals of carbs .... my total carbs come to from 90-150 each day ... I dont know if that means cals or grams?

Your goal is set to 180 calories worth of carbs.

You are losing muscle mass. Not what you are using.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I am been having the EXACT same problem

I am on 1200 calories plan as well, and I only eat between 750-900 :-(

I have been trying to eat more food but it doesn't stay down and it feels like I am just forcing myself to eat

Its horrible trying to force feed yourself when your belly it shouting "FULL" lol I'M making a list for the shop :) nuts and avocado is first on the list :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Vegetable oil in your cooking would be an easy way to add a couple of hundred calories every day - and your body does need some oil! Other than that, could you snack on a slice of cheese or some nuts?

Rather than Vegetable oil i would opt for olive oil.

with me personally if i don't have a salad to pour oil over then i just cook my food as i normally would and just have a tablespoon of olive oil... it goes down real easy!

Olive oil is one of the vegetable oils! The reason I didn't specify a particular one is because it depends what she's using it for. I always use virgin olive oil for dressing salads, but you shouldn't heat it to high temperatures - for that sunflower or rapeseed are better.

yup those are the ones I would use when I need oil :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Hi there,

I didn't read through everyone's comments, so I hope my observations are not a repeat.

1) Add a handful of raw nuts or seeds (not oiled and roasted!). They have many essential phytonutrients AND add fast, easy delicious calories.

2) I don't see whole grains. Switching to all 100% whole grains (rice, cereals, breads) helps lots of things.

3) Keep up the veggies, or plants, and add even more. Avocados and olives are high in calories.

4) Fruits? A fruit can easily add some very healthy calories.

Wishing you success!

Raihn

avocados, olives, nuts and seeds on my shopping list now :D I dont tend to use whole grains (basically because Im cooing for kids as well as me) so tend to stick to things they will eat, I eat fruits also and TY its allot to take in x
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I am kinda the same I eat a total of 1000-1200 a day and rarely eat my calories back. I always feel full of sick( also trying to drink 10 glasses of water a day) but what I do if I need extra calories is drink juice. It's a liquid so it won't overly fill u up and it gas alot of calories

Its a horrible feeling to feel sick when eating (especially since we are all trying to loose weight) :ohwell:

I never thought to make it up in drinks Maybe a cpl glasses of milk is my answer then not too filling but makes up a few cals :smile:

If I have a lot of calories left I like to have a milky drink before bed - helps me to sleep.

I really like hot milk so thats a deffo winner for me :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Hello, it's me again.

I wanted to add that I would not add oil of any kind but what comes in "plant" food.
    Oils are a processed food that don't do us any favors. The oils in nuts, seeds, avocados and olives are great sources of the best oils.

Thanks, and again, wishing you much success,

Raihn

thanks again, the oil I have at home is olive and sunflower .... I love olives :D hope your loss is going well also :)
  • ginlanny
    ginlanny Posts: 1
    Options
    It also looks like you are not drinking enough water. drinking the proper amount of water will flush your system and you won't feel bloated. you are eating the right thngs. Try to make sure that your meals are spread out-which will allow you to feel hungry more often-allowing for the smaller meals. I usually don't eat th efull amount of calories especially when I exercise, but I try to stay close to or under the 1200 allowed for my weight/height/age. Happy weight loss!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm always perplexed at these kinds of threads on a weight loss site. Where we got here by over eating...and yet we are struggling to hit 1000 calories? I feel like I'm in some kind of alternate universe. I agree about Mr. Peanut Butter. He's a GOOOOD guy to know. YUM>
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    A nutritionist would tell you to eat 100-200 calories more every day or every other day until you reach your goal intake. I had to do this myself. I was anorexic before, and started bingeing and gained a ton of weight (at the time, binges were like 1600 calorie days!) now I eat my BMR and then some... I went from having negative NET calories to being about 1200-1400 after exercise, but I did it slowly. Gained 4 pounds but then dropped 5 in a week after that, so just be patient, and don't watch the scale too closely as you increase... Once your body adjusts and you are at the right level, it will drop. Most weight gained during refeeding is water weight anyway :)

Ive been losing steadily at my normal intake .... Really my big issue is long term health .... Ill add on slowly and see how that goes, so if I can get to 1000 every night its a good start .... 280 to go now lol, although im full at the moment and its 9 30PM here lol.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Eat more fat. A lot of calories for not a lot of volume of food.

You can drizzle some olive oil on all those veggies you're eating.

The veg Im eating are normally in a home cooked meal or home made soup, I rarely eat raw veg, But I guess I could add some oil to my recipes, I tend to leave oil out when cooking , maybe thats one of my issues :)

You're supposed to have some oil everyday (weight watchers, 17 day diet, and other diets suggest this) b/c it helps with digestion. it helps things come out lol. and it helps keep you regular. don't just use all those fatty oils. Make sure it's extra virgin olive oil. :)

Ive never went to any weight classes, or done any other diets where your given info ..... I tend to cal count on my own, so its difficult to find all this out, thanks Ill take that on board :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Take milk (vitamin D since you have the calories), chocolate protein powder (or cocoa powder or chocolate syrup), peanut butter (you can also put in nutella like a boss since it's...well...delicious, and you have the calories), and banana and put in a blender.
    Turn blender on
    Drink contents produced from blender

I've had 1200 calorie shakes with just those ingredients alone. I don't imagine you'll be hitting that many calories since you have a problem with fullness, but it's a start.

You can also add cheese and butter to a lot of dishes to increase calories without increasing volume by too much.

The MFP targets for protein are generally pretty low, try to surpass them. My needs will be greater than yours (I'm assuming) since I likely weigh a whole lot more than you and I'm on a pretty rigorous lifting schedule right now, but I shoot for between 175 and 225 grams of protein a day, depending.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Are you eating really voluminous foods? If you eat 100 calories of broccoli, well, that's a ton of food in your stomach.

I dont think so, heres todays food (717 cals)

BREAKY
    Poached, 0.5 egg
    Bread - Soft Grained - Warburtons, 42 g
    Tea With Milk, 1 cup

LUNCH
    Tea With Milk, 1 cup
    Yogurt - Tesco - Low Fat - 125g Pot,

DINNER
    Salmon parcel with (Chillies - Chopped, 1 g, Peppers - Red, 20 g, Leek , 14 g, Salmon - Pink , 106 g and Lime Juice, 15 ml) mash potato with (Spring Onions, 5 g, Potato - White, 200 g, Milk - Semi Skimmed, 20 ml)
    Tea With Milk, 1 cup

SNACK
    Yogurt - Tesco - Low Fat - 125g Pot,
    Tea With Milk, 1 cup