Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat and put away the damn sc

Options

Replies

• JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

What he said.

I get so tired hearing people say muscle and fat weigh the same. When people say something weighs more or less than something else they are comparing the same unit per volume (usually). What weighs more, a cup of fat or a cup of muscle? Your answer is muscle.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! Great points! I'd have to say I've been measuring ever since joining my fitness pal and I've consistently seen a change in my numbers in regards to waist and hip size. Not always have I been lucky to see a change in weight as often. It is SO motivating to put clothes on that once fit tight and are now LOOSE!

I do track both weight and measurements and recently I think I've been a little too obsessed with the scale. I think I might give the thing a rest and see how my exercising and eating right shrinks my measurements instead of my overall weight.
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Because you are replacing the fat with muscle. Muscle takes up less space for the same amount of weight. I guarantee that the said person who lost 17 inches has a much much lower body fat% than when they started. Much lower.

I get that, but this individual looks like they lost 10-15 lbs. So they would need to make a gain of 10-15lbs of lean muscle mass in 3 months while at the same time losing 10-15lbs of fat. That is a phenomenal growth rate that bodybuilders would kill for.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    thanks! by volume makes so much more sense. i understood the concept but never really the words ha
  • CJToo_Tracy
    Options
    As a newbie to the community and finally using MFP the way I should I appreciate the info....great post!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

This! I am assuming most people know 5 pounds is 5 pounds, and that when people say that they mean a portion of muscle the size of a football is going to weight more than a portion of fat that same size.

And OP, feel free to put your scale away, but I'll keep mine thanks. Seeing it go up scares me into getting my butt moving and seeing it go down gives me motivation to do even better.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I have been having conversations on this with other friends and there is something I cannot explain, or find an explanation for - there has to be one.

What causes someone to lose 17 inches (combined) but not lose any more than 1lb of overall weight over a 3 month period? This is the kind of situation that leads to the muscle weighs more than fat discussion.

Because you are replacing the fat with muscle. Muscle takes up less space for the same amount of weight. I guarantee that the said person who lost 17 inches has a much much lower body fat% than when they started. Much lower.

Yes, but it is very hard to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit. I would guess the person made mistakes and maybe lost less inches, and they were new to strength training, as when you are new to lifting you can have "beginners gains". But after that you will actually lose muscle as you lose weight.

Or when fat loss occurs sometimes water is retained, masking the loss from the scale. I know whenever I'm losing weight I tend to hang on to water and even think I'm gaining weight before the whoosh eventually happens.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Trying very hard to live by this philosophy.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line is that WEIGHT should not be the ONLY measure of fitness. If you eat healthy, exercise and look/feel good, then that is the end of the debate (IMHO). I personally don't care what I weigh as long as a I look the way I want. That said, I do know that I have extra pounds which are predominately fat. Do I want to give up any muscle in the process? Heck NO! ...BUT a preoccupation with any ONE measure (weight, strength, or inches) can *potentially* be unhealthy.

Be healthy!

Matt
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The correct way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

Man, I love a good rant over semantics. So, in your world the only answer to "which one of these weighs more" is "neither"??
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.

Its just been posted a million times, its nothing against you. People start knawing their foot off trying to get away from hearing it. You wanna tackle another one people hate on here try eating back your calories burned.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Well, let's say it like it is. I do not know the educational level of any of the people on this site. When someone posts that muscle weighs more than fat, someone will probably take that as what they are saying.....literally. I see it all the time when someone posts about being bummed that they did not lose any weight this week. You always have someone post about how they probably gained muscle instead and muscle weighs more than fat. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And for someone that is emotionally attached to the scale, they are not going to understand what they are trying to really say.

I'll give you that. Way too many people on this site respond with "oh you're just gaining muscle" Um no, you don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
    But it's been hashed and rehashed on here so many times, it's unreal.

I guess I am bringing up an old subject then. Maybe I'll do a search to see all the older posts. I'm new on the forums.

Apparently no one bothered to tell you that new people (me too) are not allowed to post or have an opinion. That's just the way it is. I think it's in the rules somewhere. I'll probably be reported just for posting to tell you this.
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is very hard to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit. I would guess the person made mistakes and maybe lost less inches, and they were new to strength training, as when you are new to lifting you can have "beginners gains". But after that you will actually lose muscle as you lose weight.

Ahhh. Beginner gains. I have never heard that term. Kewl. Something more to occupy my google time at work :)
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well, let's say it like it is. I do not know the educational level of any of the people on this site. When someone posts that muscle weighs more than fat, someone will probably take that as what they are saying.....literally. I see it all the time when someone posts about being bummed that they did not lose any weight this week. You always have someone post about how they probably gained muscle instead and muscle weighs more than fat. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And for someone that is emotionally attached to the scale, they are not going to understand what they are trying to really say.

I'll give you that. Way too many people on this site respond with "oh you're just gaining muscle" Um no, you don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
    Yes you can gain plenty of muscle while on a calorie deficit!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yes you can gain plenty of muscle while on a calorie deficit!!

If you're juicing maybe.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.
    LOL...for the record, just don't pick "lose vs. loose" or 'should I eat back my exercise calories" or the HGC diet as your second posts...hahaha.

Welcome to the forums though (it can be ugly sometimes) :drinker:

^^This - and add to that the natural sugars debate, clean eating, and whether you should do cardio or lift heavy to lose the most!

And welcome, we all love new folks here!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    OP, I completely agree with you about people saying "you must be gaining muscle." That drives me nuts. You're not going to make any muscle gains that will actually reflect on the scale without a calorie surplus and a conscientious effort to GAIN muscle. In most cases when the scale doesn't move, people are either retaining water or eating more calories than they think and not creating a deficit. Anytime someone says "you must be gaining muscle," I want to kick them in the shin.

:)
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    OP, I completely agree with you about people saying "you must be gaining muscle." That drives me nuts. You're not going to make any muscle gains that will actually reflect on the scale without a calorie surplus and a conscientious effort to GAIN muscle. In most cases when the scale doesn't move, people are either retaining water or eating more calories than they think and not creating a deficit. Anytime someone says "you must be gaining muscle," I want to kick them in the shin.

And the girls who go "OMG I did 2 days of *insert circuit based exercise programme here* and my legs turned into TREE TRUNKS"
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Ahhh. Beginner gains. I have never heard that term. Kewl. Something more to occupy my google time at work :)

Not true at all!!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

And the girls who go "OMG I did 2 days of *insert circuit based exercise programme here* and my legs turned into TREE TRUNKS"

Hah that makes me laugh too. Or the, "My muscles FEEL bigger, so I MUST be gaining muscle." Uhh, it's called water retention, your muscles do it when they're trying to repair themselves. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, I know lots of people on here are new to the whole diet/fitness thing, but I feel like if you spend 20 minutes on these forums you'll pretty much figure out the basics, as well as learn who on here actually knows what they're talking about for the most part.