too full to eat my cals

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, you need to spend time researching fat. Fat is not bad for you and it doesnt make you fat. The only thing that makes you fat is excess calories above your tdee. Also, the only thing you do by having a huge caloric deficit is maintain your body fat. You will slow your metabolism and the moment you start to eat you will gain all the weight and more. And then you will ask how to repair a metabolism.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    why just half an egg? Why just a yoghurt for lunch? Try and space out your calories fairly evenly between meals - have a bigger breakfast and an actual lunch and you are well on the way.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You seem to be really scared of eating anything with fat in it. There is a difference between nutritional fat and body fat. You NEED at least some fats in your diet - they aid digestion and trigger fullness, as well as being good for your skin, nails, hair, brain function, and eyesight. Research healthy sources of fat: nuts and natural nut butters, avocado, salmon, olive/canola/safflower oils. A little goes a long way without adding a lot of volume to your food. You might consider an omega-3 supplement too.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have a gluten issue.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Vegetable oil in your cooking would be an easy way to add a couple of hundred calories every day - and your body does need some oil! Other than that, could you snack on a slice of cheese or some nuts?

I even drain off excess fat when cooking lol ....

I was looking at nut selections in the supermarket yesterday thats another option :) ty

cheese noooooooooo lol ... that along with butter is on my "do not eat till at my weight list"

You don't have to wait until your goal weight, you could add some cheeses and butter now - it's not the fat that makes you fat, it's excess calories.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I posted abut this same problem earlier. I uped my calories to 1300, and a lot of the times i'm shy by 50-60 calories. Don't even get me started on exercise. I do 900 calories burns a 5x a week. It was suggested that I add things like nut butter, milk to protien powder instead of water, more veggies, etc. Hope you find the answer your looking for becuase I'm stil trying to define it for myself!

Thanks, wish you luck too ... nuts, seeds, acocado and olives seem to be mentioned allot for cals and "good fats" Im going to give that a go, cant hurt I guess :)

even when not dieting I dont cook with oil (unless its necessary) and I will cook with it now if needed, so thats not a change Ive made for my diet thats normal life here I also drain all fat off everything while cooking ....
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Exactly, fat is good. I used to work with a girl who had an eating disorder, she wasn't drastically underweight but she had so little fat in her diet that her hair was brittle and breaking, her nails were frail and her skin really dry.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Been there...done that! I was eating about 600-800 calories per day. At first I was losing weight regularly, then I hit a brick wall. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing with only consuming that many calories--I actually started gaining weight! Then a lot of folks on MFP explained that I was underating, and my body was going into starvation mode. My body was trying to store every calorie out of fear it wasn't going to get anymore/enough.

Since then, I have modified my eating to about 1000-1100 calories per day...and guess what? The weight has started coming off again! Apparently, our bodies need at least that much to function. So, I'm hoping for a slower, but steadier, weight loss now!

God bless.

I hit the brick wall last year I lost 2 stone, I was finding it hard to lose another pound so I decided to take time off of the diet (i thought it was because I had become bored with it) so anyway I took about 10mnths to a year off and attempted to maintain my weight ..... which I managed :D yay me ......

now Im back on it and trying to lose the last of my weight ,26lbs when I started ,,,, Ive lost 2 so far but my second weigh in is on sat ... fingers crossed.

I sneaky peeked at the scales today thou and should be another 2lbs on sat hehe shhhh dont tell anyone lol x
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    If you eat too few calories, your body thinks it is starving and slows the metabolism way down to conserve energy. That in turn, will hamper your weight loss.

I am allowed 1500 calories a day. I rarely eat that much but, if I eat less than 1200 cal, MFP will alert me that I am eating too few and risk going into starvation mode.

its 1200 I trying to get up to .... but how can you force feed when your tummy is saying "no more im full" lol
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I can see that today you ate half a poached egg for breakfast. Try to eat a whole egg for breakfast will add some calories. Also, you pretty much skipped lunch - just a yoghurt. We all need to find what works for us, but if you want to carefully add calories each day try to have a healthy lunch as well. I really like a tortilla wrap with some light cream cheese, chicken and salad. Really quick to make and I can wrap it up and take it with me to eat at work. And like others have said, adding a handful of nuts as a snack will give you good protein and healthy fats as well as boost your calories. Good luck!

It was a whole "small" egg thats why I logged it as 1/2 an egg I normally buy lrg eggs so I had added a food for lrg eggs, and then when I went to make the poached egg I noticed it was half size lol hence the 0.5 :)

Yeah I only ate the youg for lunch because I was feeling ill eating up to my 1200 cals the night before :( I couldnt face anything other than the youg :(

The nuts n seeds are deffo sounding like the big winner here, I remember I used to eat them last year when I done the first half of my weight loss ... just need to get to the shop now :) and I need to try avocado ... Ive never even tasted it :)

good luck to you also :D
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Here is what I do to help me get 2700 calories a day.

Step 1 - Grab Spoon
    Step 2 - Grab Peanut Butter Jar
    Step 3 - Insert spoon into jar
    Step 4 - Eat spoon full of peanut butter
    Step 5 - Repeat one more time.

I apologize I didn't get to read all the answer, but if you have trouble getting calories, you need to eat higher calorie foods. Start cooking stuff in extra virgin olive oil, eating peanuts, protein shakes, etc... Your body can't distinguish calories but rather quantity.

lol thats fine till your belly wont let any more in :P .... nuts it is :) ty
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I read your thread topic as "too full to eat my cats" and I can't stop laughing.

I know a bunch of people in the primal/paleo communities who swear by eating a tablespoon or two of coconut oil per day. I haven't tried it myself but they say it's helped their digestion and adds some good fats to the diet.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    It also looks like you are not drinking enough water. drinking the proper amount of water will flush your system and you won't feel bloated. you are eating the right thngs. Try to make sure that your meals are spread out-which will allow you to feel hungry more often-allowing for the smaller meals. I usually don't eat th efull amount of calories especially when I exercise, but I try to stay close to or under the 1200 allowed for my weight/height/age. Happy weight loss!

I dont like water, lol but Ive been averaging 6 cups a day Im now on 4 for today with another 2 before bed :) the meals are spread out also ... Ive only went over once since joining and that was on a sat night and it was drink that done it :O

good luck :)
  • ashjonnatp
    Options
    do you work out?? i dont know how id survive eating such little calories and lifting and cardio i would die!! = ) but if your not hungry who cares do what works for you i guess!
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I'm always perplexed at these kinds of threads on a weight loss site. Where we got here by over eating...and yet we are struggling to hit 1000 calories? I feel like I'm in some kind of alternate universe. I agree about Mr. Peanut Butter. He's a GOOOOD guy to know. YUM>

well balanced foods have less cals/fat ....

Im a dairy freak :) cheese (lots of different kinds), butter, milk (full fat of course), cream (yum yum) cottage cheese, mayo (spread on everything), ... lol
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Take milk (vitamin D since you have the calories), chocolate protein powder (or cocoa powder or chocolate syrup), peanut butter (you can also put in nutella like a boss since it's...well...delicious, and you have the calories), and banana and put in a blender.
    Turn blender on
    Drink contents produced from blender

I've had 1200 calorie shakes with just those ingredients alone. I don't imagine you'll be hitting that many calories since you have a problem with fullness, but it's a start.

You can also add cheese and butter to a lot of dishes to increase calories without increasing volume by too much.

The MFP targets for protein are generally pretty low, try to surpass them. My needs will be greater than yours (I'm assuming) since I likely weigh a whole lot more than you and I'm on a pretty rigorous lifting schedule right now, but I shoot for between 175 and 225 grams of protein a day, depending.

lol sounds like a nice drink :) ty certainly wouldnt want a 1200 cal one :O but a 300 cal would help me out most days :D ... noted on the protein ill take that into account :) the nuts n seeds Im about to buy will help me smash through that protein target

good luck :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should eat your allotted cals every day!

Well according to MFP I am allowed 1200 cals (before exercise) and I (on a normal day) eat about 850-950, On the wee

If I exercise I DO NOT eat back the burned cals (in all honesty I only eat when I am hungry)

I tried to change this yesterday by eating 1200 cals (I got to 1150), I also done a cal burn of 540 (which I didnt eat back) and today I feel sooooooo bloated and full that every mouthful I eat is a struggle.

Any ideas why?

I have opened my food diary to the public for this question if you want to have a look :) I genuinely need some help here. :flowerforyou:

It could be that your body has gotten used to the low calories.

if increasing them suddenly is too much for you, do it slowly, 100 calories extra this week, another 100 net week etc.

Good Luck.

This. When I started I was used to eating around 700 calories and eating more was difficult. I added a little bit more food to each meal and then tried to add in snacks. Within a couple of weeks I was eating 1500 calories plus exercise calories with no problem. My body just needed some time to adjust to eating the right amount of food.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Also, you need to spend time researching fat. Fat is not bad for you and it doesnt make you fat. The only thing that makes you fat is excess calories above your tdee. Also, the only thing you do by having a huge caloric deficit is maintain your body fat. You will slow your metabolism and the moment you start to eat you will gain all the weight and more. And then you will ask how to repair a metabolism.

My diet used to be high fat, so I went the total opposite from that to correct my weight, its now become habit over the last 18 months just to be low fat :) Im not missing the fatty foods so I dont think to add them .....
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    why just half an egg? Why just a yoghurt for lunch? Try and space out your calories fairly evenly between meals - have a bigger breakfast and an actual lunch and you are well on the way.

it was 1 small egg ... I had written in my foods the food facts for a large egg, so because the egg was small I just put 0.5 rather than looking for another egg :) Only the yogurt for lunch was because I was feeling very full ... hence this post :)

I normally space my meals out :D
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    You seem to be really scared of eating anything with fat in it. There is a difference between nutritional fat and body fat. You NEED at least some fats in your diet - they aid digestion and trigger fullness, as well as being good for your skin, nails, hair, brain function, and eyesight. Research healthy sources of fat: nuts and natural nut butters, avocado, salmon, olive/canola/safflower oils. A little goes a long way without adding a lot of volume to your food. You might consider an omega-3 supplement too.

your not the first to mention nuts, Im deffo going to go for that,

yes I do have a very low fat diet , I started it 18 months ago, cut oil, butter cheese (almost completely out of my diet) and other fatty foods also got left behind, I dont miss the fatty foods so I wouldnt re add them ...

feeling full isnt an issue on my current diet, its feeling too full thats the problem :( I have salmon about once a week for dinner (in fact had that tonight) I'M going to be re introducing sardines for lunch times also :)

this avocado sounds quite popular, and ive never tasted one :O

ty :)