Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat and put away the damn sc

Options

Replies

• maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

Exactly.

Except for that one lady.

LOL, I've seen posts where people say they are eating right and exercising and still gaining weight and some people respond that it must be muscle weight...I think that is what he is referring to and yes some people ARE that stupid....
  • madhusky
    madhusky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    finally someone that makes sense! i've been telling people this for ages and they never believed me! thank you!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Density.. look it up
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    Care to post an example of someone on here claiming that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat? I think you're "dispelling a myth" that doesn't exist.

It's pretty much universally understood that the concept is "by volume". This point is so obvious that no one even bothers clarifying it, because everyone already knows this.

No, not really. I already got it off my chest what I had to say. Not here to argue, just stating obvious facts.

I love how everyone are mind readers now and can easily decode what someone is really saying over a forum since it is so "universally" known.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You-must-be-new-here.jpg
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Preeeeaaaaaccchhhh!

I weigh myself, yes, but I'm not all that worried about the # on the scale. I get a body comp test done every few months to check my progress---and I go by how my clothes fit. I know I will never weigh 120 lbs with the way that I work out (lifting and distance running) and the way that I eat to support my exercise and that's just fine by me!
  • madhusky
    madhusky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a lady who told me that a pound of muscle weighed more than a pound of fat... Yup! I had to walk away from the stupidness!
    ha ha there are sooo many stupid people like this! & i laugh at them! (out loud)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much space 5 lbs. of hot air takes up.........hmmmm Stupifyied
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    Well, let's say it like it is. I do not know the educational level of any of the people on this site. When someone posts that muscle weighs more than fat, someone will probably take that as what they are saying.....literally. I see it all the time when someone posts about being bummed that they did not lose any weight this week. You always have someone post about how they probably gained muscle instead and muscle weighs more than fat. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And for someone that is emotionally attached to the scale, they are not going to understand what they are trying to really say.

I'll give you that. Way too many people on this site respond with "oh you're just gaining muscle" Um no, you don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
    But it's been hashed and rehashed on here so many times, it's unreal.

I guess I am bringing up an old subject then. Maybe I'll do a search to see all the older posts. I'm new on the forums.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Well, let's say it like it is. I do not know the educational level of any of the people on this site. When someone posts that muscle weighs more than fat, someone will probably take that as what they are saying.....literally. I see it all the time when someone posts about being bummed that they did not lose any weight this week. You always have someone post about how they probably gained muscle instead and muscle weighs more than fat. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And for someone that is emotionally attached to the scale, they are not going to understand what they are trying to really say.

Well I guess if you assume everyone is an idiot then yes you might have spell it out for them. MOST people understand the meaning. I find it amusing that some people put so much time and energy letting trivial thing bother them. Just relax and breath, it will be ok.
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    i think some of you give eachother more credit than they deserve. some dip s*its really do think that muscle honestly weighs more than fat. don't give people too much credit. most of them really are that stupid. :smile:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Holy ****. The number of posts like this is getting out of control. You're beating a dead horse for the 50 millionth time. We get it. 1 pound = 1 pound. 1 is equal to 1, 2 is equal to 2, etc.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    You-must-be-new-here.jpg

lol, I am.
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    BUMP
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

Sssshhhh. Yes someone does and if you say it, she will come. :noway:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options

I'll give you that. Way too many people on this site respond with "oh you're just gaining muscle" Um no, you don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
    But it's been hashed and rehashed on here so many times, it's unreal.

I guess I am bringing up an old subject then. Maybe I'll do a search to see all the older posts. I'm new on the forums.

Yes, the search function in the forums is very useful.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    But does 1lb. of hot air weigh the same a 1lb windbag?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you drop 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle from the same height at the same time, which one will hit the ground first?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i think some of you give eachother more credit than they deserve. some dip s*its really do think that muscle honestly weighs more than fat. don't give people too much credit. most of them really are that stupid. :smile:

It does weigh more, by volume, saying they weigh the same is comparing things using the wrong variable. use weight as the variable and volume as the constant, that is how you should compare weights of 2 different matters.

The argument that they weigh the same is like saying butter and carrots have the came caloric content because 100 cals of carrots has the same cals as 100 cals of butter. It is a much better idea to keep the weights the same and say 100 grams of carrots have x calories, and 100g of butter has y, then you will see they don't have the same caloric content.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Aside from the idea of muscle actually "weighing" more than fat, I am far more bothered by the people who suggest that someone gained 5 lbs of muscle because they've been eating better and doing some cardio for two whole weeks...

That being said...someone posts this about once a day (along with a "lose" vs. "loose" thread) and people will still continue to toss that line out there, so even though I'm sure it felt good to rant, your head with explode if you let it bother you too much.